Cabrera Custom Kill Box

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SEAHORSE

Cabrera Custom Kill Box

Post by SEAHORSE »

New member who is now the custodian of the old “Reel Cowboy “ 31 Bahia Mar. Boat has a Kill box glassed into the transom and I’m trying to find out if anyone has one of these and can it be converted to a live well or would design beat on the baits? I’ve tried contacting Cabrera’s in Miami but no response . Being in Florida live bait fishing is pretty common and being able to plumb this box would be a huge space saver for live bait fishing.
Tom
Tony Meola

Re: Cabrera Custom Kill Box

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome to the Board.

Did not know that John had the boat up for sale. Good luck with her.

Sorry I am not familiar with the Kill Box that is in her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Seahorse,

Welcome to the board. Good luck with the “Reel Cowboy”

IIRC I think John told me once that the transom kill box was pulled from a Bertram 42 that had been an insurance salvage. I may be misremembering but that’s the story I recall. I know it was a pretty good sized one as I remember, took up most of the transom. I think most of the other mods were Cabrera or custom built here in Freeport. He had the boat set up pretty well.

You might look at the links on Capt. Pat’s Boatbuilding Tips and Tricks page (one of the hidden gems of this website)

https://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/index.htm

There is a lot of good info in there. Specifically there is a link called “Livewell Splash Shields and Baffle” that has lots of good info in there and links to the custom live well Patrick used to sell years ago. Anyway some good info that might help you out on your transom kill box/live well idea.

Best of Luck.
Last edited by DanielM on Mar 1st, '23, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

BTW there haven’t been any of those custom parts sold since Capt. Pat passed so I'm pretty sure they’re not for sale anymore. But they’re good visuals for ideas as folks are looking for improvements.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tom,

You have a nice boat. I copied the spray rails on the Reel Cowboy on my boat. I'm interested in their effectiveness although, I will find out soon enough myself.

What part of Florida are you in? I'm down in N. Palm myself.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
SEAHORSE

Post by SEAHORSE »

I’m in Flagler Beach about 35 miles south of St Augustine. Think I’ll leave the kill box alone for now and use a deck mounted live well. My box is pretty big and I’m not sure I want all that water weight sitting right on the transom. Probably easier to just put an oval live well right on the deck. I got this brainstorm for converting it and saving deck space but the more I think about it the less excited I’m getting ,at least for now.