Tracing circuits

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Tracing circuits

Post by pschauss »

Any recommendations for a tool to trace some of the circuits in my electrical system?

Two problems that I am working on right now:

- When I replaced my aft bilge pump last summer, I found four wires feeding the old one. I figured out that one a direct feed (fused) from the battery and one was a ground. Based on the way the old pump had been wired, the third one appeared to be intended for running the pump manually. Since that feature does not work now, would like to find a tool which will allow me to trace that wire to see where it comes out.

- The navigation and instrument light switches on my upper helm station do not work. I have to use the switch at the lower helm to turn on the navigation lights. Once the navigation lights are on, I can turn on the instrument lights on the upper helm by turning on the navigation light switch and the instrument light switch. Again, I am hoping that a circuit tracer would be able to show me where the problem is.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Re: Tracing circuits

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Do you have a bilge pump switch in the cabin. It should be on automatic, off and then on manual.

I will not be able to look until next week, but I may have the wiring diagram that you need.

Sometimes instead of tracing you might be better just taking them out and rewiring them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

https://www.powerprobe.com/na/en/produc ... fFA61E15eF

I was a mechanic in a previous life.
One of the main tools i used for electrical is a power probe.
To this day i carry one in my truck and boat. I consider it part of my, "if i break down i need this" kit.

The tool i think you're asking about is their circuit tracer.
They're pretty expensive, but if you're familiar with the frustration and time required to chase old boat wiring, you'll feel it paid for itself the first time you use it.
The power probe is like a test light, except when you touch a circuit, it tells you if you're touching power, ground, or open.
Then, you can apply a ground or power to whatever you're poking with it.
Good luck
Todd
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Todd,

That looks like the tool that I need and the price is reasonable when I consider the time it will save me.

Tony,

My boat does have the original Rule manual/ automatic bilge pump switch. I found that it has power to it but it does not activate either pump.

The previous owner’s mechanic seems to have replaced it with a push-pull switch which allows manual operation of toward pump. For normal operation, both pumps are wired, with fuses, directly to one of the batteries.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

i second the power probe have one in the shop and one on both my boats
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I typically use a multi-meter and an extra long lead and do continuity tests, I am pretty good with that setup and would like to understand the additional value of the powerprobe.

does the power probe send a signal on the line and the receiver allow you to touch the outside of a jacketed wire to determine if that signal is on that line?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can use a power probe, a multimeter set on continuity scale or a tone generator.
I have all three and have been using them forever. I find they fit different issues.

A set of MAc tools retractable test leads 2x30' are another invaluable tool in electrical work.

I have found in old boats with old wiring its not uncommon to have wires cut or corroded somewhere not easily seen.

And out of the three above I use my Triplett meter by far the most.

My two models of power probe do not act as a tone generator. But you can pick one up for under 50 bucks.

You can use puncture probes for testing wires. It puts a pin probe thru the insulation rather than cut the insulation. Usually the insulation just closes over but one can use liquid electric tape to seal the puncture if they like.
I use these on the power probe or the multi meter.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Safety related stuff like bilge pumps and float switches should be periodically replaced. I check mine a couple of times a year and replace them every 5 years working or not.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue