Replacement VHF

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Replacement VHF

Post by Amberjack »

Its time to replace my aging Icom 502. I've been happy with it and would like to come as close to "like to like" as possible. We listen to it but hardly ever use it and carry it primarily for safety. We don't need AIS and never use DSC. It would need to plug it into my existing NEMA 2000 network and be able to transmit my GPS position in an emergency. I've read through the features for various models on the Icom website but I'm not current enough to really understand what I'm reading. Any suggestions?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Re: Replacement VHF

Post by Yannis »

Doug, I have exactly the same concerns.
So, I left the existing VHF alone and bought a handheld waterproof one. I figured,if I ever fall overboard and still have it with me I will be able to communicate while swimming...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

If you're off shore and find yourself in the water, it's also not a terrible idea to carry a handheld that can tune to frequencies used by aircraft. If you're anywhere near an airport and you keep the local approach and departure frequencies stored in the radio, you'll have a pretty good chance of being heard by someone.

Even if you're 50 or 60 miles from the airport, incoming jet traffic is going to be under 10,000 feet and outbound traffic won't be much higher. Obviously it's line of sight..... The aviation handhelds have at least a 5 mile range.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotSto ... cgQAvD_BwE
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

Great tip. Is any type of special license needed ?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

No special operators license needed (in the US). Just don't use those frequencies unless you're an airplane or having an emergency.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Thanks

Would be cool to just listen in. Heck down in South Jersey we have all kinds of aircraft going in and out of McGuire.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315