Surveyor in Annapolis

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Surveyor in Annapolis

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi to all, I am planing on flying up from New Zealand ( 17 hours direct to JFK ) to look at a boat located at the Kent Narrows Yacht Yard, which is pretty close to Annapolis/yorktown, the last boat i had surveyed in the USA the surveyor did a very poor job and i paid the price,this time i want a good recommendation for someone very fussy and thorough to the point of being downright picky , its not that i am expecting a perfect boat, its that i want to fully understand the scope of what i am in for .In particular the structural side of things, the boat in question is completely balsa core and if they leak i know its a problem, the boats were built to Lloyd`s so the build quality is there but the maintance is unknown as its a deceased estate and i dont think its moved for over 12 months perhaps longer
So its the structural integrity that i really want to check, moisture levels and hammer soundings around the vents, hatches,windows,ports,through hulls etc that i want to deep dive into , mechanical etc is secondary
Any and all thoughts info welcomed
Regards Todd
Tony Meola

Re: Surveyor in Annapolis

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

We just discussed this in another post. Here you go.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15637
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Todd,

I am flying into the same area next weekend to have a 1970 Bertram 38 surveyed and I recently asked for surveyor recommendations for the same general area. Both Carl and Neil were able to give me some good solid leads on local surveyors.

Here is the link to that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15637

I selected 3C marine 904-495 5279 for a couple reasons. One was based on the fact that Niel’s friend, who is local, had him as recommended, and the second reason I picked 3C marine was the fact they had performed a survey on the exact boat I’m looking at back in March of 2022. The surveyor for 3C marine is Bedford Cook Glascock (goes by Cook). He seemed to do a good job in 2022.

The seller I’m working with had the boat surveyed in both April of 2021 (different surveyor) and in March of 2022 (3C Marine). He was nice enough to furnish me both surveys.

I felt that Cook with 3C Marine seemed to do a more thorough job on the second 2022 survey. The B38 I’m looking at seems to have been well maintained and both surveyors listed the boat’s overall condition as good to very good for it’s age. The 2021 surveyor listed a few findings and recommendations and most were very generic items you would likely find on any boat that age. The second 2022 survey (3C Marine/Cook) had several findings and recommendations and they were very specific and detailed. With only 11 months between the two surveys, I don’t think the boat changed much, but it seemed like the guy from 3C may have looked a little harder. He also included in the survey a narrative in regard to the methodology he uses in measuring and analyzing the moisture readings he takes on the hull, which I found helpful.

Additionally, he valued the boat at 65% of the valuation given in 2021 by the previous surveyor, which I believe is much more in line with current market pricing for that boat.

Other than that, I don’t know the guy from Adam, but if all goes well with the yard pulling the boat Cook should get it done for me Jan 29th. I asked if he mined if I (the buyer) was on the boat with him while he did the survey and he said he requires it if at all possible.

Oh, and one other thing. He has a B33, his dad had a B42, and his grandpa had a B31. So, he’s keen on the Bertrams. Lol

I’m sure any of the three options the guys suggested would be good, but that’s why I went with the guy I picked.

Good luck with your possible next boat. Let me know if I can help. What days are you flying in? We might be there at the same time.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Tony,

I guess I was composing my usual long-winded reply while you were getting right to the point. lol
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks to you both, haven't booked flights yet as my dad is very ill but either the 20th feb, or the 10th march just waiting to see how it all plays out but i am very keen to get up there
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dan

Yes, but you gave him the facts to why you made the selection of surveyors. Which in my mind what i would have looked for if it was me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Tony, I was just kidding around. Thought it was funny that when I started writing no one had posted and by the time I got done there was a new post. Guess you were up late.

Todd, my thoughts are with you and your dad. Hope the best for you both.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks guys, one last question, approximately what would i expect to pay for a survey in the usa
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Todd,

The only guy I got far enough along in the process to talk price with was 3C marine. And he has his prices posted on his web page, pre-purchase is “$30/foot up to 40 feet, contact for larger vessels” according to his website.

I'm going to be in for right around a grand for my 38. No idea what premium he would expect for a larger vessel.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I live about 10 minutes from Kent Narrows/Kent Island Yacht Yard. I don't know any local surveyors, but let me know if I can help
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

My buddy bought his boat a stones throw away form there at Cedar Point Marina on Kent Island, nice place and a great ride home.
Todd, it will be a real long ride for you. You'd better top it off before leaving.

Good luck.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

My surveyor would declare me in poor condition if I spent 17 hours on an airplane!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Carl, yes i think we might struggle on fuel range to drive her home!! She`d be a long haul that`s for sure, funny enough i`ve been told it can be done, but its not an option for me, i am not that brave!!
Team i am arriving the 19th and there for 4 days staying locally to the boat, any cool things to do in my down time, great sights? great Food, any big sports events on?
Also, anyone got any contacts for shipping? the price is just crazy so i need to try and find a great option and also someone to build a cradle to suit
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

When I was inquiring to move a boat from the US to Europe on a cradle, I was told that there is a type of carrier that needs no cradle, they somehow load the yacht on a cradle of their own.
Until I learned the above I had spent countless hours into either trying to find a used cradle or build one, however nobody could supply any useful blueprints...

Bottomline, I bought my boat locally and that was at the time the right thing to do.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

I like Harris Crab House, but I’m far from local to know what’s best.

Yes, possible can be quite the stretch.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I never pass Kent Narrows without stopping at the Narrows Restaurant for crab soup.
https://thenarrowsrestaurant.com/

You may wish to consult the experts at Worton Creek Marina for the pre-purchase and shipping options since they are relatively close. They have significant experience with Bertrams, including mine!

http://wortoncreek.com/

Good Luck
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

If I recall Todd was looking for a Salthouse.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Todd Pearce wrote: Jan 27th, '24, 16:17 Carl, yes i think we might struggle on fuel range to drive her home!! She`d be a long haul that`s for sure, funny enough i`ve been told it can be done, but its not an option for me, i am not that brave!!
Team i am arriving the 19th and there for 4 days staying locally to the boat, any cool things to do in my down time, great sights? great Food, any big sports events on?
Also, anyone got any contacts for shipping? the price is just crazy so i need to try and find a great option and also someone to build a cradle to suit
Todd-

I live on Kent Island. If you want to meet up for a beer, let me know. For restaurants, Cam is right--cream of crab at the Narrows is about the best. The food was great there. I think its under new management or something, and the food has fallen to good. Bridges is right nearby, and is a great place for lunch with a nice view. Knoxies Table right by the Bay Bridge is a go-to of ours. Good food, drinks, and its just nice. Libbys is down the same road and owned by the same company, and the bar food is good and the view great. If you want Italian food, Amalfi Coast is really good. I'm partial to the Lobster Ravioli.

There are some great restaurants in Annapolis--O'Leary's for seafood, Lewnes for steaks (both pricey), and Dry 85 for great bar food and the best Old Fashions and bourbons, Davis Pub for local place in Eastport with the best bar sandwich (steak sandwich), and the Boatyard in Eastport for solid bar food. Annapolis is a nice small town to walk around.

If you want to venture to St Michaels, Eastern Shore Brewing has some great beers, and Ava's has the best meatballs (subs, or you can get just one meatball). The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Mike's is pretty cool.

And of course, there's DC. So, so much to see and do in DC.

Hope this helps.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks to everyone, some great advice, its getting closer now so i am getting things organised,
As usual everyone here has been great , its very very much appreciated