Cigarette N A Six Pack

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Cigarette N A Six Pack

Post by Carl »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8rOs8V7_ys

It looks great, its sharp, I'd love to have, N run for a couple of hours...then I'm not sure what I'd do with it, aside from filling it up at the Gas dock. Hmmm..maybe let the next owner do that.
DanielM

Re: Cigarette N A Six Pack

Post by DanielM »

I was down in Key West a couple weeks ago and happened to be there during the Offshore racing championships.

I think I walked by and checked out that very boat. There were quite a few boats like it (private boats not the actual race boats), and it was crazy. I didn’t even know they made a 500 hp outboard, but everybody had 5 or 6 of them.

As for what to do with them. I’m pretty sure I saw one rod holder on each gunnel near that drinking area called a cockpit. I guess you could go trolling.

They are kind of neat to look at and would be fun to ride, but not much after that for me. And I’ve been married long enough that the trophies they are actually trolling for with that boat wouldn’t do me any good.

I didn’t get to see any races as we were only there for a few hours, but the actual races boats on display were cool. Mostly I spent my time going to the CGC Ingham museum. It’s a retired Coast Guard Cutter that I’ve been waiting to see. I got more out of that than the go-fast boats. It was very cool.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

In my years on the water I've seen ocean racers, always from a distance. They made a lot of noise and seemed to be running in circles. Didn't think much about them.

Until a few years ago. We were running north in Admiralty Inlet on Amberjack on a bright summer day riding an outgoing tide in a 10-12 knot south wind. Fine for us in a Bertram 31 in a but anyone going south would be running into a short, steep chop. I heard them before we saw them, a pair of ocean racers in the 40-45' range. They popped out of a light fog bank heading south at 35-40 knots moving effortlessly in the chop. Perfectly stable. They passed us at about 100 feet and left hardly any wake. Inboards, as it should be. I said I could hear them but they weren't overly loud, just very cool. They were.....impressive.

I don't know what I'd do on one of them other than as you said, drive it for a couple hours and then send it back to the owner but I fell in love with them that day. Whoever designed and built those boats knew what they were doing.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

I fully understand the allure of high performance boats, but 6 outboard to push a 52’ Center Console style boat 80 mph is a big, ok cool, but why.

Yes they are fast, but not race boat fast. I like open boats, but 50’ of open is absurd. Cabin is sharp, but

I guess built to impress. I am impressed, but still wonder why.

Then again I look at these modern European designs n wonder why.

I guess it all goes back to that saying, different strokes for different folks. We here are mostly all of he same stroke, so I assume no answers to my question of WHY?

To the didn’t know they made 500hp motors, I believe Seven has 625hp outboards.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I bet if you a 30-year-old single billionaire you would have gold chains hanging from your neck along with one of these docked next to your 90-foot Viking and a Ferrari along with 5 Victoria secret models.

I could see it now, the wind blowing through your hair as you raced along at 85 MPH. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Yep, different strokes for different folks. I don’t begrudge anyone how they want to enjoy their boats. Heck, if I had that kind of money, I’d probably want two of ‘em.

The actual race boats on display on land that day were impressive (non-race day). To the design comment, they had one flip this year and both crewmen lived and from what I read uninjured, says a lot about the design and building that goes into them. It would be cool to catch the races.

And to 625hp outboards. I had no idea folks were producing outboards that large. I need to be less oblivious.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 10:31 And to 625hp outboards. I had no idea folks were producing outboards that large. I need to be less oblivious.
Sorry, my bad 627hp outboards

https://www.yachtworld.com/research/pow ... arine-627/

DanielM wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 10:31 Yep, different strokes for different folks. I don’t begrudge anyone how they want to enjoy their boats. Heck, if I had that kind of money, I’d probably want two of ‘em.
True, Daniel. You might be right, I may be a bit jealous of not having that type of money. I am happy for anyone who can buy n enjoy. Everyone has their way to enjoy their time on the water.

