Outriggers, Open Cabin and Engine Box Supports

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TwoCoconuts

Outriggers, Open Cabin and Engine Box Supports

Post by TwoCoconuts »

Open cabin -

I have been working on my 70 31' for the past couple of years. I like the upgraded larger windows, but it seems taking down the SF wall to make it an open cabin and install isinglass would be ideal. I've already removed the old bathroom and sink, its just open space on the starboard interior until I install a countertop. Any suggestions, do it or don't do it?

Riggers -

looking for some swing out outriggers maybe 15-20 ft. Any suggestions?

Engine Box Supports -

My old teak ones are toasted. Any suggestions? I was just thinking some aluminum angle brackets...Also, maybe I am over thinking it but is there any danger in having people sit on the boxes while the motors are running. I know everyone does it but I worry about someone's hair somehow finding its way into the engine compartment...

thnx
Tony Meola

Re: Outriggers, Open Cabin and Engine Box Supports

Post by Tony Meola »

Opening up the rear bulkhead requires that you add additional support for the fly bridge. Not sure what is needed perhaps someone else has an idea on what needs to be done.

Think about what you are going to use in place of the bathroom. Especially if you have female crew. They need their privacy.

On a 31 15 foot outriggers are too short. The original on ours are Lee SR. and the poles where 19 foot long. We have not changed them, but I would have liked them to have flattened out a little further.

Supports for the engine box's, you have a lot of choices there. Fiberglass, mahogony, teak etc. Not sure I would use metal. I would be afraid that the vibration would cause excessive where on the box where it sits on the support. Sitting or laying on the box is not a problem. I have never heard of anyone having anything sucked into the engine room with the box closed.

I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I hope being on the motor boxes is not a problem as that is my helm, either standing or sitting there.

As to hair getting sucked in, I don't see that as an issue...kinda. The kinda part is if maybe their hair was right up against the bulkhead and the support under the box was missing in that section, yes I guess hair could make it's way down. Now would it find its way another 12" into the belt and pulleys? I'd say very doubtful, but sometimes things that are possible can happen. Sucked in part...if gas motors, they are not pulling that much vacuum and even if you have flame suppressors/arrestors which would act like a hair screen. Even so the intake is mid motor...not pulling that much vacuum. Now a big diesel...maybe, they pull in lots of air. But even if...the intake is on the other side of box and covered with filter so no hair going in. And if it were...it going towards intake on other side. Again...gravity could have hair making its way to pulley and belting...but I'd expect the biggest issue is it getting snagged somewhere up top.

As to what looks best with outriggers...My way of deciding was taking a photo of your boat and draw the outriggers to scale where you want them.
Easy way to scale the size...take a know distance in the picture and use that. On my boat it is 9' from transom to the start of my express cabin, in the picture that may have been 1-1/2". So for 18' outriggers I doubled that to 3". Now just draw a 3" line from the outrigger bases you want. See how it looks to you and yours. Never mind what others think unless they are paying the bills.

Me, I was given 22" riggers on 6' bases, way too long in my opinion, I cut down to 19'. Later the outriggers were moved to the tower...added a bit more length, but with tower I thought it looked good.

Luckily today you can take an print a color picture on paper to mock up...or if good on computer, photoshop it. Back when I traced the picture to paper and worked with that and finalized on the photo.

Removing bulkhead...I have no experience with how the bridge is supported to answer. Funny how most conversions I thought would be from Sportfish to to FBC by adding a bulkhead. To each his own and thats what great about the boats.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I made a mold of my fiberglass EB supports as I needed to elongate mine. I made about 5 or 6 extra extensions which I will happily donate if anyone wants them. Making a mold of the entire engine support bracket would not be a big job if anyone wanted to build them.

Since I have a tower, I radius-ed the outboard corners of my boxes and extended the support bracket to the inboard side of the EB.

I built my boxes out of coosa and 1708. They are lighter than the old EBs but when you add the sound down they are still pretty heavy. They need to be adequately supported on all sides.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I bought a pair of original Lee Sr. 4 foot bases and 22 foot poles from a guy who replaced them with newer outriggers. I always liked the look and the length seems to be the best, especially from the factory. If interested, they're for sale, PM me for photos and price.
Looking for my next boat!
TwoCoconuts

Post by TwoCoconuts »

Thanks for all the replies. Any suggestions on where to look for how to support the flybridge if the SF wall is taken down?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

My boat has the open cabin. Fortunately my ceiling in the cabin is still out so you can see the added structure I added when widening my flybridge. For a florida/Bahamas boat, I can't imagine anything but an open cabin.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rick-

An Open Cabin with an AC unit running on an inverter…talk about pushing the boundaries! Lol.

I admire the gumption of making the dream a reality among doubters.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

No doubt Carl, its a big hill to climb.

For the most part, I'll only be running the AC at night if I'm sleeping on the boat, however, I'm installing an vinyl enclosure should I need to trap in the cool air.

My Air conditioner is a Mabru 12000btu unit that runs off 12 VDC so I'm not loosing any power due to converting through an inverter. Also having 1080 amphours of battery capacity doesn't hurt either.

Hopefully, I'll have her out of the boatyard in another 3 weeks and I'll need a couple of weeks to get her put back together then I'll get an opportunity to thoroughly test all the systems.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

A vinyl enclosure will do it. Maybe not perfect, but much better than being completely open. I forgot about the 12volt AC. Getting rid of the humidity is huge when I try to sleep, not is one thing, but sticky n sweaty is another.
I can't wait to hear how it all works for you.