Mystery fish!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Mystery fish!

Post by CamB25 »

Any idea what this is? Hooked at the same time as the Mahi. Some sort of Gar??

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/nR ... 45ZLFVKaB7
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tommy

Re: Mystery fish!

Post by Tommy »

Looks like a spearfish
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

HOW TO IDENTIFY A LONGBILL SPEARFISH
It can be distinguished from other billfishes by its slender, lightweight body, short bill, and its dorsal fin which is highest anteriorly (higher than in marlins and lower than in the sailfish). The ventral fins are located well in front of the anal fin and in all other billfish they are located close to the anal fin. The bill of the longbill spearfish is about twice as long as its lower jaw, but still quite short by billfish standards, whereas the shortbill spearfish has a bill that is barely longer than its lower jaw. The pectoral fins of the shortbill spearfish barely reach to the curve of the lateral line; in the longbill spearfish, they extend beyond the curve. The longbill spearfish has more segments (45 to 53) in the first dorsal fin than any other Atlantic billfish, although it may appear similar to the white marlin. The dorsal fin is bright blue and has no spots. The vertical bars on the body are never as prominent as in other billfish and may show only slightly or not at all.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

With the sail laying flat to the body (like in your picture), it has the shape of a garfish.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Funny, I thought sailfish, but it had no sail...didn't quite think about it having one laying down.
Quick call on that Tommy!

Nice to see your out using the boat Cam! Even better than using is catching fish...especially the Mahi..nice fish!
Beautiful looking fights nice and my favorite fish on a plate....when fresh.

That one looks kinda fresh. LOL

The freshest I had was seeing one come over the side, disappear then come out on a plate 10 minutes later.
Fillet chunked- mayo, salt, pepper n cayenne, minute or 2 in the little waver.
Microwave may not be the best way to cook, but every fish I have had compares to that one.

Nice...very nice!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Spearfish sounds reasonable. I had to tie him off to the aft cleat while my friend and I tried to board the Mahi. We didn't get a real good look at him as we de-hooked him in the water. Reading internet tales, it seems reasonable.

We had caught a couple little tunnies earlier that I threw into the live well. I flat lined one entire fish (dead) on a big jig head just for fun and that Mahi nailed it. Lots of first Bertram fish Saturday including a shark, sea bass, and a grunt or two.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Cam,

You are doing quite well, I was going to initially say a small white marlin based upon the one shot showing the head but I didn't see any of the dorsal fins so it confused me.

Did you find and floating debris and were the mahi under it?

in the NE we always stopped and circled anything floating, or a weedline usually something would come from out underneath.
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Thanks for posting pictures of your fish -- refreshing! I was getting tired of reading about members broken shit.