Stuart show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Stuart show

Post by wgiarratana »

Hit the Stuart show today and the hit of the show among all the cc’s was a beautifully redone 42 although the the 55 Ocean redo with 4 300 hp Yamahas on a bracket was a close second. If I knew how to post a pic I would. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it.
Tony Meola

Re: Stuart show

Post by Tony Meola »

55 Ocean with outboards. I assume it still had the cabin and bridge. Heavy boat to push with outboards. I wonder how the performance is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Big cockpit, cabin forward, a row of motors aft...it kinda loses the openness of a sportfish. If openness is the right word for sportfish.

I guess its a time of reinventing what boats are. Early "sport fishing" boats were all sedan/cruiser types.Then someone decided to look from a higher vantage point and the "flybridge" came into the picture and I'd say dominated the market for a long while. Still some Express boats were around. I think in the 80's I started to see a slow trend of guys who had large battlewagons start playing around with fast CC's to get out, fish n get back quick. No more waiting on friends to show up for a weekender trip.
I also look at some guys with big boats that can be down waiting on parts for extended periods...not to mention getting the right people to service the motors of these big boats. Hand n outboard, if it dies, yank it an put another on...cheaper than a service call at times with less down time. Time is one thing that nobody can get back.
Who knows...beyond me. I like mine, it does 90% of what I want a boat to do.
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Carl wrote: Jan 16th, '23, 09:08 Big cockpit, cabin forward, a row of motors aft...it kinda loses the openness of a sportfish. If openness is the right word for sportfish.

I guess its a time of reinventing what boats are. Early "sport fishing" boats were all sedan/cruiser types.Then someone decided to look from a higher vantage point and the "flybridge" came into the picture and I'd say dominated the market for a long while. Still some Express boats were around. I think in the 80's I started to see a slow trend of guys who had large battlewagons start playing around with fast CC's to get out, fish n get back quick. No more waiting on friends to show up for a weekender trip.
I also look at some guys with big boats that can be down waiting on parts for extended periods...not to mention getting the right people to service the motors of these big boats. Hand n outboard, if it dies, yank it an put another on...cheaper than a service call at times with less down time. Time is one thing that nobody can get back.
Who knows...beyond me. I like mine, it does 90% of what I want a boat to do.
Of the 100% you'd want your boat to do, what percentage is just floating?
Todd
Carl

Post by Carl »

Geebert wrote: Jan 16th, '23, 21:39 Of the 100% you'd want your boat to do, what percentage is just floating?

LOL, great response!

I am going to say floating, seaworthy, dependable, and safe are all non-negotiable must haves.

...and yes powering out to a place off the beaten path to just float around does rank up there with fishing, cruising, weekend trips, dock n dine, beach days, howdy boat'n etc.
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

It was totally redone white topsides and a grey hull no outriggers but other than the outboards looked like a normal 55
Carl

Post by Carl »

Assuming the old diesel power was dead...owner is not going on long hauls, or using for close inshore charters so kept light.

The cost of 4 new outboards compared to 2 new diesel motors with installation, while it is not for me, I can start to understand the reasoning behind it in some circumstances.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Geebert wrote: Jan 16th, '23, 21:39 Of the 100% you'd want your boat to do, what percentage is just floating?
Having been in the business for 29 years I'd say 85% are just floating.

See: Floating condos.............