Ressurection of the "Pepper"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Ressurection of the "Pepper"

Post by Ironworker »

How to tell the story is something I'm wrestling with? The Pepper has an interesting back story and how she became the Carolina Reaper (the hottest pepper known to mankind). You guys on this forum have been most helpful to me (special thanks to Jim Early, DeWayne Hauck, Jason and Bruce) and I want to pass my knowledge gained to others who might be interested in these boats and considering a rebuild project.

This is a purpose built boat. It will live in the tropics with her primary home in the Bahamas and SE Florida. She is being constructed and outfitted for offshore fishing. The Bahamas and Caribbean is a tough place for a boat to live. Its a hurricane zone. We plan on doing some overnights and long weekends on the boat in remote places in the Bahamas.

We are documenting the demo and rebuild with photos and also creating a technical document with what we did and why. I will provide quantities and resources for the next guy or gal that wants to take on a project. This document will take a couple of months to complete after the boat is finished as I plan on including manhours, cost and test data on the boat, etc. I would have posted more during the process but its been an exhausting five months. I have likely another two months to go before the Reaper heads south.

I posted this list several months ago but its actually a set of design goals for the most part. Here are a couple of photos of my progress to date.

What I want in a boat…

1. Economical to operate - 1.7 NMPG
2. Shallow draft 2.6 feet or less
3. Can be operated single handed
4. Clean trolling wake, no outboard exhaust below surface
5. Smooth ride in rough sea conditions
6. Large cockpit
7. Shade for crew and passengers
8. Live aboard for two or three days possibly more
9. Ability to sleep two couples with privacy
10. Air Conditioner
11. Freezer/Fridge
12. Lockable equipment storage for 2 Sword Rods, 6 trolling outfits and 4 Spinners
13. Lockable storage for 3 harpoons and 4 gaffs
14. Toilet (Don’t crap where I sleep)
15. Coffin box for large fish/Ice storage
16. Long range fuel capacity 330 gallons
17. Fresh water storage 40 gallons
18. Storage for tackle and equipment
19. Modern Electronics
20. Tower
21. Trolling at slow speeds 3 knots or less
22. Efficient cruise at 28 Kts
23. Top Speed of 38 kts.
24. No Generator
25. Seaworthy boat.
26. Plane at 14 kts. or less
27. Windlass
28. Stripper pole (you never know when you might need one.
29. A place for my Bongos

This is a start but here are some photos of recent progress.

I would appreciate feedback on how best to tell the story.

More to come!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Re: Ressurection of the "Pepper"

Post by Ironworker »

I'm not sure why the images are not posting. I'll have to work on it.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Finally got these dang photos figured out. I have to email them to myself and the email does the necessary conversion to upload to B31. These photos were taken today. We are in hurricane prep but managed to get some work done. To give you an idea on how the work is progressing you can look at the date I posted the fish box photo vs today. We've had the cabin built out for about a week and waiting for decent weather for final painting.

We are building new floors and engine boxes but using the old wings. You'll see in the photo we are lengthening and adding a radius to clear the tower leg. Hopefully the engine boxes will be completed next week if we don't get too much damage from Ian. The engines are ready to be installed in the boat and we are estimating about 1.5 weeks to get them installed.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

She is getting there. The bridge looks good. It fits the look of the boat perfectly. Nice job.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks Tony,

It has been a heckva lot of work and cost but she'll be a really nice boat for what I'm going to be doing with it. Over the last 45 years I've come to despise center consoles. They ride rough and there is no way to stay dry.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Progress update. we are working on the final section of the cockpit floor and engine boxes. Hopefully by the end of the week they'll be complete. We plan on setting engines this week, If I can get final paint in the engine boxes in the next day or two.

Also we are working on installing a spray rail. Here is the rough product, It will be glass and faired after being epoxied to the hull. This is about a 3 day job all in.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Tony Meola wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 20:54 Rick

She is getting there. The bridge looks good. It fits the look of the boat perfectly. Nice job.
Second that. That's a subtle modification i thought would be obvious, but it'll take a sharp eye to tell that's not factory.
Excellent work and great idea.

Glad to see you got the pictures figured out.
Todd
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Did you "widen" the flybridge? What year is the hull?

Looking awesome!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yes, we widened the flybridge by 16 1/2". Its a 1969 model. There is a earlier post with a couple of photos but I split the existing flybridge into 3 sections. I left the center section in place and expanded the outer pieces. Frankly this was one of the top 3 improvements that I did on the boat. It moves the outer edges over the rigging holes in the pilasters which is a game changer for rigging and wiring. No more trying to fish around corners and hung up fishtapes and wire.

It was just a matter of filling in the voids with 1/2" coosa and glassing. While there I removed all the wood and wood supports in the flybridge floor and installed a sheet of coosa along with a laminated coosa beam under the floor. Its far stronger than the old floor and made it easier to reglass.

It also gave me a watertight, secure location for 99% of all electrical wiring and electronics which will dramatically simplify the wiring for the boat and any trouble shooting in the future.

Widening the flybridge maybe add 50 lbs to the boat and took approximately 2.5 to 3 weeks including demo, glassing and fairing. We added an improved gutter and eliminated the step down in the old floor. In order to get more space for MFD displays I added the third tier to the front of the flybridge. It follows the same Bertram look.

We tried hard to make sure any improvements to the boat retained the Bertram style while eliminated the shortcomings of the old boat.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick,

Could you elaborate a bit on the cabin layout?
Its clear that you do not intend to spend time in there, however, I wonder what the fwd cabin may be used for.
The entrance “hole” is a bit too small to consider practical, the bed length too short, so if it is to be used mainly as storage, then why did you not unify the two cabins together?
Also, I could use some guidance in the layout of the salon area.
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yannis wrote: Oct 4th, '22, 19:17 Rick,

Could you elaborate a bit on the cabin layout?
Its clear that you do not intend to spend time in there, however, I wonder what the fwd cabin may be used for.
The entrance “hole” is a bit too small to consider practical, the bed length too short, so if it is to be used mainly as storage, then why did you not unify the two cabins together?
Also, I could use some guidance in the layout of the salon area.
Thanks.
Great questions. Lets talk V Berth first. Actually a 6' footer guy can sleep in the V berth but oriented beam to beam. The next person needs to be in the 5'8" range. While the Fwd BH to chain locker BH is 4' 6" there is plenty of room sleeping. Now there is not a lot of headroom. Its a sleeping compartment. The toilet/holding tank is located in the V berth. I don't intend on sleeping there so I feel like I have B. Lico's tentative approval.

Now lets move to the main cabin. Starting Port aft is a fridge/Freezer unit (Vitrifigo DRW180A) which is a 12 volt unit. Then the sofa which has space for a 6'5" guy to sleep. The sofa seat and back lifts and there is lockable rod storage (I stole the idea from Jason but modified it so the whole sofa back/seat lifts as a unit for lockable storage. I'll get a photo and post here.

The seating wraps around to the starboard but the center section is not in the photo. It removable for access to the V Berth. The "Make out" corner is larger seat in the fwd starboard corner. Then a sink with the Air Conditioner located underneath (Mabru 12000 BTU 12 VDC). Then on the STB aft side is a 48" stainless tool box (purchased from Costco) which will provide all the storage needed. There is space behind both the tool box and Fridge/Freezer where I'm going to put access panels in the Engine Bulkheads to remove lithium battery batteries. I'm pretty sure, I'll be able to get them out through the engine box but they weigh 80#s each. I might as well make it easy on myself.

Currently my plan is for 1,120 amp combined hours of House battery bank plus either AGM's or Lithium batteries for my starting batteries. There will be no generator in the boat. I have replaced the two brand new Cummins 130 amp alternators (They are for sale) with two Balmar XT 250 amp alternators with external Wakespeed 500 voltage regulators. The electrical system is a little complicated but simple from an user standpoint.

I plan on adding a couple of solar panels later ( also providing shade for the engine boxes) but for now I just trying to get the boat in the water. Once I get my wiring diagram completed, I'll post that.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Rick,

I see the piano hinge on top of the port backrest, I also see the convex fwd twist on the seating surface so that id doesn't slide open probably.
Are all 31s built with a double layered bilge like this? Shouldn't this present complexity in cleaning?
Thanks.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yannis wrote: Oct 5th, '22, 19:00 Thanks Rick,

I see the piano hinge on top of the port backrest, I also see the convex fwd twist on the seating surface so that id doesn't slide open probably.
Are all 31s built with a double layered bilge like this? Shouldn't this present complexity in cleaning?
Thanks.
Good eye! No way the forward part of the bench seat would clear the forward part of the sloped windshield. So we had to cut back the opening section. The forward part of the port sofa along with the Make out seat are removable but fixed with screws. They are roughly the only 8 screws in the cabin. They do not hamper the rod storage. I have room for two sword rods (7' rods with electric reels) and a half dozen or more conventional 6' rods.

The 31's have an open bilge. In the fuel tank compartment there is a layered bilge to keep the fuel tank out of the water. In the Fish Box (actually it will be lined with a custom made insulated fish bag) it also has a second floor to keep the fish bags out of bilge water. We have either 3" access holes every couple of feet or 3" slots in order to keep the bilge clean.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well as you guys know, finished pictures are a must.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick, I understand, but I doubt you'll be able to clean so well through a 3 inch hole every meter or so.

What I may have considered so as to stay over the bilge water would be a removable teak mesh, like the one they make the swim platforms. But then again, although Im preaching about it, I still have one 150 lt fresh water bladder right on the bilge water...
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Big day for the Reaper! We test fit the engines. We will rough align them, measure for the engine boxes and then pull them out this weekend while we finish the glass work.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I remember that day! It feels great to have them in the boat.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sweet!!

Its a great day!
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

What HP are those QSBs? I dont know much about those engine...are they electronic?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

They are all electronic. The are QSB 5.9 380 HP. I'm using a Glenndinning control system with them.

In the QSB engines you have 330, 380 and 425 hp all with just a change of the ECM. Same engine, same weight.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

...so...if you are overpropped @380 then you just hit ctrl-alt-delete=insert new parameter=425hp....problem solved...LMAO!!!

:-D :-D :-D
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

Kissing the engines. That picture is a keeper.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

On the Port engine, are you running the exhaust down the shaft alley or are you going up and over and going down the outside stringer?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Oct 11th, '22, 20:28 Rick

Kissing the engines. That picture is a keeper.
Yes and she is a keeper.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Oct 11th, '22, 20:30 Rick

On the Port engine, are you running the exhaust down the shaft alley or are you going up and over and going down the outside stringer?
The port exhaust will be run down the outside stringer. Its a bit of a contortionist act to get the exhaust over there while keeping the water out of the turbo but we have a plan. I'll post pics once its done.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bruce mentioned Spray Rails in the "50" thread. I thought you guys may be interested in the progress on mine. I've added roughly 1 3/8" to the width of the outer chine. It starts tapering just ahead of the windshield and tapers to 0 about 20" from the bow. I got the idea from "Reel Cowboy"!

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

We have made some progress on the engine boxes. I should have the final structuring glassing completed tommorrow and get them faired and sanded next week.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick,

You can do that, or you can better entertain yourself in a 28...
Ho ho ho...
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I like the 28's but they are not 31s.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You know, you keep throwing those rocks you might find yourself out there alone some time in need of help and someone in a 31 will go bye just ignoring you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ironworker wrote: Nov 11th, '22, 19:02 I like the 28's but they are not 31s.

Nothing else remains to be said
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys you crack me up, you never let any suggestion go unanswered !! LOL
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You know it is all in fun.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What are your display screens Rick?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Bruce wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 07:34 What are your display screens Rick?
Bruce,

I'm going all Furuno this time. I'm installing a TZT3 16F" monitor at the helm with room for a second 16" unit at a later date. I'm also install the side/forward scan units (DFF3D) and Ultra deep amp to go with my 3KW transducer. It will also sport the Furuno AP along with their SCX20 compass. Being able to fit two 16" screens along with other instrumentation could only be accomplished by widening the flybridge.

I never was happy with the Garmin Fishfinders but liked the MFD's.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Its been awhile since I've given an update on the Carolina Reaper. We are a couple of weeks from getting her into the paint shop. The last big fiberglass job is rewrapping the cockpit gunnels with glass. The bow and forward gunnels have already had an added layer of glass completed. Its amazing how bad a condition those gunnels were in. I had hoped to get it done today but the weather did not cooperate.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

A lot of work, but I have to say you are moving right along. She should look amazing with a coat of paint.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

These gunnels have clearly been a test surface for all previous owners' black and deckers, makitas, you name it...
It's the same in most of our boats.
To the point that I have been thinking to cover the gunnels around the deck (only) with teak.
It will cover all imperfections, it will give an added quality look and most important, it will not be as slippery, especially to us here who jump in and out frequently.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

It actually looks like there was teak on there judging by the number of holes.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking great, it won't be long now!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Craig Mac wrote: Dec 15th, '22, 13:01 It actually looks like there was teak on there judging by the number of holes.
You may very well be right. I was trying to figure out why all those small holes were there!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
titolugo

Post by titolugo »

Hello Rick,
Great project!
I wanted to go back to the Vbirth area and ask you if you relocated the fwd bulkhead forward or left it in place?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

titolugo wrote: Dec 27th, '22, 08:08 Hello Rick,
Great project!
I wanted to go back to the Vbirth area and ask you if you relocated the fwd bulkhead forward or left it in place?
Yes, I also relocated the chain locker bulkhead. I just didn't need that much room in there, The V berth was designed to accommodate two moderately sized sleepers perpendicular although I can lay down in there and I'm 6' 2". The primary sleeping area is the main cabin.

I also have the toilet in the v berth an holding tank is just aft of the chain locker.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
titolugo

Post by titolugo »

Thanks for the reply,
Do you recall how much did you moved fwd, also seems that you raised the bed level. What’s the distance from the ceiling?
My project 31 has no interiors and I’m debating the interior design. Inclining to place the bathroom on the starboard side fwd
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Like in the B30?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

titolugo wrote: Dec 27th, '22, 15:11 Thanks for the reply,
Do you recall how much did you moved fwd, also seems that you raised the bed level. What’s the distance from the ceiling?
My project 31 has no interiors and I’m debating the interior design. Inclining to place the bathroom on the starboard side fwd
I'm away from the boat this week. The cold ran me down to N. Palm Beach! I'll be back this weekend and I'll give you some exact measurements on the all of the bulkheads. If you're interested in floor and ceiling heights, I can give you those as well. Of course you are more than welcome to visit if you're in the Charleston, SC area.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I have pretty much finished to last of the fiberglass work as of today. We still have some fairing to finish before we take the boat to Florida for painting and some additional tower work.

I did unpack my new generator today and will start the install once I get my engines wired up. Here is a pic.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Your progress is inspirational. Im looking forward to your finished product, and shake down.
What are all the loads you're planning to operate from the battery bank? And how are you handling charging ? What voltage will the battery bank be ?
I cant find safety tests on battle born's website, do you know if they have passed UL 1973 ?
Todd
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Geebert wrote: Jan 14th, '23, 17:07 Your progress is inspirational. Im looking forward to your finished product, and shake down.
What are all the loads you're planning to operate from the battery bank? And how are you handling charging ? What voltage will the battery bank be ?
I cant find safety tests on battle born's website, do you know if they have passed UL 1973 ?
Good questions. This boat is being set up for extended fishing trips in the far Bahamas. I may go for several days in the southern Bahamas without access to amenities while swinging on the hook. In addition to the battery bank, I can carry 345 gallons of fuel. It will have the lithium House battery bank and two AGM starting batteries. I briefly considered sticking with lithium for starting but took the conservative approach.

Regarding loads, The Reaper has a 12 VDC Mabru 12000 btu air conditioner, a Vitrifigo 12 VDC Fridge/Freezer unit, It can accommodate four electric reels, 2 live well pumps, a windlass, a 3KW transducer and the typical slate of electronics, lighting, etc. So she's a power hungry boat.

My lithium house battery bank is a total of 1080 Amp hours at 12 VDC with room to expand to 1680 ahr. NOTE: I thought long and hard about changing over to a 24 VDC system. Unfortunately, I had already bought my engines which are 12 VDC. I weighed the pros/cons of running a dual voltage system on the boat but in the end, I decided to stick with 12 VDC everywhere.

I replaced the new Cummins 130 amp alternators (they are for sale BTW) with Balmar XT250 alternators with external voltage regulators. I'm using the Wakespeed 500 voltage regulators. They will be charging the House Bank. I am using DC/DC chargers to charge the starting batteries from the House bank. I have a future plan for adding two solar panels but that will be a future project. I've been working on this boat for a year and I'm ready to go fishing. The Carolina Reaper will be outfitted with Victron Multiplus 3000 charger/invertor.

I spent a lot of time considering various Lithium batteries. Ultimately, the B31 helped make the decision on what type of battery. We have relatively small boats and room is a big factor. Dragonfly which owns the Battleborn brand also recently purchased Wakespeed. Wakespeed has been extremely helpful with advice and support. The Battleborn G3 met all my criteria. In full disclosure, during this process I agreed to become an authorized Installer for Dragonfly.

Once I get a chance, I'll be posting a full wiring diagram for the boat and a bunch more photos.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

BTW, consider the following. You're anchored in the southern Bahamas near Rum Cay. Its 10 pm and there are nothing but stars horizon to horizon. Your belly is full of fresh wahoo and the very best box wine that $14 will buy. The cabin is cool and the only sound you hear is the lapping of the waves against the hull and an occasional fish splashing in the water. Silence is a beautiful thing.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue