Engine Bed Question - Repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Engine Bed Question - Repower

Post by JohnV8r »

Hi Guys,

Planning out the engine bed rebuild for the new diesels. I'm basically following Capt Patrick's/Bruce's recommendations from the Buddy Boy install on the installation tips. I do have one question though:

In my quest to not use any wood in anything I put in Shambala, I would prefer to make the sisters out of 3/4" Coosa bonded together with 1708 Biaxial mat between each sheet and on the outside to reach the same thickness as the mahogany sisters in the building tips article. I would still use a 4" 6061 cap rail on top. Is there any reason why I should not use Coosa versus mahogany on an engine bed stringer?

Thanks in advance,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Tony Meola

Re: Engine Bed Question - Repower

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Hopefully someone has the answer to that one, but I would question if it could handle the torque without ripping out the brackets.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

John-
I am no expert - Closer to an idiot, but I believe that is fine. With either material I like the idea of through bolting the C-channel instead of securing it with screws. Good mahogany might hold a screw a little better.
Keep up the good work!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

John there was a Bertram 31 done by mcdougalls marine the used coosa for the engine beds/stringers. My experience with coosa is it is strong when laminated and glassed with several layers. Image
Jason
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Not sure about the quest to replace all wood, especially mahogany---seems to have a long lifespan and holds screws/bolts very well.

I do understand the need to add aluminum to beef them up for the higher torque of diesels.....
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm planning on using coosa to build my engine beds. I've removed 8' of the outboard stringers and ~5' of the inboard stringers. I will be building them back with layers of laminated 3/4" coosa. The plan is to have 1" thick alum plate under the 4 x6 x1/2" aluminum angle caps where the motor mounts will be located. Everything will be through-bolted.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue