Motor, shaft alignment

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DCJ

Motor, shaft alignment

Post by DCJ »

Trying to gather all parts required to mock up engines to build motor mounts, (shafts, couplers, struts, etc.) Noticed the output shaft on my new ZF 220 trannies are angled down. My plan was to mount engines as low as possible, allowing more space for fabrication of exhaust, try to reduce shaft angle to 11-12 degrees, move motors more aft for balance and maintenance. Does anyone know if that’s possible or do I need straight outputs on trans.? Motors are 300HP 6BTA’s.
Carl

Re: Motor, shaft alignment

Post by Carl »

The motor needs to sit flat, you want trans to have a down angle.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I have zf 220a they are angled 10 degrees.
Jason
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you have to have a 10 degree down angle in order to change shaft angle ( think about IT) and the installation will be in the allowed 4 degree maximum UP angle (nose up) but you should move the crank case ventilation to the front of the engine.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no down angle and it would be impossible to fit a 21" prop under the boat.remember before you start remove output flange from the 220 gears and the propeller coupling and sent to Carl on this board to square within .0005 that the starting point of changing shaft angle ,NO shims prop coupling direct bolted to output flange no shims and shaft log does not exist just a slot in the hull it is the last step tp epoxy the F/G shaft log with PSS seal into place it just slides up and down shaft until you epoxy it in place.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

Thanks Bob
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

your welcome. most important never allow a yard marine mechanic to board the boat !!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473