Wireless engine cutoff

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Wireless engine cutoff

Post by pschauss »

Has anyone here installed one of these systems I read the installation instructions for the unit from Fell Marine and they say that it is supposed to interface to your engine cutoff switch. With my gasoline engines it looks like I would need some sort of relay in series with my upper and lower ignition switches. What do people use for this purpose?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Wireless engine cutoff

Post by Bruce »

I've been using a similar system on cars where wirelessly if you get a certain distance from your car and its running, it shuts off. The only way to re-energized it is with the fob. Also acts as a theft deterrent.

The marine version I never used and always relied on the clip in the shut off switch tied to your wrist as with outboards and wave runners. I installed them from time to time on larger boats if a MOB situation were of concern to the boat owner, you yanked your arm and shut down engines.

While the wrist function looks good, I know from diving experience, wrist computers and digital read outs with batteries are high maintenance with water leakage very easily.