Lockable rod storage?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Lockable rod storage?

Post by Ironworker »

I know I'm asking a lot of questions and please know that I appreciate every response. I'm working on refabing my interior and looking at something similar to what Jason and others have done opening up the port side of the V berth. However, I need lockable rod storage. My boat is a flybridge model but open. I've heard it referred to as a Bimini Bar model. Has anyone got any photos or suggestions as how to accomplish secure rod storage under bench seats.

Thanks
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Re: Lockable rod storage?

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

Are you storing rods and reels or is it for ropes and general boating items? I think the value of what you are storing will dictate how secure you need it. Plus the more secure it is the more damage they will do trying to get into it.

I would think a reinforced pad lock system would work the best. It has to close so that it would be difficult to pry it open. That would mean the top has to recess when closed do there is no seam yo wedge a pry bar into.

Hopefully someone has a good solution.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

If you move the head forward like Jason did and raise the head liner you can store rods vertically in the head and use flush mount zero degree rod holders.

If you don’t open up access to the v berth you can add a door and store plenty of rods horizontally with tubes for the rod tips in the anchor locker. Many of the day boats in Cabo use this method and the vberth is essentially a lockable tackle room.

If you convert the dinette area into a large bench you will need to add tubes for the tips running forward unless you have all rods that are 5’6” or have removable butts.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

If you do away with the hanging locker on the port side and make the bench longer you could definitely put some long rods in here. You could stand some up in the head I built but not to many long ones. I will measure my bench storage area if you would like. My bench can definitely be locked if you wanted to.
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Snipe wrote: Nov 30th, '21, 06:47 If you do away with the hanging locker on the port side and make the bench longer you could definitely put some long rods in here. You could stand some up in the head I built but not to many long ones. I will measure my bench storage area if you would like. My bench can definitely be locked if you wanted to.
Jason, thanks that would be great! I like your arm/drink rest at the transition but I'm thinking I'll need to hollow that out for rod tips.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm looking for primarily rod/reel storage. When I say lockable that would be preferred but I mostly just need "out of sight". I'll remove the rods when in S. Florida but in the Bahamas, I generally leave my rods on the boat especially in my home port of Spanish Wells where theft is not an issue. However, some of the other ports in the Abacos and southern Bahamas, theft can be an issue and I'd prefer not to invite issues by leaving a bunch of expensive rods in plain view.

This boat will be used primarily in S. Florida and the Bahamas as a day boat. However, nothing is safe on an open boat in S. Florida.

Vertical storage will not work for me. Too many rods and some are bent butts. I'm seriously considering keeping the V Berth lockable and intact but the Ms. has other plans. My head is already forward in the V berth and I plan on keeping it there. There is nothing left in the interior of my boat aft of the forward bulkheads so I've got a clean canvas to work from.

I have got to figure out how to post pics!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

When I re did my rear deck I left the smaller fuel tank in place and made rod storage above it with a long deck hatch that lifts up towards the transom. If you have the larger fuel tank you may not have enough room above it for that.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Rawleigh on Nov 30th, '21, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Maybe foldable false wall running under the side windows with the closet removed. Or as said...run through the back of the closet making the space look shorter than it is.

Lockable is great...but when someone who should not be there sees a lock...they think valuables sits behind it.