What was I thinking

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

FV sweetspot

What was I thinking

Post by FV sweetspot »

So November Of last year I was looking for motors and gears for my project 31 bertram. I was looking on the old Facebook marketplace where I came across a 33 Concorde flybridge. It had Cummins 330s with the zf220a gears. The guy wanted like 25,000 so I laughed and moved on. A couple weeks later Jay from snipe tagged me in the same ad and the guy lowered the price to “make offer”. My buddy Mike and I hopped in the truck and headed down to Lewis Delaware. On the way down we stopped and had some beers (I wasn’t driving). Get down to the boat pretty buzzed started it boat sounded good but the tide was to low for us to take a ride. I bought the boat right there lol. (Mistake? Maybe) Months go by I couldn’t find a weather window to bring it back so I ended up having it towed in the water to Lacey New Jersey. (Don’t ask) From Lacey I drove the boat up to Toms River where I parked it behind my house. On that ride from Lacey starboard motor wouldn’t start Port motor was blowing black smoke all over. So I quickly realized that the motors needed more work then I had anticipated. I quickly pulled the motors and gears. Then I started just cutting the boat up with a sawzall and mini excavator. I took a lot of it to the local dump but I ended up filling a 30 yard dumpster. So now I have some Cummins 330s. I still feel like I made out okay even if I have to dump some money into them. Motors and out and being gone though by Tom. Here are some pictures of my journey. Image
You dont know until you go.
trace elements

Re: What was I thinking

Post by trace elements »

Almost did the same thing with another 33 Concorde that had 210s in her. If they had been 330s I probably would have pulled the trigger.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Man looking at that engine with all the soot all over it, I would think they need work. As long as you can keep the repair cost under $25,000 you are probably ahead of the game, not including the cost for shipping and then getting rid of the boat.

Looks like you also gained a fighting chair.

Hopefully you scraped the metal that had value. Depending how much there was, you might have covered some of the shipping costs.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
FV sweetspot

Post by FV sweetspot »

Tony I made out pretty good on the boat. I sold a lot of stuff off of it. I budgeted to have the motors gone through and new hoses.

Trace elements yea I had a pair of 220s first and I wanted a better cruise speed!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Looks like many of Timmys boats.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote: Dec 18th, '21, 23:00 Looks like many of Timmys boats.....

OUCH
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
FV sweetspot

Post by FV sweetspot »

Tony, Mike... Timmys boats LOL That Concorde is gone its in a landfill somewhere now! Im keeping my focus on the Bertram! I hope to have the 31 finished within the next 2 years!