Covering the sides of the v-berth

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Covering the sides of the v-berth

Post by pschauss »

Following a suggestion from the guy who cleaned the mold out of my v-berth area two years ago, I asked our upholstery guy to make some cushions for the sides. The pictures below show his solution. They are removable, made with a thin layer of marine foam, covered with vinyl, and attached to the sides of the hull with Velcro strips a couple of inches from the top and bottom. He added buttons to keep the foam from sagging and to give them the flexibility conform to the shape of the hull.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/album/1347170
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Yannis

Re: Covering the sides of the v-berth

Post by Yannis »

Peter,

Very nice execution, easy to make, easy to clean as you can pull them out to wash/rinse, and possibly way cheaper than my custom made fiberglass sheets that I made for my boat.

If I was to do it again I might go that route too, only I fear that this material is non breathing and would be too hot to lie up against, in the summer.
Now that I think of it, I might have made identical thin cushions, covered in a 100% cotton fabric, as opposed to vinyl, which you could throw in the laundry at the end of the season.

Anyway, this is a very simple and practical solution as you avoid to fight the double curvature of the cabin sides, with a forgiving material like this.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Nice idea. I like it. I bet umbrella would work also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

The first two boat canvas guys I talked to rejected the idea of using cushions. The guy who has been doing our home furniture ended up doing the work. Cushions fit so well that they only needed four 1”x4” industrial grade Velcro strips each to hold them in place.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Surprised the canvas guys passed on it. Probably too much work for them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Tony good luck getting a canvas guy in NJ they have to much work maybe I will learn to sew next!! I faired and painted the hull sides in the v berth on my boat. I did look into some other ideas just figured this would be easy to maintain.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

I have been trying to get a bridge cover made for two years.

If I knew I could pay for the stuff with some side jobs, I would buy one of those sail rite sewing machines.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Over here, if you want anything canvas related made for your boat, but also delivered in time, you have to think of it in September-October.
If you start dreaming of it after Xmas, you will most probably remain with your own dream...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yannis wrote: Jun 1st, '23, 23:03 Over here, if you want anything canvas related made for your boat, but also delivered in time, you have to think of it in September-October.
If you start dreaming of it after Xmas, you will most probably remain with your own dream...
So that problem is worldwide then! And I thought it was just me! :-D
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rawleigh,

Once the charter sailboats end the season (October-ish) and prepare for the next one, their needs in tents, tarpaulins, cushions and all other canvas related needs, flood the market.
The individual boater just squeezes-in for a place at the canvas producing facilities...
In a country the size of NY state, there are roughly 5,000 sailboat rentals with the needs I just described.
There are also another 150,000 private recreational boats of all types and sizes...
To this, you add all types of tents, awnings, cushions and lawn chair canvases for the home. Its a sunny country and there's a lot of them...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Two years, I think is enough advance notice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Two years with a torn bimini...
Mind you, there are three bottlenecks: the first is to get them to the boat to obtain the measurements.
The other is to make sure they produced it, but also that they will eventually come down to install it while you're still alive...
Carl

Post by Carl »

When I brought my canvas to have new windows put in the guy told me a few weeks at best. My buddy laughed, said yeah right he’s been waiting a year for his cover, if I get mine back in a few weeks he’d be pissed.

The gods must have been shinning on me as he called me two days later telling me I could pickup. My buddy was right, he was pissed….
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i never allow outsiders on the boat so when the v-berth project came up i rip every bit of that bullshit fur out and ground the walls to green glass then purchased a neutral color leatherette with 1/4 foam back in a ostrich pattern on all the walls of v -berth ,i used 3M foam adhesive then applied teak on bulkheads both fore and aft . i used a plain grain leather for the ceiling with thin teak dividing strips with led lighting and tv on hospital grade movable mount . cushions were upholstered in a blue check with contrasting five pillows. ( wife was a interior decorator)
Last edited by bob lico on Jun 6th, '23, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Bob I want to be you when I grow up ,call me tomorrow
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

How do you apply teak on top of an existing bulkhead without pressing?
By pressing, I mean the process of taking a new ply surface onto which you glue the new thin layer of teak veneer, and then pass it through a machine that presses it using mechanical force and possibly also heat.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yannis thats easy , sand with 80 grit to break surface then clean with alcohol and use PL waterproof glue ( very inexpensive ) press your teak 1/4" paneling on to the existing surface for a minute and your done . can varnish in gloss or semi gloss to your liking.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, how do you know! Thanks Bob.

I have part of a bulkhead in an ugly glossy cherry, every time I see it I want to demolish it.
All the boat was like this, but little by little, whenever I was adding something or changing, the new surface became teak...
Except for that half of a bulkhead in the v berth and the head.
Since these two cannot move, i didn't know how to proceed.
Thanks again.

PS. So it is pressed, only it is pressed against a 6mm ply which then goes on top of the bulkhead. Right?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

1/4 inch paneling will bend pretty easily. The bend in the hull is not that bad up in the v berth. Teak paneling should fit fine. The question is, did Bob cut one big piece or is it in sections.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

It's not for the hull, it's for the port side bulkhead only, of the v berth, and the head/galley bulkhead but only the galley side.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The bulkhead is flat, unless something is different on the 28. Pretty easy to do.

here are some veneers you could use. Teak is the last selection.

https://www.rockler.com/4-x-8-veneer-sh ... er-backing
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

After almost 10 years here, I realize that some members assume specific roles voluntarily.
Yours is, without any doubt, the "go to" person when it comes to scavenging info from the past, or specific difficult to find items from various suppliers.
Thanks!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i made cardboard template then cut teak paneling, a easy project seriously
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

we faired and sanded the V berth walls in the Carolina Reaper. They look great. yes it was a little work but the look great and less stuff to collect mildew.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the teak paneling on the anchor locker bulkhead and the v-berth bulkhead are both one piece , after carefully making templet and the PL waterproof glue will give you so adjustment time to get it perfect
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob lico wrote: Jun 16th, '23, 14:44 the teak paneling on the anchor locker bulkhead and the v-berth bulkhead are both one piece , after carefully making templet and the PL waterproof glue will give you so adjustment time to get it perfect. i did make a new access door to the anchor locker, i have cabinet makers router bit that make a fancy pattern in the cabinet door styles and then used 1/4" teak in the 1/4' recess made by the router bit. real easy the router bit makes the complete pattern like kitchen cabinet doors and used internal hinges so there is a clean look with no hinge.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473