Corrosion X usage question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Corrosion X usage question

Post by Harv »

I am planning on changing out my spark plugs and was wondering if a blast of C-X into the sparkplug holes would be a good idea or a bad idea. Just planning on one quick blast through the straw. Any thoughts?
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harv, it's not gonna hurt, but probably not something you just have to do if the engines have been run recently. Now, if the engines had benn laid up for a while, a good idea. Remember, the CX original (in the red can) is a super penetrant and lublicant, but takes some time to penetrate hard siezed up stuff, maybe a couple of days, but it will get it loose. The principle behind it is a thin film and polar bonding to metal. The CX film is about 10% of the thickness of say WD 40, so it creeps, but it takes some time to do that.

If you go over your boat with a $12 can of CX, shoot all the electronics plugs, all the engine wiring harness plugs, overshoot the electronics, shoot the control cables, the gears, all the breakers and fuze blocks, everywhere a corrosion problem would come up, you will save 100 times the cost of the product over time.

UV
skyking

Post by skyking »

UV,
A CX guestion...I'd like to spray CX in places like the inside electical box on genny(where electrical connections are made on the connection strip), and metal fitting at the end of hoses for tranny cooler and oil cooler....will this help prevent corrosion on these metal fittings ?? Will CX harm the rubber like material of hoses themselves, or wires ???

I have a green can of CX too. whats the diff and how is each used ??? Which would be better for coating electrical connections, metal parts, ect.

Everyone seems to direct CX questions...so I'm following the crowd. Last thing,...can I order some CX from you (how would you like me to order and pay)??? Doesn't a 16oz pump spray and a 16 oz aerosol spray can contain the same amount of CX liquid ???

Thanks for your help, Ken
Ken
'82 33FBC w/gas
Thornwood,NY & New Port Richey,Fl
TailhookTom

Another use

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

Don't forget the other secret use of CX -- the aluminum work. I do my hardtop and riggers at the beginning of the season and half way through with the Red CX and they sparkle and shine and repel water for the entire season. For winter storage I take my riggers off, wash them, dry them and give them a shot of red CX and put them in my basement.

Only side effect I have seen -- small flies seem to like the smell or the oil or something and need to be hosed off the aluminum -- however, they do go right off.

Tom
Harv

Post by Harv »

UV,

I've used the Red Magic for all the applications you've mentioned, in addition to my arch, bowrail and even the 50/50 mixture on the engines prior to laying up for the winter. I've only used the boat for the last 3 weekends and figured a little blast couldn't hurt.
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Skyking - no, the CX won't hurt anything, you can spray it anywhere. Sure, you can order it from me, just email my office, VLR@RKKDLAW.COM with what you need, name, mailing address, & a phone # (DHL wants one) and I'll ship it. An invoice will be in the box, just mail me a check when you get it.

The 16 oz. pump has more CX than the 16 oz. aerosol. Pump has no propellant - the oz. size refers to the container size I guess.

UV
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

With one exception, don't spray it where it can creep in to an LCD display.
It has been known to work in to the display and ruin it. Other than that, spray it anywhere.

Da Judge