full repaint recommendations in Baltimore or close by

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

full repaint recommendations in Baltimore or close by

Post by Todd Pearce »

The boat i am looking at in a few weeks is a 60 ft enclosed bridge boat, it was built 2000, so i thinking it will need a repaint, its in Baltimore ish area, thinking its worth investigating painting it there rather than back in NZ, we dont have the level of dedicated facilities that you have, also all materials are basically imported from the USA,
So any suggestions on paint shops/boat yards in the area?? any places to avoid, any bright ideas welcome
Tony Meola

Re: full repaint recommendations in Baltimore or close by

Post by Tony Meola »

Worton Creek Marina does a lot of 31's. I have never used them, so I would check closely.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

Todd,

In my opinion, for the hull, topsides, bridge, cockpit, etc on a 60’, I’d guess $100K+.
Worton Creek can give you a better ballpark estimate. I hear that Cam has had good luck there. I haven’t had any work done there but I’ve seen their work. John P. is a good, honest guy in my opinion. And I assume they still have a PT boat that they’re restoring.

Do you know what the current paint is? or is it gelcoat? Gelcoat should be able to be buffed out. I’ve heard Imron and Awlcraft 2 can be buffed out. AwlGrip – just a good cleaning and maybe an awlgrip wax but if its chalky it will need to be sanded down and repainted.

If I found the same boat you’re looking at – looks like its shed kept so repainting might not be necessary.

Since you asked for ideas… you’re probably aware of the below already and I’m sure the surveyor will walk you through it, but just in case…

The price seems pretty low for that boat – is there a way to check for insurance claims to see if it ran aground or sunk, hurricane damage? We’ve had some big storms in the Chesapeake since 2000.

Oil Analysis: Do you know how many hours are on the engines, gears and transmissions, generator? Before you travel all the way over here, I’d suggest having your surveyor take oil samples from the engines, transmissions, generator and ship it out to the lab. It takes me over a week to get the results from samples back on my truck. I think you said you’re just in the states for 4 days…

Hull: check the shaft alignment at the transmission, compare between port and stbd. If it was run aground and the hull was compromised, not repaired properly then you might see a big difference between port and stbd.

Following Yannis’ thought, there’s a 63’ same mfg, in Auckland for $795K. looks like its rigged for fishing, 7,700 hours on the engines. That boat + $150K for repower and new generator might be a better deal than the 60 footer in Maryland, +shipping and repairs, +paint, etc. (not that I could afford the fuel for the generators on those boats but just a thought)

Finally, restaurants, things to do, places to stay: I agree w/Cam and John on their recommendations

Places to stay: I wouldn’t stay in Baltimore. There are nice safe places in Kent Narrows.
There’s a new Hyatt Place right next to the Narrows, nice place – you can park the car and walk to a lot of restaurants.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/maryl ... wizk/rooms
I would call the front desk directly to book a room – otherwise, there are a lot of “fake” 3rd part websites which will charge you more for a substandard room at the same place.

Restaurants:
I haven’t heard of the Almalfi Coast restaurant before John F. mentioned it so my wife and I stopped in this past weekend – excellent!
The Narrows is always good. Excellent crabcakes, the oysters Rockefeller wasn’t what it used to be. The Fisherman’s Inn has really good oyster stew, full menu and very good deserts.

Eastport: Lewnes in Eastport has bone-in fillet (recently – hadn’t seen that in the past) which was excellent. All their steaks are excellent. and the oysters Rockefeller great. The Boatyard and Davis’ are always fun – good food at the Boatyard.

Things to do:
The main Groco factory is in Stevensville. The foundry is still in Pennsylvania I think.
If you call the chief engineer or site manager, they’ll give you a free tour and a cup of coffee. They have some of the original drill presses that they still use today (well, that was 10 yrs ago when I was last there)
https://www.groco.net/about-us

I second what others have said, If you have time, definitely drive up to Worton Creek Marina – maybe call ahead and schedule a tour.
http://wortoncreek.com/contact-us/

St Michaels and the Chesapeake Maritime museum
Watch your speed as you get to St. Michaels – 25mph speed traps.

Wishing you all the best in your next boat purchase.

Hutch
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks gentlemen, ill make good use of those recommendations, looking forward to seeing the boat in the flesh
Hucth, thanks for your thoughts, the boat here in NZ is a very unusual layout/configuration that i don`t like, that boats been for sale for over two years
, its actually in good condition, but it was built for a very specific client who used it extensively offshore chasing game fish all over the pacific, as such its got no front screen , which i want to have as i don`t game fish offshore, and i love the visibility and light
there`s two other boats available here , neither actually advertised,both good boats, both are in great order for the age meaning i have to pay a premium for things i don`t like/want . My attraction to the boat in Maryland is that its a blank canvas it needs updating , but that means i can do it my way,to my specs, i guess ill know next week, kinda exciting to have a little adventure