Repowering Bertram 25 and cleaing up engine bay, need help to identify a part.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

chrisCA

Repowering Bertram 25 and cleaing up engine bay, need help to identify a part.

Post by chrisCA »

Hi

Anyone know what this is?

It is in my engine bay.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNneLg29hNpnm1RYA
Tony Meola

Re: Repowering Bertram 25 and cleaing up engine bay, need help to identify a part.

Post by Tony Meola »

Looks like a solinoid. Did you trace the wires back to see what they connect too?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
chrisCA

Re: Repowering Bertram 25 and cleaing up engine bay, need help to identify a part.

Post by chrisCA »

Ok i took it apart and there is some glass tubes inside.

See the link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J76hqKKWExj4aQsu8
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Light bulbs inside of a screen?
Maybe a heater of some kind?
I'd definitely get it out of my bilge whatever it is.
Thats certainly not ignition rated
Todd
chrisCA

Post by chrisCA »

Could it be some kind of gas fumes detector ?

Ill clean it up for sure
Rick Jester

Post by Rick Jester »

Gas fume detector
Rick Jester
1966 25 Express Cruiser
Hull 978
Carl

Post by Carl »

"Sensor for a fume detector" is where I'd place my bet.

I have a really bad joke developing about how the filaments produce a spark; in the presence of gasoline fumes the sensor blows up...but after careful consideration, I realize that is not funny and will not go there.

I always kept my fume detector on the front of my face, no motors were ever started without a good whiff from each engine compartment. I truly believe gasoline motors are safe but NEED to be well respected, all protocols for starting, refueling, and transport need to be followed. Gadgets to aid in that are great, but no substitute for the nose in my opinion.
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Carl wrote: Aug 9th, '22, 07:54 I truly believe gasoline motors are safe but NEED to be well respected, all protocols for starting, refueling, and transport need to be followed.
I agree with carl. As usual.
There are things that get labeled as dangerous because there is no buffer zone between safe and unsafe. You don't get to break some of the rules and still be ok. If the rules are broken, the consequences are extremely likely, and usually instantaneous.
Follow the rules and like a switch, the danger is off.
I love gas inboards, but maintain a constant fear of the overlooked. Which is why i hate gas inboards.
Todd
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

might be a required part for some in the boating population.....

I recently was told a story by a new boater how they put 10+ gallons of gas down a rod-holder onto their deck while on a trailer at a gas station. I'm not sure how their nose didn't catch that sooner amazes me.
Carl

Post by Carl »

ktm_2000 wrote: Aug 9th, '22, 10:18
I recently was told a story by a new boater how they put 10+ gallons of gas down a rod-holder onto their deck while on a trailer at a gas station. I'm not sure how their nose didn't catch that sooner amazes me.

Mr. Vigilent here...

Embarrassing, but yes I have done just that. I am glad it was not 10 gallons nor a gallon, but whatever it was was plenty. I am lucky my foot was directly under the pole holder finding out in seconds. Lots of rags, then lots of open hatches as I put my boat to the end of the dock on a very quiet day. It took a long while before the odor of gasoline was gone. A while longer as I hosed and washed and waited for it to dry and had someone else sniff test for me as my sniffer whiffer was kinda shot by then.

How did it happen...very simple, I was not paying attention. I could give excuses that someone distracted me, the pole holder is next to the fuel fill...but it all goes back to ME not paying attention which is a very important rule to disregard.

How did they not notice...

Did Not Pay Attention
Excuses- distracted, feeling cool about their boat, fuel fumes stay low, gas station smells like gas, breeze blowing the other way etc.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I can guarantee one thing, the list of dumb things that I have done puts me WAY ABOVE average and this conversation has me re-thinking putting a rod holder anywhere near the gas fill.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

When I refueled about a month ago, I caught myself trying to put the gas cap back onto one of the rod holders.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I think that is a mistake we have all made or started to make. Coming back from fishing one day, I was pretty beat. Pulled up to the gas dock, took off the cap, then proceeded to put the nozel in the rod holder. Lucky for me that before I pulled the trigger, the woman at the gas dock saw me and politely stopped me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

What’s even worse is to put diesel in your water tank, or worse yet, water in the diesel tank.
Unforgettable experiences, both of them!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

A lesson here is a stupid mistake can happen even to the best of us. Hopefully that lesson taught us and for the truly smart people let our mistakes teach them.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Years ago I pulled up to the gas dock with a brand new 2 stroke Merc. Said fill me up with regular, I went to hit the head and left my friend and the kid at the gas dock in charge. Ended up with a tank full of diesel. Cost me a new power head.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939