Post by Ironworker »

Step One.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
John F.

Re: Widening my Flybridge

Post by John F. »

Please keep the pics coming. Cool project.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Wilco, Its one of too many projects on this boat. We just got the new engine beds and stringers glassed in on Saturday and started on the top after lunch.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have the popcorn popping and a cold beer! keep the pictures coming! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Pull a mold when you're done.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm a week or so away from any more progress on the flybridge. I just got my engines in the shop today!!!

I'll post some more pics of the ceiling of the cabin and structural components of the FB soon. Right now I'm celebrating my new Cummins QSB 5.9 380 hp engines.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

So pretty and glossy!! Sweet!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

The things we do for these boats!! Looks good can’t wait to see it done. I was thinking about it but I chickened out. Keep the pictures coming.
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

I thought about it and thought about it some more. Most everyone I talked with (experienced boat builders) tried to talk me out of it. Getting the halves off was not too much of a problem. It would have been easier if I had known the actual construction of the top but most of it is hidden. I'll post some Post Op pictures next week.

I've got a plan for the build back which hopefully won't cost me too much time.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Reporting new progress. We had a long weekend and got started back on reinstalling the flybridge. So far we have spent about 3 days on the project including the demo, grinding and reinstalling. The starboard and port sections each take about a day to prep and get into place. We are using 1/2 coosa as a backer for the new glass we are lying up.
I'm thinking we will have another 3 working days to finish the project maybe two!

You can see that we fabbed a new laminated beam to support the flybridge and tie in the sides. We added 1/2" coosa backers for the riggers. There is a lot of stress when the riggers are out especially when trolling at higher speeds. I'll post some more pics as we finish up the project. The wider flybridge is a game changer for the the 31!

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rick, I can't tell from the photos, but did you set the side pieces of the bridge further to the rear so that you would keep the same curvature across the front?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Rawleigh,

Slightly but not much, maybe an inch or less.

We specifically cut the flybridge where it flattens out so as to avoid too much fairing work. So far our plan is working out. I'm happy to take some detail pics if you would like with dimensions.

We're pushing to get the cockpit work finished and the flybridge has not been a priority. I do want to get this work completed prior to installing the new engines to keep down the fiberglass dust.

I've always thought the floor of the flybridge was flimsy so I've fabbed a laminated coosa beam for the pilaster under the FB floor and we'll be stiffening the entire floor. Bigger flybridge means more people up top so I'm engineering for a crowd. I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Looks good so far Rick, Widening the bridge is a nice upgrade if you are willing to go that route. If you look at the 30 CC Tournament the bridge is huge and I think when they built it they took many of the shortcomings of the B31 and tried to better the 31 with newer ideas.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

The 31 has classic lines but the flybridge was IMO always the Achilles heel of the boat. I got to see a 31 with the FB widened in Bertram Heaven in Point Pleasant, NJ. It was Dwayne Hauck's boat Bang A Rang.

I'm taking a little different approach to Dwaynes boat but his boat truly showed that 16 inches makes a huge difference without changing the classic look of the Bertram 31. Apparently Tropic Star is also widening the FB on their boats once they go in for an engine refit.

I really thought this project was going to add a month to my rebuild but its looking like I may get out with just under a week of time.

I apologize for not posting a rebuild thread but we're just too damn busy. I promise to post a rebuild thread soon.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick,

I hadn't thought that widening the bridge would create a void in the fb sole; in the 28 the bridge is a "on top" addition, so it does not affect the floor.
The 30cc is a Napier design so it's wide as the 28, perhaps more.

Like I use to say to tease my 31 friends, if your 31 feels too small, at the bridge or in the cabin, sell it and buy a 28 !!

Good luck!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

There are voids under the floor of the FB. The pilaster has a small wooden 1floor support. I've taken this out and built a coosa beam. That took a little work. The radius of the pilaster goes from 2.5" at the ends to approximately 3/4" to 1" in the center. I'm adding a sheet of 1/2" coosa under the rest of the floor.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I cannot wait for finished pictures!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I've been a little delinquent in posting on this project as we are jumping around focusing on the cockpit work. We did get another day of work on the flybridge. Here is some additional progress. Thanks to Jason and others for some of the ideas. The FB is extremely stong with the addition of the coosa support across the front and under the floor. Hopefully we can focus on this project and get her done in the next couple of days.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
John F.

