Wax for Polyurethane Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Wax for Polyurethane Paint

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Does anyone have a recommendation for wax or coating for boat freshly painted with Polyurethane? The Alexseal website recomended "wax formulated for polyurethane paint" but was not specific and they did not respond to my e-mail. I went thru several pages of topics but did not turn up anything specifically for poly paint. Thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Wax for Polyurethane Paint

Post by Bruce »

If I remember right when in the biz, my manufacturers of marine paint discouraged the use of waxes on LPU paints because wax attracts dirt and when you add moisture, you get black streaks.
Poly paint has a surface that's slicker and harder than wax.
Marshall Mahoney

I was just trying to follow Alexseal recommendations to use a wax -- they were just not specific on what type...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I found this on a data sheet from Alexseal

Products – Wax Application

• 3M Scotch Guard Liquid Wax (9061 / 9062)
• Aquatech 201 Premier Polish
• Liquid Glass® Polish / Finish
• Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax

https://www.alexseal.com/fileadmin/use ... -2021.pdf

After reading the data sheet the paint needs a lot of maintenance.
Marshall Mahoney

Thanks Bruce -- I have never seen this. Perfect
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If they recomend Liquid Glass, then you should try and find out if you can use ceramic coatings. Some of the new coatings last about a year and are actually easy to use.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I cannot advise on what's the best wax for polyurethane paint or any other paint.

On the stuff I have now, I'll grab whatever. Most often a polish and not wax, as I found it usually works longer and wax leaves those water beads that dry into water spots.

ANY-HOO looking at the manufacturers list Liquid Glass pops out.

I saw in Corvette and Hot Rod magazine 30 something years ago. A glowing write-up had me toss down alot of money for a can of the stuff. I figured I was being ripped off till I started to use...deeper shine, easy on and off. Directions also said additional applications provided a deeper shine as is builds up. I believe it did and used religiously.
My girlfriend, soon-to-be wife, surprised me by waxing the boat I had back then before it went in the water. Gave it two coats too and used most of a new can. I had regular marine wax for the boat, on the boat. Was the finish worth it...eh. It was an older boat but did look better than ever. What really stuck out is the stuff lasted ALL season...quick hose spray washed everything away. So yes worth it.

That was 30 years ago...might be new better product out.
BUT, always seems to be a but in my stuff, huh?

But my buddy was not liking the polish products he was using for his Corvette, his pride and joy. I told him about Liquid Glass and he dismissed it as it. I can't blame him...I am not one to clean and polish far from a fanatic about my cars since he has known me. Plus it was many moons ago.

Fast forward a few weeks and he's telling me about this stuff someone in his club told him about, applies ez, best finish, super deep and each application it gets better. He shows me the can...it's liquid glass.

Long story to say, I like that stuff. Too pricey for me now, for what I have....but still like it.
Marshall Mahoney

I sent Alexseal a question on Turtle wax and McGuire's hybrid ceramic coatings spray. Works really good on my truck (turtle wax easier to apply). If I don't hear back from them I will just use one of their current recommendations that Bruce found. I want to verify compatibility so I don't screw up my new paint job. I already had one complete paint failure (not wax related) and don't want to take any chances!
Thanks guys
Dug

Post by Dug »

I had Alchemy painted six years ago. We used Awlgrip. I have voice been told that you get 10 to 12 years out of all grip and I got five. Maybe for before I couldn't clean it anymore and it got all kinds of chalk and smudge particularly on the face of the flybridge and what was my windshield. This is the part of the boat that faces the sun when in the slip and as result takes the brunt of weather.
I have always been told not to wax and/or buff/compound paint and of course didn't want to damage what I had regardless of the condition. Multiple all grip representatives were of no help whatsoever.
I met a fellow who works out of Florida who does unbelievable work on extraordinary boats and he came and corrected my finish and ceramic coated Alchemy last fall. Used products from starke yacht care and I would not recommend doing it yourself. It was not easy on the wallet but a hell of a lot easier on the wallet than repainting. It came with a four year warranty and my boat looks unbelievable. One year later still brilliant. It with water and it literally bounces off. He is doing my jull this week. I can't speak highly enough about ceramic coat products and if the preparation for it is done correctly it's extraordinary. If anybody wants his name and contact information it would be my pleasure to share it. He is obviously in the Northeast right now and just finished my father's 28 foot Grady White and a 72 foot Viking as well as that owners Valhalla.
The best part for me is the black streaks to not stay at all. You can wipe them off with your finger but a light scrub brush of the softest type and the appropriate soap in the boat sparkles like new.
I'm done ever trying to polish because the capability of the sky and it is products far surpasses my abilities.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Funny thing, a girl I went to High School with married the guy that invented Liquid Glass. He definitaly is one of those science Geeky guys.

I like the ceramic coatings more and more. I have been playing with them for two years and this year I tried Graphend. I am real happy with the way the boat looks, but it was a bear to use. I will probably pass on it next spring, but I can say, I don't see as much soot on the transom. I usually get some around the exhaust but I con't see it this year, but when I pull the boat I will know for sure.

The only thing I have found is, that the black streaks still show up, but it took longer this year, but we had less rain so hard to tell if it was the Graphene or lack of rain.

I will probably go back to the automotive ceramic next year, that has a so called one year life span.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315