Raybo Marine NY

Re: Eastwind 2022

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

The finish is axalta imron industrial

https://www.axalta.com/content/dam/NA/H ... us-Eng.pdf
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’ve been avoiding you all and this site like it’s a plague. Trying to keep myself occupied with other things in life.

Coming to the end of the road and planning on hitting the water in May. I’ve texted some of you guys with updates and questions. I appreciate it.

Ordered just about everything we didn’t have to finish the project. Give it a week and I’ll have some updated pictures.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

A May Splash, awesome news Peter!

I agree, this place can be an inspiration, a place to recharge the batteries. On the other hand this place can also be the stake in the ground to report progress that just hasn't happened...or worse new found issues that move the project backwards...or lets just say a bit sideways blurring the finish line.

Glad you have the finish line in sight, it won't be long now!
neil

Post by neil »

Peter it is good to hear that you are progressing so well,you will never regret your decision to do what you have done.you win the favorite father award.some day our grandchildren will thank us
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

all that time on my boat taking notes and photos we forgot the exhaust. you and rich can come back and i will lay out the exhaust .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl, it’s really a matter of staying occupied with other stuff and just trying not to dwell on how long it takes. It’s not going to be a completely redone boat but we are taking it a little further then I initially thought we would. It’s hard to find that right place to stop. But I’m figuring spending twice as much as anticipated is probably a good spot to do so.

Neil you are right this really is a long term plan. Some of the what if we need to scenarios are, I’ll let the kids worry about that. Thankfully my nephew is enrolled in Fort skyler so I know I’ll have a captain for years to come even if the kids don’t dive in initially.

Bob, I appreciate the time. I’ll be ready to race you soon enough.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Good to hear. I know what it is like. The repowering took longer than I wanted, and we did not do detail cosmetic work. Seems like you are never going to get there, then you get the call, going in in a month. It is a big load coming off your mind.

Congratulations, now make new memories.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Mar 10th, '23, 22:06 It’s hard to find that right place to stop. But I’m figuring spending twice as much as anticipated is probably a good spot to do so.

Seems like a good enough place to stop. Or maybe it's just a pause to reaccess the wants n needs as you and the family get to enjoy.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Cost overruns creep into every project. Coming in on the quoted dollar is really tough. Something always happens. I bet you have never had a home project come in right on the mark. I always plan for wiggle room, but with this economy it is tough to figure in the wiggle room needed.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Glad that you are getting close. It definitely goes over I had said in the past figure it out and triple it. Then you might come in close. I am 6 years in and still working on it you will feel great once you take your first ride. Then even better once you put your family on there and enjoy you first trip. Can’t wait to meet up with all of the guys. We need to have a rendezvous up this way some where. Atlantic City maybe?
Jason
neil

Post by neil »

Snipe the redevous is a great idea,we have gone to many over the yrs and have met some life long friends.we have so many bertrams in nj that we should definitely try to put something together .only problem

is that it takes a lot of advanced notice and a shit load of cortdinating,ask me how I know
John F.

Post by John F. »

Splashing in May sounds great. Good luck with everything.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Snipe wrote: Mar 12th, '23, 09:06 Glad that you are getting close. It definitely goes over I had said in the past figure it out and triple it. Then you might come in close. I am 6 years in and still working on it you will feel great once you take your first ride. Then even better once you put your family on there and enjoy you first trip. Can’t wait to meet up with all of the guys. We need to have a rendezvous up this way some where. Atlantic City maybe?
Atlantic City, Brielle, Atlantic Highlands, I'm in.
neil

Post by neil »

There are a few places in our back yard that I will look at this week one of which is a municipal marina that could possibly accommodate quite a few of us ,this would be in Manasquan inlet and then a few miles to the spot,real easy for anyone coming from north or south of Manasquan.I will look into it this week and then see what interest we have here.I can count at least a dozen 31s within twenty miles of my house
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

If I’m in, I’m in. That’s a very straight run for me.
neil

Post by neil »

Peter,it is a real easy for you and bob and Carl,and even the leader of the mean team it
Is also not a bad run for guys from conn and mass and ri
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

neil wrote: Mar 13th, '23, 19:08 There are a few places in our back yard that I will look at this week one of which is a municipal marina that could possibly accommodate quite a few of us ,this would be in Manasquan inlet and then a few miles to the spot,real easy for anyone coming from north or south of Manasquan.I will look into it this week and then see what interest we have here.I can count at least a dozen 31s within twenty miles of my house
So, I could run the boat up, party with you guys then jump in the car and in 30 minutes be asleep in comfortable bed. Manasquan sounds good to me.

Haven't been to one of these gatherings since we were all up in Shelter Island.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

Tony and all others I did some homework today.it looks like our only chance of a rendezvous would be at Farley state marina in ac .I looked in our backyard and no one could accommodate us.I have done my fair share of orchestrating rendezvous,I am more than willing to help out with food such as a lobster bake/boil,but someone else needs to help coridnate booking the marina and other such details.I should also be able to gather up a few door prizes.hopefully there is enough interest for someone to get the ball rolling.we usually do the first or second weekend in aug .another option would be anywhere from aug 15 to sept 15.so if anyone can chine in as to how to proceed.let’s put the band back together
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

My wife is still recovering from her accident. I’m not sure she’s capable of making the trip but if she is we’d likely get a hotel. She can’t sleep on the boat.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I CAN SUPPLY LOBSTERS
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

We should create a separate thread for an NJ Rendevous. Couple of thoughts:

1. Manasquan
2. AC
3. Shark River
4. Raritan
5. Toms River
6. Barnegat
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Looking great Pete nice work 🎯
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
captbone

Post by captbone »

Just checking in on your boat status. I miss seeing it at the Gazebo.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

captbone wrote: Jul 11th, '23, 13:33 Just checking in on your boat status. I miss seeing it at the Gazebo.
I hopefully you can see this. Almost there, when I’m in I’ll be over at Louis Pond until they dredge the argyle basin.

https://imgur.com/a/GS0OSHw
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Wow, she is really shaping up. You will be there before you know it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

I really thought we’d get to run her before the end of last season and then I was sure we’d drop her in at a normal time in the spring. Then I booked a vacation the week of July 4th certain we’d be ready when I got back. Now I’m back and every day is painful, picking weeds in the morning and going to the pool in the afternoon. I’m turning into a land lubber.

Pete
captbone

Post by captbone »

Still have your flats boat?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

captbone wrote: Jul 18th, '23, 21:45 Still have your flats boat?
No wish I did. I also had an opportunity to buy a friends 20’ sea craft when I started the project. Which I should have done.
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 05:14 No wish I did. I also had an opportunity to buy a friends 20’ sea craft when I started the project. Which I should have done.

Peter- It's better to go Cold Turkey, no boating till Bertram is done.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Carl wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 12:55 Peter- It's better to go Cold Turkey, no boating till Bertram is done.
Agree to disagree. I can't stand to be off the water. If she's not done soon, get something. I run my 20 way more than my 31. There's a moratorium here on stripers/rock from 7/16-7/31. Its pretty weird to have an evening where we aren't checking weather and tides and deciding where to run.

I'm really looking forward to the final product. Sounds like you're just about there
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 12:55 Peter- It's better to go Cold Turkey, no boating till Bertram is done.
That’s why I’ve been hiding from this site for a year and a half. Now I’m back and finding myself watching boat walk through videos every morning. It is easier to just stay away.
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

Peter I am in the same " boat" as you except I did buy a 20' Sea Craft 2 years ago when my 31 went in to be overhauled. I thought I would be in for the end of last season & recently canceled a trip to Block Island for this year. I am hoping for Sept now & will post pictures in the next few weeks. The Sea Craft is great until I go in the ocean & Snipe now Georgia Lee goes by ( she looks great Jason)!

We just have to keep saying the wait will be worth it in the long run.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Was the Sea Craft a Potter Hull? I am getting too old to pick up a second boat, but I also thought 20 Bertram or 20 or 23 Sea Craft with the Potter Hull.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It wasn’t a potter hull. The new ones from the 90s that they also made the lefty kreh edition with. Of course I have seacraft popping up in my FB feed now. It was nice, new console, new wiring and a motor. My buddy sold it and moved south. I would have enjoyed it, I really like bay fishing on an open boat.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

I bought a carolina skiff 21 ultra to use while the bert is in the shop
ive grown to hate it lol
its just a boat to me not my bertram
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I made the mistake of selling a 2nd boat while I renovated and then covid absolutely trashed my timeline.

I had a ray hunt designed hiliner 222 gypsy which rode as good if not better than my Bertram. I ended up selling to my buddy and he at least took me fishing a bunch of times. I also got rides on another seacraft 20 which another friend did over. Scraping up rides from others didn't scratch the itch though.
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote: Jul 19th, '23, 14:29 Agree to disagree. I can't stand to be off the water. If she's not done soon, get something.

I agree and disagree...It depends on where you are. For me when I was doing the work I knew going out on someone else's boat would create a yearning to go back out again and again. It would have also created guilt in that I should have been working on my boat making progress. So for me, it was staying away from the temptation.

Now I can also see how I may have benefitted from recharging the batteries getting out on the water. Maybe I'd have approached working on the boat with enthusiasm instead of as an extenuation of my work day, work week.

I knew Peter was keeping a distance and I respect that decision. I also see how not being the squeaky wheel can keep a project on the back burner. No need to be a nag, but having a presence can move things along.

Whatever the case, it looks like the boat is at the finishing stage, so my fingers are crossed she splashes sooner than later.
neil

Post by neil »

Carl ,having more than one or two boats is a blessing .it is a promblem we should all have one of them will get you out for a boat ride.I saw Tom on his new cc the other day he looked happy but he wishes it was his 31.we both live on the water so to many boats are not a problem
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

The only problem with two boats is double the work. LOL

When my father was alive we had two boats. The Bertram and a 18 foot thunderbird Tri hull. Similar to the one on the old Flipper show. We used it for Bay fishing and crabbing.

It was easier then since there were two of us to handle the work.

We had a guy on our block who was always trouble, he had a 23 Sea Craft that was the old Potter Hull sitting in his driveway. One day it was gone. Several weeks later it was back, but he was in trouble since he tried dumping it back in the Pine Barrens and it came back to haunt him. Back then if he said he didn't want it I would have grabbed it.

Seems like when I was younger, I passed up the toys I should have bought because they became classics. Now that I am older, I don't have that ambition anymore to take on another project.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks JR I know how it feels for you and Pete both I thought I would be done in a season maybe two and it took nearly five but it was so worth it. Hang in there guys it’s coming then we all need to raft up some day and just relax! Both of your boats are looking great can’t wait to pretty up mine.
Jason
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have two boats - a 216 Key West Bay Reef and the B31 - makes for a nice combination if I just want to fish the flats or go to the sand bar or go bigger
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Snipe wrote: Jul 21st, '23, 05:22 Thanks JR I know how it feels for you and Pete both I thought I would be done in a season maybe two and it took nearly five but it was so worth it. Hang in there guys it’s coming then we all need to raft up some day and just relax! Both of your boats are looking great can’t wait to pretty up mine.
If you draw a triangle between point pleasant, Shinnecock and the VZ bridge we’ve got a heck of a group within an easy run of each other. Just have to have a boat and we can work on organizing it.

Was out at the boat this morning. Waiting on the exhaust to come back and working on steering and the wiring. Shouldn’t be too long before we can drop in and do an alignment in the water.
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Jul 21st, '23, 10:44 If you draw a triangle between point pleasant, Shinnecock and the VZ bridge we’ve got a heck of a group within an easy run of each other.
Sheesh Peter- Wa'd I do to you? You cut me right out of the triangle stopping at the VZ...couldn't bump it in a tad bit more to the Raritan Bay. Oh wait I know, its because I only have BT's and this is BTA's only. LOL... We do have a good amount of 31's in our area, just limited on dock space, but lots of room to raft up.

