Non skid for the decks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Snipe

Non skid for the decks

Post by Snipe »

I am looking to non skid the decks and there are so many options just wanted to see what has been used and how it performed? Was it east to apply? I used the awlgrip additive and it’s pretty nice. But I see this rubber stuff I think it’s called kiwi grip? I am sure there are lots of others as well.
Jason
Carl

Re: Non skid for the decks

Post by Carl »

Jason-
I used Kiwigrip on my cockpit deck. It is not a rubber nor are there additives, it is a special paint that is applied with a roller. Depending on the speed and roller used the end texture can be altered from something I found way too aggressive to nothing at all. The paint almost has a sticky-ness to it forming peaks as it is rolled, once peaks are formed, that is how it dries. I found the supplied roller gave a texture with super grip, but something I didn't want to walk on with bare feet nor would I want to kneel 0r lay on it. A 4" foam roller gave the look of the original stock deck but good traction and was easy on the feet.

The application was easy as rolling on paint, it only took a couple of strokes to dial in the end result I wanted.

Kiwigrip held up good to the weather, cleaning and scrubbing. What did it in was my sliding motor boxs on it and the feet of the boarding ladder showed wear at those spots. It is not awlgrip or imron but better than Topside paint.

Overall I was happy with it choosing to use it again after I put motors in. Lockwood stocks it and I think Lowes can get it too.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I recommend Soft Sand - https://www.softsandrubber.com/. Easy to apply, but even better, it's easy to clean. It's a long story, but I have both soft sand and Awlgrip griptex on my boat. The Awlgrip is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. It looks horrible compared to the soft sand areas. If I had an inside location to work on the boat I would grind all the Awlgrip off and replace it with the Soft Sand in a heartbeat.

Application is the same - prep for years, roll on a thin coat of paint, sprinkle the grippy stuff, next day vacuum off the excess, 2 top coats.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

GEL COAT AND A LOOP ROLLER WE DID THAT ON MY COMMERCIAL BOAT USING WHAT WE CALL DECK GEL ITS THICKER THAN NORMAL GEL GREAT FOOT FEEL AND IS HOLDING UP GREAT
reel easy
Standing Member

Post by reel easy »

I have tinted gelcoat to desired color and then thickened with cabosil. Taped off deck, spread gelcoat and then before it sets pulled with textured roller towards me. Gelcoat will stand up and stay. Practice on scrap material to get the process. Once gelcoat drys, knock tips off with DA to make more comfortable on bare feet. When you tint gelcoat, remember the recipe and keep some for touchup.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason- There you have it, a Bertram31.com consensus. Lots of choices with each being the best backed by knowledgeable people.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Cam,

Why is Awlgrip impossible to clean?

Is it because the material itself absorbs dirt and needs a brush, or that the texture prohibits water from flowing around and rinsing it?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

For rolling I have found the industrial imron with griptex or alexseal equivalent (identical) to be easy to apply and easy to clean.
Best part is should you want to recoat a few years down the road just clean and apply more.
The TECHNIQUE non skid is rolled dictates how easy it is to clean and how it wears.
You can’t just lump a shit load of particles in the paint and toss it in a roller tray, takes some trial and error to get just right including the proper sized nap and width roller for the job
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

When I replaced the deck back in 96 the guy I got the deck did what Tom did. It held up really well. Including sliding coolers, and what ever else. The only place it failed was from the boarding steps where they rested on the deck, and when someone dropped a sinker.

When we repowered I was going to do it again myself, but then I met a glass guy who offered to spray it with grip shot thru the gun for $800. I looked at the cost of me buying the gel, then the grief I would get from my wife telling me what I was doing wrong, I figured here have fun. I gave it to him and two weeks later he said come and get it.

He used Alex Seal and I have to say, it still looks like the day I picked it up from him about 10 years age.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Here's a picture from the other day:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/A4 ... J7dE1XOfBj

I'm standing on the soft sand application that I completed myself. The darker areas are the awlgrip/griptex non-skid that a reputable shop completed. It just looks like crap compared to the soft sand area. It scuffs very easily and I'm on my knees scrubbing in an attempt to clean it. I hate it...worst thing I did to the boat.

This thread has me looking at it again...maybe it would look better with another coat of paint? Can I roll on another coat of Awlgrip without sanding/grinding it back down to the deck? It's as clean as I can get it...but I might have scrubbed through the Awlgrip?

thanks
1963 Bertram 25
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey, Cam,

Do you know the "ignore it" theory?
Takes some time to absorb, but in the end you look at it and it doesn't bother you anymore.
I have a few of those "ignore me" issues on my boat and they are now fine!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I blame Snipe for bringing up the subject!
1963 Bertram 25
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Sorry Cam Lol!! I bought soft sand on Amazon the other day going to give a shot in a couple weeks hopefully. I would check wit awlgrip not sure about recounting non skid. I know some paints have an etching wash that can be used to avoid sanding. Did you use awlgrip with the sot sand as well?
Jason
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Snipe - Yes, I used Awlgrip (not Awlcraft 2000) for the deck work. Thin coats of paint to avoid chemical entrapment which will prevent curing! I need to dig out my Awlgrip application guide and see how I should re-coat the surface. A project for next fall. The toughest part is re-tapping!
1963 Bertram 25
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

2nd the Soft sand, mine came out amazing
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I used Alexseal and Soft Sand--turned out amazing. Getting ready to paint and apply non-skid to the front deck and the walkway along the side of the cabin as well as the topsides of the gunnels.