Eastwind 2022

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Re: Eastwind 2022

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I like what you have done. Nice work. Looks like you replaced the fuel tank. Have you added more capacity?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

I did the old tank was 185 we were able to get in 235-240 I believe.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nicely done.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking great Peter!!

Tech n stuff is great, I have come to appreciate minimalist though. Keep it simple can be nice, real nice. Although your electronics are more than minimal.

What do you mean by floating boxes on the sides? Storage compartments or

Cannot wait to hear about the sea trials...
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Looks real nice Pete can’t wait to see her in action!!
Jason
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Looks like the Taco seat - is that the 38" or the 40"?

Boat looks great BTW
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Jeremy, it the 36 or 38. Snipe put in the 40 and it fits just fine also. They honestly don’t look any different from afar and you seem to be able to get around either one with enough room.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks for the reply - did you have the base custom made? looks like it has legs on each side from what I could see in the pictures - All outstanding - you must be getting pretty excited to get her splashed again.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I reused a base I had made years ago, it’s pretty simple. An oval shaped length of pipe with legs set in to give your feet some room. With a metal plate in the middle. The seats are on slides and shocks.

Really looking forward to getting the boat in the water.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

230/240 is more than enough for our area. I am sure you are not going to stay out for days on end. That should easily get you offshore, and back with plenty of reserve.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

I think you are correct, it is really the least of my concerns. I don’t see me picking up from the Hudson to go to veatch or Cape May. And I don’t see if I ever moved the boat to FL doing extended Bahamas trips. If that was the case I have left plenty of space for saddle tanks.

But overall I haven’t set the boat up in that way, no genny, appliances or AC. She’s pretty small for 4 grown men to spend more than an overnight on sleeping in shifts.

The most I anticipate doing is running out to the Hudson, spend a half day trolling until dark. Have the engine idling through the night and doing a half day trolling before heading home.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Pete I went 150 mile round trip moved around for drifts and changed locations and pot hopped on the way home I burned close to 120gal. At least that’s what I am thinking by the numbers I didn’t top it off yet.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you ever call a truck for fuel you'll want to take what you can get over paying at the marina pumps. Also good if the fuel docks around you are not great in having good fuel or hours. We have two fuel docks in my harbor, once the regular boating season comes to a close, open hours are rare...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Snipe, that’s great to know and that seems to be what my thinking was. Carl, I’m in a village marina so they don’t allow trucks to come in for fuel but at worst I’m passing by the Captree fishing docks on my way out where there is a commercial party boat fleet and fuel dock plus a couple of local fuel docks.

One thing I’ve thought about and am considering in the future is how I may do an overnight canyon trip. I’ve obviously not done them on this boat but on other boats I’ve been belly down on the bow trying to get hooked up to a lobster pot and also had to release from it in a storm because of a fish and to get out of the lobsterman’s way. That’s never fun. It’s real thorn in my side and so I’ve been working with the idea that my engines may need to idle all through the night and how that plays into fuel consumption.

Lately I’m seeing bigger boats 32’ center consoles using a trolling motor for spot lock for wreck fishing and I’m wondering if that could make sense for overnight chunking. A 36v system could run for 6 hours. So it’s a potential solution for overnight chunking, bottom fishing and saving on fuel consumption when I may otherwise leave my motors running to control a drift.

At this point it’s just a thought and consideration but apparently minnkota is coming out with a new motor that may make this more of a reality.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Snipe are the SMX gauges capturing fuel consumption data for you?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

When I had the offshore crew, we use to overnight all the time. Leave early Saturday morning, troll all day and lay up at night. Never tied up to a pot. We had a huge sea anchor that held us in all night. Actually two 31's in all night. One dropped off behind the other and the sea anchor kept us within two miles all night.

One night we left on a Friday night and on the way out about 50 miles off we hit a bad storm and had to use it to ride it out. You could put a float on it with a buoy if you need to drop it and then come back later to pick it up. If I did that at night, I would put a light on the float.

We never left the engines running but we had gas back then and we needed all the fuel we had. Crazy back then, we use to carry 30 to 50 extra gallons. Most we ever used was 210 gallons of gas, but we were 110 miles off that time. On the East wall of the Hudson.