PeterPalmieri wrote: Jul 21st, '23, 10:44 Was out at the boat this morning. Waiting on the exhaust to come back and working on steering and the wiring. Shouldn’t be too long before we can drop in and do an alignment in the water.
Exhaust, I assume you are talking about the risers and dumps. I figure you're going up n over dry with a blanket on the port, up n down on Starboard? ?
Steering is overrated, you have to motors, Get- R- In! LOL. I may be more anxious to C U go in than when it was me. nah, close though.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote: Jul 21st, '23, 10:59 Sheesh Peter- Wa'd I do to you? You cut me right out of the triangle stopping at the VZ...couldn't bump it in a tad bit more to the Raritan Bay. Oh wait I know, its because I only have BT's and this is BTA's only. LOL... We do have a good amount of 31's in our area, just limited on dock space, but lots of room to raft up.

Exhaust, I assume you are talking about the risers and dumps. I figure you're going up n over dry with a blanket on the port, up n down on Starboard? ?
Steering is overrated, you have to motors, Get- R- In! LOL. I may be more anxious to C U go in than when it was me. nah, close though.
Yes the exhaust risers, Carl you are within the triangle but we can make it lady Liberty if that helps.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Pete I have a nice C-hawk sport cabin here suzuki df140, dual axle alum trailer.
be a great 2nd boat even when you get the bertram back up and running
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Jul 21st, '23, 10:59 Sheesh Peter- Wa'd I do to you? You cut me right out of the triangle stopping at the VZ...couldn't bump it in a tad bit more to the Raritan Bay. Oh wait I know, its because I only have BT's and this is BTA's only. LOL... We do have a good amount of 31's in our area, just limited on dock space, but lots of room to raft up.
Not s ure who is still sneaking in here to check us out, but there are a number of 31's between point pleasant and Barnegat. Thsst is still within s striking distance.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

You guys have no idea as to how many 31s are in our backyard ,with in aten mile radius of our house I can count at least eight .they sold them here in the 70s and I guess 80s but most of the ones I can think of are from the 60s and 70s and every one still turns heads
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

Nautical yacht sales out of Brielle. That's where ours came from. Believe it or not he was the first dealer for Bertram. I graduated high school with his grand daughter.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

After catching up on Carolina Reeper I feel like a minimalist. Adding backing pads to the seawater intakes. Decided to put the raycors just above the shaft logs. Steering is done, fuel lines are done. Exhaust is all dry fit.

In the companionway I’m just putting crash valves and transducers along with a bilge pump. There is a plug in the cabin bulkhead so no bilge water flowing into the cabin. Hoping to keep it simple and easy to keep clean.

A house and starting battery will sit on each outboard engine compartment shelf. Nothing else crammed in that space but the engines.

The alley from the shaft logs to the rudder shelf is completely clear with exception on the strut bolts poking through. While my teak deck remains unmodified that space will remain empty.

Two bilg pumps in the transom. The new rudders have glassed in dripless shaft logs. Pretty neat and simple with Hydrive coursemaster steering.

Czone will be in the same starboard vberth location as the original electric. Sounder modules, auto pilot and other goodies are tucked up under the bridge.

12” Garmin display in the center with 2 7” displays on the side flanked by the SMX gauges. The Czone, autopilot, engine data will all be built into the 3 displays. The old light stand on the front of the bridge has been built up to hold a compass that will sit outside the strata glass. The 2nd station VHF is up under the dash and is tied to the main VHF in the cabin.

The old seat base has been repurposed to hold a double wide seat with a flip up bolster and also repurposed are the seat shocks and slides. Original gear and throttle levers, along with a new gemlux wheel. Essentially I have it set so you can pilot the boat sitting back like you are driving a car or flip up the booster when standing. Plenary of space to exit the helm from either side or work the lines from the rocket launcher. I may add a bolster as there is enough space for three men to stand behind the helm seat comfortably.

The brow has been filled with coosa so that it is level with the rest of the helm deck. And strong enough to hold a fully loaded cooler, an 8 man life raft or 3 adults standing.

None of the cockpit panels are going back in the boat. For the time being the deck has an unfinished edge laying on the skirt glassed to the hull. Over the winter we will float boxes on each side gunnel like many of the newer boats do and eventually add a livewell to the transom.

Almost there.

https://imgur.com/a/IbZMdGZ
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Looks great!!
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)