Opportunity to move some stuff around on the dash

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JeremyD

Opportunity to move some stuff around on the dash

Post by JeremyD »

So redoing the dash and instruments - Currently have the keys on top of the dash - but after realizing my keys were corroded and were always "on" (only the start function worked) I am thinking of relocating them to the panel under the dash... Any downside to doing that? I can put push button switches into the holes that have already been drilled for the key holes - thoughts?

OLD Dash

In progress:

Current status:
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Tony Meola

Re: Opportunity to move some stuff around on the dash

Post by Tony Meola »

Jeremy

My original factory set up did not use ignition key's. Flipped the breakers in the cabin on then went up top, fliped the switch to on and hit the start button.

When we repowered we put switches in and have both the ignition switches and the start buttons on the bulkhead for the cabinet under the dash. No issues and helps keep them dry if caught out in rain or rough weather.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks for your response - That's what my thinking was too - especially with the keys that were on there corroded to the key holes (I couldn't remove the keys)

I've learned to ask- saves me from backtracking and redoing
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Mine only had push buttons on the original panel no keys. The new setup has keys and I put under the helm pod. Going under the dash is fine it’s pretty easy access. I put everything under the dash I possibly could even my VHF radios to keep it clean up too. My doors are split and can stay open when running.
Jason
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

JeremyD wrote: May 11th, '23, 07:39 I am thinking of relocating them to the panel under the dash... Any downside to doing that?
Depends on how long your legs are. When we repowered Amberjack we installed the keys and engine alarm switches under the dash and I noticed the first couple times out my knees were turning off the engine alarm switches. Now that I'm aware it doesn't seem to be an issue. You can also install a slender bar running between the two tabs to protect the the keys & switches.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine was set up from the factory with the key switches under the overhang of the dash and the rubber push buttons on top of the dash. Seems to work fine. The down stairs station has them up on the dash.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks Rawleigh - Was able to get the wheel on this weekend - starting to look like a boat again... [and I do plan on putting the keys under the overhang to protect them a little more from the Florida weather.]