NW cruising images

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

NW cruising images

Post by Amberjack »

We crossed back into the US this morning after two weeks in British Columbia. It was a beautiful calm sunny morning in the middle of Boundary Pass while we conducted our business, including large commercial Ming Yang container vessel, USCG helicopter overflight while I was online with USCBP Roam, and a visit by a school of Minke whales.

Should have taken more images but here are a couple.

Boats keep getting bigger. We were next to a 78’ Horizion in Garden Bay. Two people on board. Why does anyone need that much space?
They lumber into the dock, then camp out for as long as allowed because they can’t find dock space anywhere else. Could have put two 40’ boats in that dock space.

Can any of you East Coasters guess what this is?

Back in the US at the SYC dock Friday Harbor. Enlarge the image enough and you can see that is not a cloud in the background, it’s Mt Baker.

We went through Dodd Narrows in 7.2 knots opposing current. Plenty of power in Amberjack but you don’t really want to apply it in a narrow twisting turbulent channel like that. Someday I’ll get a phone mount and leave it running, my hands were full this time.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Re: NW cruising images

Post by Yannis »

Beautiful!
What I envy most is that there are places on earth where you can take summer vacations on a boat and NOT melt from the scorching heat...

As for the tree stump, it may have been a lightning strike, then, somebody came along and carved it, man or animal ...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Nope
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Springboard cut outs to get the swedish whip above the fat part of the tree..

Did you mean Dodd's Narrows or False Narrows? Dodd's is a pretty straight shot but False with the two transits can be a pretty exciting bit of navigation when u on the step! Over 7 knots of current anywhere isnuts though, most I've seen is 14 knots in Surge narrows, I was in a fast speed boat though, but the 2' over fall made it interesting!
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Not fair Rocket! That question was for East Coast (and Med guys). Any kid growing up in BC would have had a dozen of these first growth logging stumped in their backyard. Now you should explain “Swedish misery whip”.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

And also explain springboards for them.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote: Aug 4th, '22, 20:48 And also explain springboards for them.

I believe those are the absurd planks lumberjacks wedged into the trees to be used as platforms for cutting tree down. The tree your standing sorta on...more like beside.

I hate heights, my knees get weak with the thought of even standing on them STRAPPED to a tree, never mind standing willy nilly while swinging an ax from one.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Are you sure that's a Horizon 78? Port lights look like the 74. :-D

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boat ... -vision-74
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Cam you are correct, it is a 74. It hasn't changed my feelings about it.

Carl you should do a web search about NW logging if you really want your knees to wobble. Those guys took incredible risks. I lived among loggers in the early 70's when logging was booming in the Washington Cascade mountains. Loggers were mostly drifters who drifted to the backwoods for high risk, high pay jobs. They liked to drink, they liked to fight and they had a short life expectancy. If I walked into the Greenwater Tavern at night to buy a case of beer I avoided eye contact and was very careful not to bump into anyone.

Yannis I sent you a PM by email. Don't know if you saw it.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Doug- I say I can only imagine, but I really cannot.

Two guys at the club have shown me pictures of themselves….one doing a free climb on a 1000’ antenna he was assembling, the other built n maintained flagpoles. The one he showed me last was a pole On top of the Brooklyn Bridge. He had some small rope to climb, holding rope with one hand with phone camera in the other kinda standing off the pole.
Nuts…my feet are sweating thing about it.

I’m chicken when it comes to that stuff…my prayers came true a couple weeks ago when we went to do the Skywalk at the a Grand Canyon. We get there and a storm comes in, apparently if lightening is in the area they close the walk. We arrive and storm came in and it was closed. I,d like to think I’d have gone…but can’t say for sure. I know my legs would not let me get to the edge to look over the rim. Some people just sat on the edge….

Embarrassing, but I thought brief about crawling there to the rim, but all muddy in the rain. Lucky me!

Yeah…cut a edge n jam a board in then stand on it…not happening. Kudos to those that can do that.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

The guy with a sailboat at the end of my pier spent about eight hours installing a set of wind instruments on his masthead last summer. When he put his boat in in the spring, he discovered that the unit wasn't working so he had to return it and install a new one.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/51496858
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Springboards were used to get up above the flared trunk of a cedar tree, they would cut a series of notches in the trunk then insert a board, stand on it and cut another one. Up and up (usually 2 or 3) until you were facing the round "barrel of the tree and you were 10' or more off the ground, Then you would take a cross cut steel hand saw (known as a Swede Saw) and cut back and forth. On big trees it would be a two handed job where you would get into a rhythm and the saw would sing. They were called "Misery Whips" because they whipped back and forth and running them was pure misery!
Carl

Post by Carl »

cool info, thanks rocket.
Carl

Post by Carl »

pschauss wrote: Aug 9th, '22, 08:16 The guy with a sailboat at the end of my pier spent about eight hours installing a set of wind instruments on his masthead last summer. When he put his boat in in the spring, he discovered that the unit wasn't working so he had to return it and install a new one.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/51496858

Anything worth doing once is worth doing at least three times...

you would not catch me up there.