The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This November as it is declared and shown, my boat becomes 50.
I was 10-11 yo when it was layed up in November 72.
I could never have imagined anything like this when I was reviewing my dad's boating mags of the era...

Let us all be healthy and sane...

Yannis Tsakiris
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Re: 50

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

It is amazing. Ours was built in 75. Amazing how well they hold up and can get redone and who knows go another 50 years. The updates done to them are only left to the imagination. Imagine it and you can probably do it.

The only thing that might kill them, is when we can no longer and fuel and need to retrofit them with too many batteries to make it worth while. Can you imagine the new business will not be sea tow, but a "We bring the charge to you" to you type business for those that want to run 100 miles offshore to catch the last remaining Tuna. LOL.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis, yours is a youngster. Mine is a 62 making this her 60th year.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Yes, Carl, I know....

Imagine, this is a group of boaters where a 50 yo boat is safely called a ...youngster!
kross1

Post by kross1 »

If Yannis is a youngster I must be the baby. Going to be 40. 1983 B28.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
neil

Post by neil »

I found my hull number on my 25the other day she is a 62 ,I have always thought she was a 64 hull number is b25 62 8 it is a moppie
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Mine will be 50 next year. I have owned it for more than half my life, I’m 67. 4th set of motors with almost 6,000hrs on 5.9 BTA’s. EarleyBird 🤪
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Lots of our boats are in many ways better than when they were new. I know mine will be.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

When you think of what rolls off the production line today, it really is amazing. Boats barely last 20 years. Mine is now 53.

I've just taken all the old antifoul off back to the gelcoat (and in many areas, resin), 3 coats of epoxy, so I'd say she's good for another 10 at least!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Are these boats still around as they are lasting that long because of great build quality or maybe because they have lines that still entice, and are extremely functional for many uses. It's a great offshore boat, inshore, great for Howding, beach days, diving, and hanging out in general....provided it's nice weather and everyone is in the cockpit. Small cabin. If the second part, wouldn't that have owners taking care of their older boats, renovating, keeping the systems going, and or modernizing as needed?

Lots of people with boats 20, 30 even 40 years newer than mine that just look old, even though they are in relatively good shape. Hard er to sell and they fall into disrepair.
That said, 20 years ago I took the bottom down to gel coat, it was the time when everyone was having blistered bottom problems. Finding zero blisters I epoxied several bruises along with some gel coat crazing issues. After that I figured if the bottom was good for 40 years without a barrier coat why mess with it. So I went with bottom paint.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The 31 is still around I think because of a number or reasons.
First Bertram has been a staple in the boat build business, especially in decades past as a reliable built like a brick house boat.
But with boating attitudes and requirements changing with generations, that could be a dying reason.

It's a great platform for a repower with gas or diesel and easily accessible to do so.

It's a great compromise between fishing and cruising for a guys boat or a family boat.

Just big enough to be comfortable for 4 or 5 but can be trailered or taken out with a forklift if needed.

It has good lines.

Although a sometimes wet boat, that can be corrected with spray rails if one so desired.

I personally have been out on so many differently configured 31's that only one was a total dumpster resident the way it was rebuilt. It was a shame to see the amount of money dumped into that boat only to have a total disaster at the end.

About the only drawback to a 31 would be running in a nose down condition which is okay going slow but not at speed.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I thought it was just because people wanted to sport one of those cool “Best Boat ever Built” license plate frames…

A well-built, good looking boat, with a heck of a legacy. 50+ year old boats that clean up nice and hold value. Pretty wild.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hey, even original boats still turn heads. Outside of rebuilding the back end including the repower, I still get thumbs up when passing people. I have even had guys stop me.

It's amazing that still happens.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

I've worked on Sunseekers, San lorenzos, Pershings and various others....the fibreglass is as thick on any of these 80-130ft boats as it is on my 25. In fact on one of the Sunseekers, it was almost certainly thinner
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey Mike, non sei venuto quest' anno, no?
Almeno che your children will eventually force you to learn good Italian.
Which kind of boat are you on? How's the 25?
Any fun? apart from the superficial howdy type...

