Well, just like a hole in my head....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Well, just like a hole in my head....

Post by Rickysa »

...this was all I needed.

We've been focusing on safety (including structural), engines, electrical, hard-top, etc aft of the cabin bulkhead. Venturing down below, we came to find out the port-side cabin bulkhead has been hosting a party for all of the termites in the vicinity of the Morehead area (I'll try to post some pics) A search brought up this ten-year-old thread:

viewtopic.php?p=57023#p57023

but I thought I'd ask if anyone had anything else to add (as an aside, sobering to see Capt. Pat's always helpful posts) regarding materials, methods, etc. I've done fiberglass work in the past, but nothing structural. Cutting out and making copies should be straight forward, but reassembly is a bit daunting. Since in the same breath of finding out this little tid-bit needing attention, I was also told that one of the turbos has a hole in it. Needless to say any grunt work that I can do (now that I have part of my knees and shoulder back) to save some $$ would be nice, but nothing that might compromise the integrity of the boat.

Hope everybody is doing well!

Rick
PeterPalmieri

Re: Well, just like a hole in my head....

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That doesn’t sound fun at all.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Termites in a fiberglass boat always boggles y mind. Oh I understand that there is wood in our boats, but they have to get into the boat when they are swarming and then set up house. Not like when they get into your house from the ground.

Hopefully one of the guys who has replaced that bulkhead will give you some advice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tony,
Somewhere I have pics of a 54 Bertram with tuna tower completely tented for termites on the hard.

Got them down in Curaco, brought the boat up to me to do some work and then sell.
In doing the work found it was loaded with termites.

Ran into termites quit a bit down here since it doesn't get cold enough in winter to kill anything.

Ricky
The projects and how to sections of the web site pretty much explains how to use composites for building.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Rick,

If you want to tackle the project yourself, come down and visit me. I'll show you what is involved in working with Coosa. I've eliminated virtually all the wood and completely rebuilding my boat with Bluewater 26 coosa including the furniture. Once complete they may be only a half dozen screws as the boat structure, etc. is bonded by epoxy putty and glass tabbing. I'm working on the boat at Bennett's Point, SC which is just below Charleston.

I posted a couple of years ago about my GF's father wanted to give me a 42 Bertram. He had installed bamboo floors and walls in the boat years ago and the boat was infested with termites. I used a product that killed the remaining termites without resulting to tenting. Those termites did a lot of damage in the 5 years they were in the boat. I'm glad I passed on the B42.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

BTW, here is the termite product that I used.

https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

There is also the same product in a spray can that injects foam into tight spots.

One word of caution, is that people with compromised immune systems may have a reaction to termite treatments.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue