Rod Racks in Cabin?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Rod Racks in Cabin?

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

I am interested in getting some rod storage in my cabin and was thinking of using lees rod storage holders https://www.leetackle.com/rodstorage.html

I am trying to figure out how to set it up and look reasonable as I shortened my cabin, the other issue I am worried about is the thickness of the cabin roof and poking holes through the deck as I think the front deck only has a 1/2" of marine ply on the underside and I am worried about pulling out screws in rough conditions.

I am wondering if I could drill a hole in my anchor locker and slide the butt of the rod in that hole and then install the locking clip ring on my cabin roof. The locking ring portion wouldn't need to support as much weight in that setup and would have less chance of pulling out screws.

thoughts? does anyone make a nice method of dressing up a hole drilled in the anchor locker?
CamB25

Re: Rod Racks in Cabin?

Post by CamB25 »

I think you are correct regarding the 1/2" ply in the forepeak/cuddy ceiling. The glass is fairly thick so you might be safe with 1/2"or so, screw. Mcmaster has all sorts of edge protectors and grommets you can use for the anchor locker bulkhead.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/edge-protectors/
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Years ago, a friend of ours stored his rods up in the v berth hanging from the over head. Not sure what size screws he used but they never pulled out and he had the old international 50's on the rods.

I don't think you will have any issues.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It is an idea I have considered before. I think you might be safer cutting slots in the overhead and epoxying wood strips directly to the bottom side of the deck. Then you could safely screw into them. I was thinking about lining the holes into the anchor locker with PVC so the rod tips would slide in easier. Putting the rods in tip first just seemed a lot easier to me. I was going to experiment with heating and flaring the end of the pvc to make a flare on the end so the rod would go in easier. Alternatively some of the pvc sand spud rod holders already come that way, so they could be repurposed. I have the Lee holders in the main cabin and they work well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

If I cant use a screw, I use an even better material called Sicaflex.
I believe that the light side of a rod can very well hang without any problem.
Clean well with alcohol both surfaces, apply sicaflex, secure with a tape for a few hours and you're done.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

what do you think of this idea? combo of thoughts here

purchase some of the cheapo SS 90 degree rod holders from ebay and drill holes in the anchor locker bulkhead and then install the rod holders so I can put the butt end in the bulkhead then use the lee's locking part screwed onto a board which is epoxy'd and screwed into the cabin roof.

not the cheapest option but any stress should be on the anchor locker and by putting the butt end of the rod in the anchor locker it gets rid of some of the length of the rods.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good idea!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Speaking of good ideas...................

It is wise to measure how deep your cabin is before taking on this operation. I'm sure this will only really apply to me as I shortened my cabin to get more deck space.

I really wanted it to store some wire line rods and a mix of other inshore fishing rods and none of them fit in the cabin when in the rod holders.

There is enough room to fit my offshore rods and also my telescoping outrigger poles so it isn't all in vain. I think to simplify I will put a couple eylets and use a bungy cord on each side to keep them held in place up in place
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPwwqnwD6PTYrmag9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Krw7rKbgQYXfFG37A
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks good. I like it. Just make sure the anchor line will not hang up on the piece sticking into the locker.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000 wrote: Aug 7th, '23, 18:51 It is wise to measure how deep your cabin is before taking on this operation. I'm sure this will only really apply to me as I shortened my cabin to get more deck space.
Standard 31 cabin. I still find it difficult to fit a lot of my rods in the V-berth.