We had winds, winds, winds...
Still, we enjoyed a lot, I'll put up some pics when I can.

Wish you all 4 (or more, haha) a happy winter.

Yannis.
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Hey Yannis,

...negativo! We didn't do a lot last summer. Was operating a San Lorenzo 118 and the Pershing 108, though the SL sold about a month ago.

Yeah I had my eyes on the forecasts, looked like a very windy one your way.

The 25 is inside the warehouse in the yard, had all the antifoul removed. That's a job I'm never going to do myself, ever again.

Upon removing the antifoul, the compound (or whatever it was) that was covering the old outdrive holes, had completely detached from the fibreglass. I nearly had a heart attack as I just assumed the transom was going to be rotten. However upon pulling (...with my bare hands) the old fairing compound off, the fibreglass was solid. Moisture checked and a little damp but it sat out in the sun July, August and September so it's nicely dried out.

Now has 3 coats of epoxy on it, new transom assembly (engine out again).....launching in 1 month!

How's Phantom Duck?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nice!
So you launch right before Xmas, right?
What is the purpose to have a boat in the water in the winter?
Are there nearby excursions? Islands? Even with a fleece footer on!

Phantom Duck is doing fine, some minor improvements this winter like new awning on the deck and some minor woodwork.
Now that I bought this used 4m boat with the 20hp Yamaha outboard so as to be able to move around the bay and go swimming WITHOUT having to use the Bertram and losing my spot at the dock, I don't really need my other little inflatable dinghy that I carry along, so I have it deflated on the swim platform and the 2,5 hp Suzuki I leave at my dad’s garage , so I have more deck space for all other...important issues!
Talking of which, this summer was a very good one in that respect...

And yes, youre right, you never ever want to mess with antifouling removal again...
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Following up on Bruce's post, you just have to look to Bertram's revival of the 31 with their new 35'. I've looked at them and they are very nice boats but they are trying to cram too much into a 35' boat, IMO. I don't think by any measure they are setting the market on fire.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Yannis,
Yes I'll get her back in just before Xmas and stick a few photos on my thread too. Mainly just to get out fishing, there are plenty of 18°c days with flat seas so I'll get the kids out too.
Good call with the smaller boat, I forget what it's like finding a berth sometimes!

Went on the new 35 (unfortunately not out to sea), I'm trying to convince my boss to buy one as a chase boat but it'll be a difficult sell
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike,

A 35 foot chase boat to you is what this 4m boat is to me!
Do what you would do in a boat, WITHOUT using the big boat...
Fishing? I cant imagine anything spectacular, rather a pass time, right?

But you're also close to the Alps, or within reach anyway, so there you have it, anxiety over which way to choose, sea or snow? LOL !
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Hey Yannis sorry I don't check this forum as much as I should...

Fishing it'll be bream, flatfish a bit deeper maybe. I don't really know much about it around here but I fished loads as a kid so it's something I really want to get back on the water for!

Just moved house so there won't be much skiing for us this winter (€€€)

Winter plans for you?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike,

My son is studying at LSE for his master's degree, so not much €€ left for the rest of us for grand vacations...

However, I went to Syros for a whole week to service my dad's house central heating system that had been unattended for for a long time due to covid, etc, it was beautiful, some audacious people still swim...the autumn light is magnificent, we did things (walking, visiting places) that you can simply not do in the summer due to the heat.

Where did you move to? Are you near Piombino? I thought you were near the sea but can't remember where exactly...
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Yannis wrote: Dec 3rd, '22, 07:19 Where did you move to? Are you near Piombino? I thought you were near the sea but can't remember where exactly...
I'm in Genoa (again apologies I don't check this board as much as I should!)

Hope you're having a decent winter, it was like summer here until end of November then winter came in 1 week
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike,

I'm planning a next weekend trip to Syros with my gf, she wants to come so she can swim!
Normal daytime temps are 15-20, in the night it drops to high single digits.
I only wear my winter jacket (don't think of anything outrageously heavy) only on my bike! no gloves yet.