Non boat related...just awesome customer service.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Non boat related...just awesome customer service.

Post by Carl »

McMaster Carr has always been great to deal with, the BEST online ordering hands down.

I got a last-minute Rush order yesterday and NEEDED a special tool to get it done...I checked to See if McMaster had, they did so I order tool and accepted the customer's order. This morning at 10:03 I get an email saying my order was delivered at 10:02... Thinking maybe left outside, I check, nope. Maybe neighbors got it by mistake, nope. I check UPS tracking and it says front desk and I signed for it. I don't have the best memory, but I know my arse has been here in the seat and I do not recall getting a package.

I call UPS and get the, you need to make a claim and wait 10 days garbage. I didn't have time to call my local distribution center...they have been helpful, but is an all-day affair.

What to do...I call McMaster...let them call UPS and figure out what happened.

First they offer to Red Lable a Replacement so I have 1st thing in the morning.....nice and I appreciated that, but I said today would be much better, can you call UPS and push them to contact the driver...I'll go pickup if they know where package might be.

I'm asked to hold a minute...girl gets back on the phone telling me they are packing up a repalcement and sending it to me by messenger... It is an hour and a half drive each way with tolls. And this is for a $250 dollar replacement order... No charge for the delivery.

Sorry, but this is just amazingly crazy good customer service.

....this is where I need to say, in no way am I affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Non boat related...just awesome customer service.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They aren't cheap..... but they're the best.

I buy from them all the time.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Carl they are the best hands down for sure!! Like Mike said not cheap but have everything. They have an app for the phone and it’s dangerous so easy to use!
Jason
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

If it’s in stock in NJ you get it the next day with standard shipping
I’ve ordered at 5pm and my ups guy has it to me the next morning
Carl

Post by Carl »

Been ordering from them from the time we could auction off their old catalogs on EBay
Actually been ordering since before ebay and the web...

Yes, pricey depending on how much you value your time. Sure you can go to your local hardware store and buy a half dozen bolts for .15 that you'd pay $10.00 for a box at McMaster and have to wait for tomorrow to recieve.

But how much time does it take to get to the local store.
What happens when they do not have the size you need...now its off to another store.

OK, so you say go to Bolt depot online or where ever, they may or may not have, some of the quality is marginal at times. BUT when they take order and say they ship same day...what was the cutoff time? Even if you make it...does it go out that day? Are you sure it left...next day when waiting do you have a tracking number.
McMaster, Have order placed by 6 you have next day, confirmation with tracking sent automatically.

Only downside I ever found was I needed to make a sample, ordered a part from them which was pricey...but I could not find it anywhere else. I wrongly assumed IF we got the order McMaster would work with us on dropping the price if we ordered 1000pcs. If not I again wrongly assumed I would be able to find elsewhere if they didn't.

Well...we got the order, McMaster would not budge on the price...they didn't care if it was 1pcs or a 1000, the price was $15.00 each. I was also wrong I'd be able to find that part someplace else...and let me tell you I looked, called and called.

Best McMaster dealing...at least til yesterday...

A customer of mine is flying to Florida with his crew to install parts we made in manholes. On the way to the airport on Friday afternoon they realize nobody has the equipment or hardware to install. Customer thought crew was taking, crew though he had it all down there waiting for them. OOps.
My customer's, customer is flying in later on Saturday to meet, inspect and make a final decision on a large order based on what they see.

I get a frantic call...please do whatever, get me the stuff tomorrow morning.

I place a couple calls and get nowhere...nothing in stock or closed on Saturday and will not open.

I check out Mcmaster, they have everything needed. I call to ask if they can get it to Florida tomorrow morning. I have a compressor, lines, fitting, pneumatic drills and hammers, tool bits, hand tools, boxes and boxes of hardware, safety equipment, signage, barricades all on order. McMaster managers get involved as stuff needs to come in from separate distribution centers and they need a truck to deliver from the airport when planes land to the work site.

By the time my customer landed in Florida, I had good news to tell him...it should all be there by 10am.

It all showed up. That was crazy and that was very expensive, but my customer was thrilled and thought the price was well worth it.

Yesterday, sending REPLACEMENT parts out by messenger, a package they did not lose at their expense without me even asking. I' talking an hour and a half trip each way with tolls...

WoW! I'm still quite taken back by that.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yea, I have ordered from Virginia at 6 pm and had it on my desk by 11am next day at standard shipping rates. I hear they have a UPS terminal at their warehouse. Expensive, but worth it when you need it! I bet you will buy from them with confidence again though!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

its hit and miss on the hardware pricing

just a month or so ago pricing out new stainless engine bolts and lags McMaster was way cheaper than bolt depot
I also find mcmaster's shipping charges extremely reasonable
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Sep 25th, '21, 08:47 its hit and miss on the hardware pricing

just a month or so ago pricing out new stainless engine bolts and lags McMaster was way cheaper than bolt depot
I also find mcmaster's shipping charges extremely reasonable

If it matters you need to be up to date on what stuff cost. Some stuff is about right, some stuff is pricy with other items just off the wall expensive. Some of it may be that way as it’s what your familiar with. Machine tolling and raw materials is kinda overly high for me. But if I didn’t buy that stuff daily it might seem reasonable.

In any case, having the item ordered with next day delivery…