But if I did have money to blow... I would buy something like this

https://www.hammacher.com/product/kille ... 5530cdf336

Or this, it would be money well spent!

https://www.hammacher.com/product/world ... 5530cdf336
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m a big fan of Nauti style. It’s great to watch these boat tours of all different boats even when they’re not my thing. For a few years I’ve been watching everything they put out.

I’m not sure what I’d do with a boat like that but there is an ass for every seat.

Here is a beast, the Valhalla flys, it’s beautiful and a very capable fishing boat.

https://youtu.be/OMIppKSGJL4?si=AcMRWbJjDuIROIBk
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Viking has come a long way with their boats.

I would say they are now what Hatteras and Bertram were in their prime. The Valhalla is a beautiful boat. Those Mercs are burning 40 gallons an hour at 33 knots and 80 at the top end. Thirsty compared to our diesels but they get you there in half the time, so it all balances out.

You are right that boat is a beast.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

This company with the hybrid Jeep only serves the USA and Canada, d@mn it!!
I was ready to place an order when a pop up informed me of this limitation, d@mn it again!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 19:43 I’m a big fan of Nauti style. It’s great to watch these boat tours of all different boats even when they’re not my thing. For a few years I’ve been watching everything they put out.

I’m not sure what I’d do with a boat like that but there is an ass for every seat.

Here is a beast, the Valhalla flys, it’s beautiful and a very capable fishing boat.

https://youtu.be/OMIppKSGJL4?si=AcMRWbJjDuIROIBk
Awesome machine. Just a note: At 14:06 Dan uses the word "practical" to describe this beast! :-D
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

[quote=DanielM post_id=150776 time=1700580711 user_id=91
625hp outboards. I had no idea folks were producing outboards that large.
[/quote]

I have to imagine that as horsepower goes up the service life of these motors goes down. 627 HP is a lot of punch to squeeze into an OB cowling. Maybe measured in 100’s of hours instead of 1,000’s.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Nov 21st, '23, 23:11 Carl,

This company with the hybrid Jeep only serves the USA and Canada, d@mn it!!
I was ready to place an order when a pop up informed me of this limitation, d@mn it again!
Aww…sorry Yannis. If you want I’ll pick one up n you can come borrow it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote: Nov 22nd, '23, 17:07
I have to imagine that as horsepower goes up the service life of these motors goes down. 627 HP is a lot of punch to squeeze into an OB cowling. Maybe measured in 100’s of hours instead of 1,000’s.

It is only money and outboards, have a problem unbolt and install a new one n done.

Oh, except there seems to be a wait on new motors n parts I’m told. Had one boat in place by me for weeks with the lower ends removed waiting for parts.

One of my customers loved speed having all the toys to prove it. His moto was “speed costs”. Very true words.
It was true with diesels too, I guess still is…but I recall 6-53 motors that were 160-ish hp natural pushed to 400hp with twin turbos. I think Whaler had those n his 31 that he pulled n they went to Thudd for his Hatteras Express aka- planter. I think Johnson N Towers had the rep for building grenade diesels as they were so high strung pulling every ounce of power from the motors. Motors that used to last a lifetime were reduced to a few season if pushed hard,
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well let’s make this interesting. Diesel outboard designed boat. Remember I’ve been boatless for two years, if there is a video I’ve watched it.

https://youtu.be/RVjLPC23jh0?si=b3j9n_1LeYxbJxBn
Carl

Post by Carl »

If I had to choose from a big CC I’d go with the Valhalla….but I don’t so I won’t. Diesel outboards,..I’ve seen’em, yup a cool factor. I’m still not sold on hanging 50k motor or 2 a couple inches off the water, salt water at that. Super small light high power diesel…I’m not feeling it.

That said, if money is not an option, sure why not.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Carl, I like that amphibious jeep. For many years I had an off-the-grid fishing cabin on an undeveloped Texas barrier island. It was an old WWII decommissioned Army Air Corps air base and the only way to get there was by boat or plane. Each trip I’d have to have someone drop me off about 100 yards from shore, wade in, then hike through the salt grass to get to the cabin and start up one of the 4 wheelers to go get the rest of the crew (all the while hoping one would start lol).

