Another 31 has perished

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Another 31 has perished

Post by Dug »

A week or so there was a big fire in Mystic. One of the main buildings at Seaport Marine burned completely to the ground. Among other things in the building was a 31 that had been undergoing a slow restoration by the owners of the yard. It had been a Fishers Island boat, and they bought it with the idea of creating something pretty special. They had even come over to the rendezvous on the south side of Shelter Island to see what others had done and get inspiration. My hope is that Mystic will allow them to build and improve on the site now that the building is gone. They’ve tried in the past and it has not been allowed to go forward. Be that as it may, there is one less Bertram 31 in the world.
Ironworker

Re: Another 31 has perished

Post by Ironworker »

Sad to hear. My guess is a developer will buy the yard and build condos.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

sad! I saw the fire on the news and it was devastating
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Dug

Post by Dug »

Rick, I don’t think they will sell. They just sold Noank Shipyard last month to focus on this yard and Bridgeport Boatworks which they also own. Should be interesting to see where they take it. But you may be right.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The following is from an article I found on the fire from the CT Examiner.

New ideas maybe included opening a barbeque joint...........

"The waterfront property was the site of “Smiler’s Wharf,” a redevelopment project proposed in 2019 for the 11.5-acre site that included a 6-story apartment building, a 40-room boutique hotel, a 200-seat waterside restaurant, commercial space, a public boardwalk, a marine services building and enlargement of the boat basin with slips for transient boaters. The owners withdrew their application in the face of strong local opposition from residents – some alleging the owners were neglecting the buildings so that they could be torn down – but the plans also garnered support from the business community. At the time, the owners said they planned to return with new ideas for the property.

The withdrawn plan also proposed moving all of the marine and mechanical work and boat storage at Seaport Marine to Noank Shipyard and tearing down the warehouses. "
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Dug:

Do you know what the name of the 31 was that was destroyed?

Mark
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Amberjack is the last boat just visible to the left during the Seattle Yacht Club fire 21 years ago.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 07:47 The following is from an article I found on the fire from the CT Examiner.

New ideas maybe included opening a barbeque joint...........

"The waterfront property was the site of “Smiler’s Wharf,” a redevelopment project proposed in 2019 for the 11.5-acre site that included a 6-story apartment building, a 40-room boutique hotel, a 200-seat waterside restaurant, commercial space, a public boardwalk, a marine services building and enlargement of the boat basin with slips for transient boaters. The owners withdrew their application in the face of strong local opposition from residents – some alleging the owners were neglecting the buildings so that they could be torn down – but the plans also garnered support from the business community. At the time, the owners said they planned to return with new ideas for the property.

The withdrawn plan also proposed moving all of the marine and mechanical work and boat storage at Seaport Marine to Noank Shipyard and tearing down the warehouses. "
Seems like the fire was timely.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark, I do not, but could find out if you want me too.

Dug