Obstruction Buoy, an aid to navigation.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Obstruction Buoy, an aid to navigation.

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000

Re: Obstruction Buoy, an aid to navigation.

Post by ktm_2000 »

someone's in for a bad day with that sitting on the beach
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

We could use on in Jones Inlet...

That sucks, Do you know where it is supposed to be?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Carl

Post by Carl »

My guess would be the multiple rock reefs the army corp of engineers is building off the beach. They are several hundred feet off the beach and go from just submerged at high tide to exposed by several feet at low tide. In either case guaranteed to ruin a boaters day.

It’s a “living Breakwater” designed to reduce beach erosion and a reduce the effects should we have another Sandy. Kinda funny, 14 miles of beach and they build this structure at the last few hundred feet of the Island. Whatever, It’s where I am, so happy about that…and the fact I’m 75’ over Sea level.
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I bet I could hit that...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Reef making in progress.
This is just about high tide and flat. Mean high with some wave action, those rockpiles disappear.

Barge to the left is another set of reefs, rock piles being built.

A shot to the right with Obstruction buoys from reef to shore-ish. Just past is a deep water channel for ships...red buoy to the lighthouse, hang a left to follow the channel. Luckily, its were traffic rounds around the bend in the Island, I'm sure we'll be seeing a few boats who try to cut the channel close. And why not, its been an easy pass for years. I'll assume they will install some real Obstruction cans here as these white floaties held in place with 1/4" poly line don't seem all that secure.

Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Carl...gotta comment on that first photo: great pic! Anything special to get the fore-ground lit so nicely and the ambient light in the distance?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

That's an accident waiting to happen. Like the North Jetty here at Barnegat. Every year at least two boats try to run over it. Every once in a while one gets lucky and catches a wave just right.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rickysa wrote: Aug 17th, '22, 12:20 Carl...gotta comment on that first photo: great pic! Anything special to get the fore-ground lit so nicely and the ambient light in the distance?

anything special to get pic...ummm... I may have wiped the lens clean on the iphone with my shirt.

The phone does take nice pictures, but the night was fairly well lit, we played around a little to find the best shot. Tug n barge in back I wanted so waited till it was in right spot. That and the phone does have some kind of night setting that seems to take what feels like a few seconds to shoot. It was 9pm and darker than the photo shows. I'd have used the flash if I could figure out how to get that to work.
I'd liken the setting to a long exposure...been years since I played with cameras.
Last edited by Carl on Aug 18th, '22, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Aug 17th, '22, 21:34 Carl

That's an accident waiting to happen. Like the North Jetty here at Barnegat. Every year at least two boats try to run over it. Every once in a while one gets lucky and catches a wave just right.

I agree Tony- I am making a joke about it, but it is not funny. I hope they mark the area much better when done. it's just outside a shipping channel, lots of us tend to move away to give ships n tugs a wide berth and this used to be a safe deep cut.