throttle and transmission cable lengths

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

saburke17

throttle and transmission cable lengths

Post by saburke17 »

Do we all use the same length cables from the flybridge to engines? And what those lengths are? Just ordered a new set of controls and figured i'd change the cables at the same time. Any cable brand suggestions?
bob lico

Re: throttle and transmission cable lengths

Post by bob lico »

red 33 C
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Any idea of the length Bob?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

just notice your inquiry i will go to boat and find out. i have a unique way of running the cables so i can shift rapidly with single lever controls. three cables go down the starboard pilaster and only the (speed) goes down port pilaster to the throttle linkage . starboard side cable makes turn and push pull shift linkage at gears the port goes over the fuel tank and come straight into port transmission shift lever . in so many words the cables make the least amount of bents possible .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Awesome Bob tyvm
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Not answering your question but after you pull your old cables out, use a side grinder to cut the sheath off of one end of the cable and pull the stainless wire out of the sheath. High quality stuff and has to be good for something. Not sure what but waste not I say...
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Not to hijack this thread - but any disadvantages to going to the single controls (that control transmission and throttle) such as the Dometic SeaStar MT3 Twin Control

Seems with space at a premium, freeing up one side of the cockpit would be beneficial. I know several have gone with the side pod single controls - but those are well over double what the MT3 would run

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have them on mine.

Downside is a little less resolution in the adjustment. You get used to them and feel like a fool running someone else's boat at times.

Twin stations require a switching block as they cannot be piggybacked like a single lever single purpose.

Getting in to clean and adjust is a royal pain. Luckily that is rarely needed.

The up side, as you said lots less real estate.
One-handed simplicity for ez maneuvering.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Like Carl I have them also. Been running with them over 40 years. Just make sure you pause from forward to reverse when you hit the neutral position otherwise you will be slamming the boat in reverse.

When they are combined with the ZF 220A transmissions they take a bit getting used to. Both the throttles and the transmission have point that you can feel them click into positon. So in effect, mine click in twice. When I first nudge them forward I can feel the transmission going into gear, then I meet the second resistance point which is the throttle moving past the point it thinks the transmission is going into gear.

I have not figured out how to eliminate that issue.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have MT3 controls on my boat (FBC with 1 station) and enjoy the space savings. I have also found them useful when my sons were learning how to drive the boat as I could get to them easily to "help" when needed. Like Carl says grease them up well when you install - I believe I have to remove and partially disassemble the MT3 to grease them.
My cables are 4 different lengths. The MT3 is offset to Starboard on the bridge and the shift and throttle cables run down to the engines through their respective pilasters. I'm sorry I do not know the lengths off hand.
3/8 clamps like this https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Stainless- ... 1592374237 I found useful in routing the cables and I prefer them to the zipties that were used previously.
Good luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

If you have Cummins engines I have the lengths they were all different. I also did as Bob did and ran three down starboard pilaster and one down port I routed the cables slightly different the stock. There should be numbers on your cables on one end or the other. My stock ones were all the same length. If you look at the picture my cables go over the top not straight down like stock did. I used the old cables to measure for the new ones. Image Image
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Jul 20th, '22, 20:48
I have not figured out how to eliminate that issue.

Tony-
I'd have to recheck, but I am pretty sure the control clicks in matching the trans clicking in...pushing lever further forward there is a slight deadspot as the throttle linkage starts to engage with resistance felt as you start to accelerate.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

These throttles are not perfect in that they provide no real security from making the capital mistake when shifting backwards in a hurry.
You may shift back real quick and pass over the neutral into reverse.
A friend has had his gearbox turned into smithereens because of that.

Yamaha, perhaps others too, have a clicking button just under the lever head that you have to push upwards so as to allow you to engage into reverse. Not that this contraption is panacea, but it limits the possibilities of running into serious trouble.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cable lengths :port throttle 18', starboard throttle 14', port gears 26' ,starboard gears 22' ,trolling valve port side 24' and starboard side 20' .all 33C red
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis-

Like many things in life, you get used to them instinctively knowing where neutral is and not going beyond.

The problem I see is running another boat and shifting without first bringing down the idles as that is done automatically with dual purpose levers.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Like many things in life, you get used to them instinctively knowing where neutral is and not going beyond. ‘

Carl, Im not sure what you mean but I like your reasoning, LOL
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

bob lico wrote: Jul 22nd, '22, 16:59 cable lengths :port throttle 18', starboard throttle 14', port gears 26' ,starboard gears 22' ,trolling valve port side 24' and starboard side 20' .all 33C red

BOB thank you very much.