31 In POC

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

S Ritzert

31 In POC

Post by S Ritzert »

I'm wondering if the owner of the 31 in Port Oconnor uses this forum. We met about mid summer (During the Texas Shootout if I remember right), A buddy and myself was looking at the Bertram on the end lift (I think it was a 35).

Anyway, I noticed you had your 31 on a trailer in your driveway this weekend. I was going to stop and have a look at it, but I did'nt see any cars around, and assumed there was nobody home. I plan on keeping my 31 down there when I get it done. The big thing to me is that the tower was up on it. My question is did you pull it through town with the tower up. I was debating putting the tower back on mine, because I intend to trailer it, I will put the tower back on, if I can get it through town safely.
Tony Meola

Re: 31 In POC

Post by Tony Meola »

Was it a Bahia Mar?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Welcome, I was surprised to see the POC Texas reference. I can’t help you with the Port O’Conner B31 owner, as I haven’t been down there since about 2019. But I wanted to say hi to a fellow POC boater. I built/kept a cabin across the bay from there on Matagorda Island for almost ten years. Sold it in 2019. I can’t tell you how much I miss my time at “The End of The Road” …Port O’Connor is a special place.

Good Luck with your B31 restoration. If you’re ever up in the Freeport Texas area PM me and we can get some lunch and BS boats and POC.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

Tony, it is a FBC.

Daniel, Pleasure to meet you! We probably landed in POC as you were leaving. We used to stay in Port A, when we didn't have a boat. I had a couple of surf rods, and fished the jettys, and flats down the cosway. I restored a Fish Nautique in 2017 as our First boat. I was limited to state water fishing, which I'm sure you know, that gets you about 60' of water at the most. We used that boat for a year, the we purchase the 28 and ended up mooring it at the marina in Rockport for the summer of 2019. When AJ season opened in 2019, I wanted to fish Falcon Rig, and a buddy of mine in POC wanted to go. I ran up to Froggys via ICW, and trailered the boat to inspect the underwater gear before making the run to Falcon. In trailering the boat, I managed to damage both wheels, and the fishing trip was ruined. I ended up storing the 28 at big Fisherman, and never left POC.

It was probably about 2018 we visited Freeport, and almost purchased a house at the Bridge Harbor Yacht club. I couldn't get my business partner on board with that house, as he wanted to purchase a house in one of the canal communities up the Oyster Creek. You don't happen to know Tom Stewart in Freeport do you?

One of my guide buddies was telling me he ran a Viking out of Freeport for a few years, and was telling me it's a shorter run to the shelf out of Freeport. I argued that with him, then the next day I pulled out a chart, and I'll be dammed, he was right! I've actually considered coming back up to Freeport to hang my spurs. We are in the process of considering selling our business, and if we get what we want our of our business, I would like to entertain moving to Freeport.

Keep in touch, I imagine we will cross paths sooner or later!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not who I was thinking of.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ritzert I had a friend with an old Fish Nautique years ago. That was kind of a neat set up, it’s the only Fish Nautique I had ever seen.

I didn’t do any offshore out of POC. My life was skinny water, too little wade fishing, and too much working on the danged ol’ cabin at that time. Lol. Froggies was our jump off point to head over to the island.

Sorry I don’t know Tom Stewart but I lived in one of those Oyster Creek canal communities for a few years. I built there in 2008. I would suggest that area vs. the Bridge Harbor area, as the Bridge Harbor area is flood zone V or VE I think, and up Oyster Creek is AE I believe. Basically, the area right near the beach takes the brunt of the wave action in a storm and farther back the creek it’s in the flood plain but doesn’t get hit with the wave energy as bad. Of course, Bridge Harbor is probably 15 minutes closer to the jetty’s and easier to get to the beach, so it’s a tradeoff. The Oyster Creek area is where I currently have my metal building that I mess around in with my old boats. If you get to looking in there and have any questions just let me know. Again welcome to the sand box.