Post by John F. »

That looks great. In the last pic, the proportions look even better the the original. Please keep the pics coming. This may be a future project for Crowsnest
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

John,

Its absolutely a game changer for the fly bridge. Once you stand on one that has been widened and strengthened its a huge difference.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I think I've found the equivalent of Truck Nuts for a Bertram 31. Stay tuned for pics!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

As promised, Something to think about. We've spent two days on this extra little side project on the flybridge wideninug project. We have one more for the rough glassing. I will have to refer to the Flybridge now as my Command Center. Will post more pics after we get through tomorrow.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

A little better shot

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Great work, Rick. Where are you working on the boat?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Great work. It’s a really awesome upgrade that you rarely see around here.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tommy wrote: Jun 10th, '22, 21:05 Great work, Rick. Where are you working on the boat?
Great question! I tried for 3 months to find someone to repower the boat for me with little to no luck. I decided to do it myself. Its in my driveway in Bennett's Point, SC which is just below Charleston, SC. I've got John Gieges, a Point Pleasant guy helping me out along with some buddies on the weekend.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Jun 11th, '22, 13:23 Great work. It’s a really awesome upgrade that you rarely see around here.
Peter,

It really and truly is an awesome upgrade. Our boats were designed at a time when there were little to no electronics. I struggled whether to tackle widening the flybridge but I am extremely happy that I did so. I'm guessing I'll be two weeks when its all said and done.

As you can see from the previous photos there were some upgrades made by the previous owner but I'm trying to keep the classic look of the 31 along with dramatically improving the ability to install electronics. We demolished that and went back to a semi traditional look but still having the area for ample electronics along with access to the electrical. We got the panels roughed in today but after a day on the grinder, I'm too tuckered out to take some pics. I'll post some more tomorrow.

I will say adding the third tier brought back the proportional look of the flybridge after its widened and allows for a lot more functionality. It took a lot of thinking and some sketching to get it just right. I think ya'll will like the girlfriend seat. I'm looking forward to 2' chop!

We may just have too come up with a new model of 31.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Progress over the weekend. We've got fiberglass on 2/3rds of the panel and will glass the right side tommorow. We are heavy into fairing the front and sides. I'm figuring another 2 to 3 days to complete the project with the exception of final painting. We've got a couple of days left in the cockpit and then will move to the cabin. Trying to beat the heat. I'm mixing on chill packs. The heat is winning!

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

It looks like you are going to start a new trend. Be interesting to see the final product, and how the extra weight effects the performance or mostly roll.

I think it is going to look great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony,

I'd bet the net extra weight is approximately 50#s. We are using 1/2" coosa and less than two 4x8 sheets were used. We demo'd probably 25#s of old glass.

Epoxy is being used everywhere. The real weight added will be in additional people sitting on the Flybridge. I'll also be able to increase the ceiling height in the cabin about 3 inches.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

raising the ceiling height even by 3 inches is huge.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Jun 13th, '22, 21:10 raising the ceiling height even by 3 inches is huge.
Agreed. I'll take some pic of the laminated beam with the curve, I built in to raise the ceiling height. I'm picking up an inch just getting rid of the wood Bertram put in to screw the ceiling to and another 2 inches of so with the beam. I'm using 1/2" coosa for the floor so I should pick up another 1/2" there.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Got most of the fairing completed and the first coat of primer.

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
devinfox

Post by devinfox »

That is some damn good looking work sir. Any updates on her?
Devin
31 Bahia Mar
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yep, We added a new higher more functional gutter to the rear of the flybridge. I glassed it today and we will grind it down tomorrow for a finished product. I suspect by noon we will have the Flybridge project completed. The fairing took a little longer than anticipated. I'll load up some more pics shortly.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Here is a couple of photos. Adding a gutter (in progress), my wiring chase and port electrical closet. All electrical and electronics will be contained in the Port and STB electrial closets under the FB.

My final count on the ceiling height in the cabin is 75" clear. I'm 6' 2' so I've an inch to spare!

Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue