Boat, car polish discovery!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Boat, car polish discovery!

Post by Dug »

Hi all,

Over the years I've had a lot of practice polishing boats. I've considered myself good at it, and had a process that worked, but took a lot of time and was hard work. After Alchemy was painted, it changed things up a lot. The Awlgrip products do leave a bit to be desired in my mind.
Fast forward to now, and my Dad put me onto a product he's been using for a while on his car. I tried it earlier this month on my car, and then on the boat and I'm blown away.

Its called Permanon and they make multiple types of products, and they do make a boat product.

Start with a clean boat, mix as guided into aa spray bottle. Spray it on, wipe it, rinse with water, and dry if you like. Or not. It pretty amazing stuff and super easy. So easy I've doubted it for a while. All I can say is try it and you may like it. Water literally jumps off like a scalded cat. And my car is gleaming. Boat looks better too!

The link is https://www.permanonfinishes.com/
Maybe it will save us all some work!

Dug
Carl

Re: Boat, car polish discovery!

Post by Carl »

A genie in a bottle would have a tough time making my boat's paint look good.

I will however give it a try on something on land.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl, I get that. I was impressed. i hope it helps!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Dug wrote: Sep 30th, '21, 08:22 The Awlgrip products do leave a bit to be desired in my mind.
the wash is somewhat acceptable the Awlcare coating/wax SUCKS
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Dug,

Thank you for the recommendation.

However, I give my car a wash (at a wash station) about once a year. Not sure I always do inside and out, sometimes I do inside only.

My boat, I wash by choosing a wavy day and targeting a wave that will spray enough to clean all the dust and dry salt accumulated.
Also, when you say that stuff is easy on a clean boat, it means that you have to clean the boat first...and then go through the ordeal you described!

I guess that these guys didn't have me as a model client when they launched this product!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Dug-
Thanks for this - I will be trying it.
I have used Rejex for many years and continue to be impressed at how exhaust, etc. just release and rinse off. How do you think the Permanon compares?
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

I am looking at giving Graphene a try. Looks like it might be similar but it is already mixed. Start with a clean boat spray on and wipe off. Supposed to last 12 months on cars. So should last on a boat also.

The other trick I found, is every time you wash the boat, use McGuires Ceramic instant wax. Spray it on and rinse it off. I usually use the boat brush to help spread it. It makes the wax last all season and the water just rolls off.

Next year once I use the Graphene I will let you know how it works and we can compare notes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

whatever you do dont bother with or buy the Meguiar's G210256 Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax with SiO2 Boost its beyond terrible stuff

so far I actually found 303 touchless sealant great and I wash with a good quality automotive soap not a marine soap.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Oct 2nd, '21, 11:14 whatever you do dont bother with or buy the Meguiar's G210256 Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax with SiO2 Boost its beyond terrible stuff

so far I actually found 303 touchless sealant great and I wash with a good quality automotive soap not a marine soap.
I have never tried wash and wax, but I found the ceramic instant wax is not bad.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315