I always thought an amphibious would be the ticket. However, for 159k I could have just bit the bullet and bought an old Cessna and got there that way. But that jeep would be one cool toy.

Peter, That Valhalla is a gorgeous boat and a beast, it’s remarkable how beautiful a boat it is. But I think I still like the one you just repowered better.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote: Nov 23rd, '23, 01:27
Peter, That Valhalla is a gorgeous boat and a beast, it’s remarkable how beautiful a boat it is. But I think I still like the one you just repowered better.
Leaving money out of the equation, if I could only have one boat of the two, it would be my 31, or my 31 with Peters new power. I admire the Valhalla, would love to have and enjoy, but it would not be my first choice on many days… at least not the way I use a boat here and now.
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

Daniel, one of my best buddies spent two years on the Ingham, thinking 71 - 72. He said they spent a lot of time in the rough ass North Atlantic launching weather ballons and beating ice of the ship with baseball bats! He said he spent a lot of nights strapped in his rack to keep from waking up on the floor.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

HP = Air and fuel.
The more HP, the more air and fuel you consume.
The more air and fuel you consume to produce hp the more stress you put on the engine and heat you have to dissipate.

That my friends is just stupid money doing what it does best......enriching the economy.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

DCJ, it was cool to tour the ship. I like anything that floats, and it was a cool bonus to see all the go-fast boats that day. They were gorgeous works of art and engineering, but I’m partial to old boats. All in all, a good day.

Sounds like your buddy had a heck of a tour.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote: Nov 23rd, '23, 09:17 Leaving money out of the equation, if I could only have one boat of the two, it would be my 31, or my 31 with Peters new power. I admire the Valhalla, would love to have and enjoy, but it would not be my first choice on many days… at least not the way I use a boat here and now.
Well if that unlimited budget came with the limitation of fishing after work on Staten Island I would tend to agree. The new 35 or a 38 billfish aren’t bad options though. These Valhallas are really amazing, especially if you are in FL and want to hop over to the Bahamas and don’t mind managing all the systems.

The complexity is my hang up, the beauty of the direction I’m going in; repairing the fridge requires a new drain plug in the cooler, maintaining the AC requires the cleaning of the window track. Well you catch my drift, same reason my dream car is a Shelby cobra and not a Bugatti.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love the Billfish! I’d take one of those over the CC, including the Valhalla. Unless I could have two boats or fishing / boating a different area.

I like how we can decide which is more practical, a Cobra or Bugatti… lol.

Friend / customer built a beautiful Cobra replica… the car was off the wall crazy. Not close to what would be considered practical…aside from a great way to produce a smile. But as you said, very simple, alum tube frame, big motor n some fiberglass with a few simplistic manual switch’s. Very odd car for a 6’ plus guy. Looked like a go cart… n it did go.

Billfish, very nice… price, not so much. But we are leaving that part out, right?
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I always wanted a Bertram 31 SF and was fortunate enough to be able to buy one when I was younger and cash was tight. Now after almost 25 years of projects its set up the way I want and I'm happy. I'll stand pat with my current and last boat and enjoy the heck out of it.

As for the crazy money, Bill Gates and Elon Musk don't seem to be very happy guys so I'm going to avoid it like the plague. Well, maybe I'd keep a couple thousand bucks and spend it on someone to teach me how to catch salmon.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Doug, I’m with you my 31 is staying the duration too. But as you can see I can dream with the best of them.

Carl I have one complaint about our boats and it’s pretty simple. I want an unobstructed view from the cockpit through the aft windows and out the front windows. I have a way of drifting directly at other objects. And I don’t want to have to pee sitting down to do so. Otherwise prefect. So I don’t need a 38 billfish a 34 Rybovich would do just fine.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter the Shelby is a sore subject with me. Back in the early 80's money was really tight. Heck I wasn't making much but had beer money and could pay the rent. I had a boss that was into old cars. He asked what my dream car was. I said Shelby Mustang COBRA. He said I can find you one for $5,000. I couldn't afford it back then, so I had to pass. UGH! Still kicking myself.

