Dreaming about The Capt

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Dreaming about The Capt

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I just woke up it’s 4:39am, taking the kids fishing this morning on a party boat, since the boat isn’t ready. I of course woke up before my alarm with a smile.

So I had a dream my engines wouldn’t start, they weren’t new or Cummins but we’re Yanmars. I posted on the board about it and when I went out in yard Captain Pat was in my garage smoking a cigarette and had both engines in there he had them both apart and we chatted for a while. He then started them both up and they looked like brand new engines out of a crate.

Great start to my morning, thanks Pat.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
scenarioL113

Re: Dreaming about The Capt

Post by scenarioL113 »

That dream might stem from last year when you were taking a serious look at "Buddy Boy"...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Dreams have meaning. I wonder if the Capt. Is trying to tell you something.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony, I’m hoping it confirms my thoughts that Buddy Boy was poorly cared for mechanically. I certainly wonder after more then a year and a lot of Money if that would have been the better option.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Pete, you made the RIGHT decision and DO NOT LOOK BACK! Now, you know EXACTLY what you got with your project and ZERO "unknowns"...

Buddy boy might have been fine but you were taking too much of a chance, especially since you are NOT a Yanmar mechanic or a professional boat builder...please take that as a constructive and sincere comment
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Good morning.
I agree with Frank zero unknowns is huge..
By the way any new progress pictures of you boat.
The last ones I saw looked great.

Kenny
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Don't second guess yourself, you saw the amount of work Buddy Boy needed. I think you also knew there would be lots of additional problems found as work progressed. If the boat was turn key I'd be singing a different tune.

Yes, this conversion is taking longer than expected...but many do especially when depending on others.

It will get done and you will be happy.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Anybody know where the old Buddy Boy is at?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It’s no longer listed, unsure if owner changed his mind or it was sold locally or shipped off. I still really wished I could have worked it out. Hopefully she’s in a good home.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

You made the right choice. I would not second guess myself if I were you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Oct 11th, '22, 14:35 It’s no longer listed, unsure if owner changed his mind or it was sold locally or shipped off. I still really wished I could have worked it out. Hopefully she’s in a good home.

Peter- You could have worked it out. You would be paying through the nose for a Custom project boat that was neglected. You would have paid dearly to rip out and redo much of the custom work. You would have paid for all the systems that needed replacing and there were many that you KNEW about, aside from the ones you did not. You would have paid to pull and overhaul the motors, and maybe trans. You would have paid to upgrade the old electronics.

You would have paid much more than I think many of us believe the boat is worth. On top of that, I believe you would have had issues with getting that boat done on your timeline, similar to the problems getting your boat done.

Then once all back together and running it would be Sea trials to work out the bugs. And hopefully, the overhauled motors were done by someone better than Micky's guy in PR.

Buddy Boy was neglected needing to go to someone with very deep pockets or the ability to work on it themselves. In either case, the owner seemed to price the boat as if it was still a pristine custom boat.

If Buddy Boy was turn-key, even with some age issues, I'd say that was the route to go...but that was not the case. Read the survey again. For you, this rebuild with diesel conversion is the best choice. I truly believe Buddy Boy would have cost more in both time to complete the project to your satisfaction and overall cost.

my .04
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I guess I’m still losing my mind.

Great dream, we put so much insulation on the engine hatches the Capt had to build me custom hydraulic lifts for the engine boxes. We fired up the loudest motors you’ve ever heard. We were up on the bridge rigging a switch to lower the boxes and the world went completely silent when they closed.

Off to see if we can plug some stripers before the wind comes in.