10/14 - Devil's Bridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

10/14 - Devil's Bridge

Post by ktm_2000 »

The forecast this past weekend was not friendly with 20+kts winds and 4-6' seas for offshore fishing. Inshore the seas seemed fine even though it was going to blow 15-20kts, gusting higher. A friend had been hearing reports of Albies/Bonito along the elizabeth islands out to sw corner of the vineyard so we went for a ride and went looking.

We went down the buzzards bay side and went through Quicks Hole and found a few pods that would come up for 45 seconds or so and then back down. No real large pods of bait so nothing stayed up long nor did it attract birds so it was blind luck finding fish. We headed over to the Vineyard near Devil's Bridge and found a few boats doing some run and gun for albies and we started trolling fast track rapalas and had a couple rods rigged up with epoxy minnows for casting. Trolling didn't do much for us as there were a lot of weeds in the water but during that time we saw large masses of fish just off the bottom. Stopping over a pile and dropping down the jigs brought up some really nice Black Sea bass. Too bad the season on them was closed and all needed to be relased :( Even still catching something was better than nothing so we kept jigging them up, I'd have to say pound for pound a black sea bass will out fight a striper hands down. We caught and released a few dozen and then joined the boats doing the run and gun. As we fished, we watched the front coming in from the south of Noman's, any rod left in the rod holder the braid started singing from the wind, the kind of song which says gonna get your but kicked and the seas kicked up.

We tried for the albies for another hour before starting to head back, doing so, crossing Vineyard sound was sporty. We stopped in Robinson's hole and finding lots of bait but nothing under them, the sound was nasty with tide heading south and wind heading north so even though we were headed down-sea, the period was short and the nice wide bow of the Bertram came in really handy. Nothing again in Woods hole, and the ride back through buzzards bay was rough till we could get out of the long fetch.

I'm not giving up on running the boat, hoping to chase tuna another time before they disappear.
jackryan

Re: 10/14 - Devil's Bridge

Post by jackryan »

Great report! Good luck getting those late season tuna!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

NIce report. Looks like this coming weekend is not going to be good either.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Please don't rub it in :)

NOAA
TonightN winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Scattered showers.
TueN winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft. Scattered showers.
Tue NightE winds around 5 kt, becoming SW around 5 kt after midnight. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
WedSW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 2 ft. Scattered showers.
Wed Night Through Thu NightS winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
FriS winds around 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. A chance of rain.
Fri NightS winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Rain.
SatSE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. Rain. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.
Sat NightSW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 4 to 5 ft. Rain likely. seas are reported as significant wave height, which is the average of the highest third of the waves. Individual wave heights may be more than twice the significant wave height.

The only day that looks good is wednesday. On windy.com the winds are calming down tues night and picks up mid day wednesday.

If I look at my work calendar Wed is not going to happen as I have meetings straight through 8am-5:30PM, Project Managers are vicious this time of year as I am double booked 4hours of the day.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If it rains this weekend that will make 7 straight weekends for us down here. UGH.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315