As far as the 31, yes, the last boat. When my father bought it back in 75, one of his customers said that is the last boat you will ever need to buy. Now I have it and it will probably be my one and only. Even though I get tempted from time to time to get a smaller outboard. But with age creeping up we have to be realistic.

The 31 fits all of our needs and can be made more comfortable if I want to put some money into her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I hear you Peter, I troll alot and the ability to see what's ahead would be nice from the cockpit. One upside to the express configuration is it's just a step up to see. My last boat I had the canvas bimini top made tall with clear plastic so I had an unobstructed view. The canvas guy argued with me about how it would look wrong and...that was till he installed and understood.

Drifting...don't tell anyone because this is kind of embarrassing. A few years ago I was trolling on a not so nice day around this time of the year. You know the ones when you the only boat out there, it's cold, damp, and blowing good so nice n rough...but fish were biting. I get a nice hit, pull motors out of gear n start fighting the fish. Now going beam to the boat is rock N rolling good, stuff starts falling inside cabin, the tackle boxes that were sitting on the motor box hit the floor...stuff everywhere. I had enough, bring fish in then start steaming home. The wave subside a bit as I get closer in, I look at the mess in the cockpit n decide to clean up. So I stop in the middle of nowhere and start putting stuff away. BANG bang BANG...I look up and it's a buoy, I hit a buoy ...I drifted into a buoy that had to be a quarter mile away from where I started in what seemed like no time. Wind n tide can really move ya quickly. I learned a couple of things that day...always be aware of your surroundings even when in the middle of no place, small buoys are really really big up close, buoys are very hard and make a huge noise if hit with a boat...even just drifting, and the last thing...don't clean up, just leave it.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: Nov 28th, '23, 08:16
I had enough, bring fish in then start steaming home. The wave subside a bit as I get closer in, I look at the mess in the cockpit n decide to clean up.

I learned a couple of things that day......don't clean up, just leave it.
Thanks Carl for a classic lesson on decision making: the 'urgent' (cleaning up the mess that's bugging you) vs the 'important' (getting the boat home safely).
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Rough day fishing alone, I hope you were wearing an inflatable.

Yes, boats do drift fast. Never drifted into a buoy. I know someone who hit one at night and sunk the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

The way the boat shuddered drifting into a small nun buoy I cannot image what it would be like to hit one when moving. I can see sinking as a result without a doubt. Fishing alone is the norm for me. At that time no inflatable was worn. I did decide to buy and start wearing one a couple of seasons ago when reaching out to grab the downrigger ball on a less-than-admiral day trolling. Nothing in particular happened, but something clicked that the boat is not going to stop if I fell over, it would not double back, and even if it did I'd be sure to stay clear of it. I just remember looking around without a boat in sight thinking it would be a hell of a swim to shore...not that I'd have survived long in the cold water, but at least they'd find a body sooner than later. So yes, now when I troll alone I put the inflatable on.
I still cannot believe how fast the boat drifted in a fairly short time...yes in New York Bay or Ambrose with river current and ocean current a drift can be way faster than trolling, but this was way back in Raritan Bay, far from the channels, the 4 Buoy was a lone mid marker in the middle of nowhere that could hardly be seen when I stopped. Whatever...I did learn the lesson to be aware always. It could have easily been a boat or a sailboat without a lookout that came up on me. I have had plenty of what could have been close calls anchored up with saiboats Bee lining it to a T-Bone. Its start-up motors, give a couple of horn honks and get ready to drop anchor and go then a head pops up and a tack around. Not fun.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

You need a personal locater beacon attached to your belt. At least if you went over with the jacket on, you could trigger the beacon. Might still not make it in cold water but increases your chances.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

Every time I’m out I have to get on the helm and drop the boat in gear so I don’t run into a buoy. It’s obviously when I’m inshore drifting for fluke or something. Every single time that happens I think to myself there is no way for a million bucks I could pull a 1/2 mile away and set my drift up perfectly to hit that buoy.

That being said I was on a friends boat many years ago and they hit a buoy at night at a decent speed. Put a good size hole in the boat. It was at a height that was taking on water when we stopped but high enough that getting the boat up on plane got the hole high enough out of the water. Good times.