Fishing reels

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Fishing reels

Post by Amberjack »

I’m going to give salmon trolling a try this summer and need a reel for one of my old rods. Can anyone recommend a decent, simple trolling reel? There is a big jump from $80 dollar reels which I think may be junk up to $250-300 reels which are more than I prefer to spend for a “proof of concept” test run. This is not heavy weight fishing, probably in the 12 lb range. 20 lbs would be exceptional.

I’m right handed. Should I buy a left or right hand retrieve reel?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
neil

Re: Fishing reels

Post by neil »

We use a penn senator 113 h2sp hi speed,we use the wire line spool if that matters but I can assure you that they are bulletproof,they are very reasonabley priced
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Thanks Neil, just what I was looking for. Ordering one today.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have some 113 HLWs that have been good deals for Stripers.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
neil

Post by neil »

Rawleigh,that is all we use for strippers up here,those reels have given us many many years of dependable use without flaw.we spool them with wire
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm still using mono on mine. One of them has the old AFCO set drag kit on it. I like that and wish they still made it. Good, simple, dependable reels.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

When I dial up to order a reel they offer left handed and right handed reels. I’m right handed, do I need a right hand retrieve reel? I hold the rod in my left hand and reel with my right hand and the reel in the up position.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Most conventional reels you hold the rod in left hand and reel with your right. Spinning reels are the opposite but most spinners allow you to switch the side the handle is installed on.

Choose which option suits you best for left or right hand.

I had no idea that Penn made an opposite turning option in the senators. I have a 1/2 dozen of them, not the most drag in the world but damn near bulletproof, I have a couple setup for cod fishing, the balance setup to run wire line on them for stripers. If you choose to run wire line, you'll need the chrome spool which will cost you a few more $, mono or braid do not need it.