I would expect that at the end of the trip, you should have an 80-gallon surplus of fuel so you should be good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
neil

Post by neil »

Peter the most we have ever burned was 190 and that’s with the genny running the whole thirty hrs ,you have plenty of fuel to do anything you want,we carry 250 gallons
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

No fuel burn readings on the gauges I just stick the tank. The fill is straight down in the deck got it figured to like 10 gallons an in. That was running out like 25 knots and running home at 29.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

My 220-gallon tank is roughly 23 inches deep. Figure 10 gallons not left when empty, that gives you about 10 gallons an inch, so you are right on. Do you have a port you open or do you pull the sending unit?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I put a cam lock fitting right into the tank and I measure with a tape measure. I fill right through the deck. I will take a picture.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason, sounds like dads boat. Unscrew fitting n stick the tank. Crude but accurate.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Anyone have a recommendation for engine box hinges? I’m hoping to mount them on the inside so they are hidden.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thank you those are the default ones I was planning on going with if I surface mounted them on the outside. Wasn’t sure if anyone has successfully mounted them on the inside or used another hinge.

The pin so the box can be removed is important and more so then hiding them if these can’t be mounted inside and there are no other options I haven’t seen.

Just by eye I don’t see how these would work on the inside without binding.
Carl

Post by Carl »

A quick look, I'd say the pin could be pulled allowing one bracket to be flipped to mount on the inside. May require a little grind here and there for clearance.

Could be a royal pain to remove and re-attach when short-handed.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I did the sea choice Image

Mainly because I liked the idea of being able to take apart - AND - most of the mount is rounded - so easier on bare feet (they were fairly inexpensive too)

Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

There’s a slightly more modern looking version of the classic take apart hinge. The main thing is they only release at full angle versus the others that you mount so they constantly vibrate towards the side to keep in place.

They must be bolted so I would rather look at the hinge than nuts and washers on the cockpit side
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Oct 2nd, '23, 11:04 They must be bolted so I would rather look at the hinge than nuts and washers on the cockpit side

I would think if going for the clean look with hardware hidden, I would think a large backing plate could be incorporated into the underside. At that point have studs protruding or have plate tapped to accept bolts. Another option could be recessing the hinge into the deck. Or my choice, the Kiss method, Keep it Stupid Simple, like Raybo said.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Simple Carl, not surprised I didn’t think of that. I’m going to order them and see what happens.
Raybo Marine NY

there's actually a lot of copies of this hinge floating around, someone in china is definitly making these under all different names

whitecap, sea dog, and then just a ton of no names

the box is only so thick and he has that old teak deck he loves , the boxes are also already painted inside and out.
I dont think a recessed take apart hinge would work being that it has to slide to one side to take apart

Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Oct 2nd, '23, 12:22 the box is only so thick and he has that old teak deck he loves , the boxes are also already painted inside and out.

I was trying to say while possible it would be a large undertaking to do it right.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I thought everyone loved my teak deck, now you break the news that it’s only me. (Joking)

I had the hinges that slid apart, without anything but friction or gravity from keeping them from coming apart. They were great when you wanted to take off the boxes. They weren’t so great when you opened the boxes on a drifting boat and they came apart when you didn’t want.

I guess maybe I’m over thinking this, the cosmetics of not seeing the hinges is nice. One less place to stub your toe is also nice. But maybe the KISS principle is best, put them on and call it a day.
Raybo Marine NY

You could also get a hinge with a removable pin. It just needs to fit on the box.

The hinge I shown the box has to be all the way open to slide out.
Otherwise sometimes what people do is mount one hinge facing one way and one the other (they’re sold left or right ) You then have to remove one hinge to move the boxes out of the way. Assuming if the box is being removed there’s some work being done and removing 2 bolts is the least of your problems.
Or mount them so they open out but I guess they could still vibrate off.

And don’t forget the mat to rest them on when they're open so they don’t get all scratched up, walking and working in the boat while they’re open the edge can easily vibrate and scratch
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

BTW I’m skipping the czone, I’ve really been trying to keep things simple and we have some lights and bilge pumps a few screens and that’s it. I’m really appreciating going with minimal stuff and not having to worry about things that can break.

Super close to getting in, have a nice big list for the winter but a little shake down and my favorite part of the fishing season from mid Oct to Thanksgiving May just bring things to life here.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Project creep can keep you on the hard and dry stuff for a long time while emptying the pockets.
It was bad doing the work myself but I'd think more if relying on outside help with other clients to tend to.
Raybo Marine NY

after all this no matter what I would still want it exactly how I had planned.
Only thing worse than an extended project is rushing and omitting things to finish it quicker.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Oct 4th, '23, 08:49 after all this no matter what I would still want it exactly how I had planned.
Only thing worse than an extended project is rushing and omitting things to finish it quicker.

Very true, achieve the goal that was set out in the beginning.

I was referring to overachieving on the plan as The Enemy of Good is Better. A small homage to UV...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Rob,

I totally agree and there is unfortunately going to be some of that but in the case of the wiring. I have to run hard wires for some switches like a horn and bilge pumps. I think either way I was going to have 3 switches on the bridge. I will now have 5. Everything else like interior lighting is switched at the fixture so having that in my display doesn’t really add much value for me.

That being said most of the punch list is getting done, certainly not at the speed I anticipated but we are getting there.
Raybo Marine NY

You could later on still put all switches into your navigation unit, but you do always want a regular hard wire for your manual bilge pump operation.
You added another bilge pump midship?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I have 4 bilge pumps. Cabin, just aft of the cabin bulkhead, the transom and a larger in the transom with a high water alarm and a higher float switch. The crash valves will have hose coiled in the companionway, will be super easy to flush the system or to get a hose forward or aft if needed.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Overall, I’m very excited about a minimalist approach. Easy to clean and easy to maintain. I had always been a center console fisherman so the idea of showing up with a bunch of sandwiches, rods and tackle. Hose it all off and bring home works for me. The wiring is simple enough that I can pretty simply track down a problem. The boat isn’t crammed with stuff so I don’t have to worry about mildew accumulating under stuff. I will be able to get into any of the spaces with a hose and a scrub brush fairly easily.

Those big battery shelves will have two batteries on them. The companionway has the sea water intakes and transducers. I can easily stand in there with the deck out. And that entire alley between the shaft logs and the rudders is open space.

Haven’t decided if I will put floating boxes under the gunnels and a livewell or just leave it completely open. Going to use it without any side panels for a while and see what I think.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter- You lost me with bringing tackle n rods to n from boat with each trip. lol

Food n drink goes down to the boat, rarely does it last long enough to go back.

Hose it off and go... where is the "LIKE" button?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

I know you and many other folks park the car in a lot and walk down the dock to your boat. I have the ability to back my truck right up to the transom of the boat. So going from the cockpit to the truck bed is really no different than going into the vberth.

I have 40 or so rods and as many Plano boxes of tackle in my garage. It would be pretty normal for me to bring a dozen rods for two guys to go striper fishing. 2x diamond jig, small spinners with sand eel jigs, to large spinners for Danny plugs, a couple live bait rigs and a rod with a bunker snag. Maybe a rod with a large buck tail and a couple harness jigs.

I’m happy to spend the evening before a trip, at the picnic bench outside my garage re rigging leaders organizing the tackle. All part of the fun for me disconnecting from the world and making a game plan for a trip.
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL, yes we go about our fishing trips a bit differently.

Mid-afternoon I'll get a feeling I can leave work on time today, nothing urgent to take care of at home, weather is good...I am going fishing, I'll text Doreen to see if she wants to go. The boat is halfway to my house, so I go direct. If it is on the boat, it's what I'm using, aside from a possible bait stop.
My game plan is to just get out... Catching fish is nice too.
Sometimes I/we just go down to check the boat and find ourselves out fishing...it happens. Other times a boat ride turns into fishing...birds, marks, pods of bait...or pass a boat with a bent rod...things happen, have to have the gear on board. LOL.

My offshore trips are similar to your style, those are not last-minute trips, have to pull the rods n equipment from home, go over lines n gear before. At least that is what I remember doing...it has been a while.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

Slightly off topic, but what isn’t. I moved my office during the pandemic and it’s now 2 miles from the house. On the way there I pass the school the boys go to and my boat slip. When I actually have a boat again that should make it a lot easier to get out then in the past.

Hoping to have a lot more time on the water next year, but still holding out that we will be doing shake downs with bass rods.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bass are in, hope you get to use the rods.

Less travel time to work sounds great.
Sammie-B

Post by Sammie-B »

Hey Peter

Havent been on the board for quite some time, but look for your boat everytime I drive past the Village Dock.
Good to see you are almost there!
Will be looking for you out there=

Gene
West Islip NY
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sammie-B wrote: Oct 17th, '23, 22:21 Hey Peter

Havent been on the board for quite some time, but look for your boat everytime I drive past the Village Dock.
Good to see you are almost there!
Will be looking for you out there=

Gene
They need to dredge the Argyle basin so until they do the boat will be in Louis pond when it goes back in.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hopefully these all uploaded

Today was the day, ran the new 370s for the first time. Completely insane. Full tank, 3 men, bottom yet to be blasted. Not completely dialed in yet.
3040rpms 34.5kts
2200rpms 25kts
2500rpms 28kts
2600rpms 30kts

https://imgur.com/a/fXT5GsI
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Great news!!!
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou