31 Rudder Angle?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

31 Rudder Angle?

Post by Ironworker »

My question is what is the correct rudder angle for our 31 Bertrams? With some custom fitting of my jockey bar, I've managed to get approximately 40 degrees of angle. I have also increased my stock rudder surface by roughly 30% or so per Capt Pats info on the site.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Re: 31 Rudder Angle?

Post by bob lico »

well if you at 40 degrees your maxed out recommendation for the rudder angle which are minus .39 rad. to positive .39 rad.. i have my own rudder system on Phoenix based on Tides marine F/G rudder post which supports the rudder shaft for 8" vertical instead of the normal 3 layers of 1/4" flax drip joint .the bottom of the hull is flush around the rudder thru hull extremely rigid installation and i can make 90 degree turns at 34 knots if necessary between huge waves if i get caught in that scenario.the boat manufactures use that plus and minus .39 rad as a guide for acceptable rudder angle but you can exceed it if you support the rudder correctly.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks Bob. I'm maxed out due to the jockey bar hitting the exhaust tubes. It would be a big job relocating those tubes at this point. I've read a fair amount on this issue on the INET but its all generalized boat engineering stuff. 40 degrees is roughly 5 more degrees than I had originally with the 220 hp Volvo TAMD 60Bs.

I also changed out the old Hynautic system for a Seastar system which is a whole nother story!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i guess i take it for granted but others sitting on the bridge with me notice it immediately because we have one inconsiderate bastard putting out crab traps like a mine field !!!!! i am traveling at 28 knots or so chilling for that 18mile run to the inlet and you come to the "minefield" and the boat zig zags right thru all of them my buddy with a 32' regulator says i would have the line from at least 10 of them around my props by now.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rick some day i will photo my steering and show you, basically Mercedes assembly in 316 ss with roller bearing hind joints on tie rod and drag link very similar to race car zero slack!!!! hydraulic cylinder and head unit all 316 SS. from Hy- Drive made in AU.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473