Yanmar 240 turbos

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Yanmar 240 turbos

Post by Yannis »

I took off the turbos of my Yanmar 4LHA-STP's and the guy at the shop says he split open the two sides and realized that they have cracks and need replacement. He also said that there are NO parts for these turbos (IHI - MYDA - 119175 - 18031) so I'll have to buy new...
The best quote he can give me is €1380 plus tax, per side...

I said that the turbos were running fine until the last day and there is no soot marks anywhere outside that could denote any crack and that I took them out preventatively after 17 years.

So I guess the question now is: is it so that there are no parts and therefore they cannot be fixed so Im forced to buy new, and second, how does this quote hit you? Would it be a good idea to buy refurbished, probably cheaper, but what guarantee would this provide in the long run?

Any ideas are welcome!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: Yanmar 240 turbos

Post by Carl »

Yannis- I cannot offer much aside from providing the lead Tony gave a few posts back.
Good luck

https://turboturbos.com/
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

This might be worth a second opinion.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis if I guessed right that is about $1,500 us dollars for new ones. My friend purchased two new ones from Turbo Turbo for $3,500 US. Not sure what kind of deal you can get with Shipping. He received free shipping, and he received a couple of hundred back for sending them the old ones. They had to be together and intact. They did not care that the waste gate was trashed.

By the way that was recent, as in last July.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I'm looking on the internet and located a few firms abroad, but still in Europe, that sell for less, around € 1000, tax included.

I also assume that any deal with a US firm will be subject to tax that cannot be predicted (no one knows what category these fall into so they can calculate the right tax), plus, shipping costs for 20-30 kgs of iron half way around the globe is another unknown...

Yes, I will take another opinion but meanwhile I'm doing my homework...
I'll come back next week after my mechanic has seen them open and threw in his ideas too.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"