"Bay of Pigs" 31 Bertrams

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

"Bay of Pigs" 31 Bertrams

Post by SteveM »

While I was in The Bahamas earlier this year, I met a guy that worked for Bertram back in the day.
At the dock, I had both my 31 Flybridge and the 20' Sportsman there and we were discussing the I/O Mercruiser re-power of the latter.
I mentioned to him that there was an I/O 31' Flybridge here on Man O War Cay and it was the "only one I had ever seen".
I figured it was a one-off.

He said, "No, in fact we made a bunch of 31's with I/O's for the US Government's plans to invade Cuba".
Told me the government wanted them to be able to raise the engines in shallow water and they installed the biggest/fastest engines possible.
I believe he said they were never used and ended up going to the yard for a while and then scrapped or sent to auction.

I thought it was a very intriguing story as I enjoy history of this kind.
I don't know the timeframe, if it was for the Bay of Pigs or a later proposed invasion.

Would be interesting if anyone has seen one of these boats. I neglected to ask him the configuration, FBC, Sedan, etc.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Rocky

Re: "Bay of Pigs" 31 Bertrams

Post by Rocky »

Wow, such interesting information. I wish he could join us for more! I wonder if the twin
Ford427 side oilers where a set they put in them for military, that was what we had in our FBC.
(Shelby Cobra engines). Talk about a fast 31, we rarely dared to keep them pinned for more than a few seconds at the upper range.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cool history ! ! I’d love to see a picture of one of those boats.

My dad has a 28 Hatteras from 1966, apparently the government was looking to send boats like that over to Vietnam as he has pictures of his exact style boat fitted with jest drives for the low river waters in that drab green. I’m not sure if they ever went forward with production but it’s definitely a piece of history.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I seem to remember reading some place that Bertram actually did build and supply River boats for the military and they were used in Vietnam on the rivers. Maybe someone could confirm that one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

There are 2 examples in the SEAL museum on A1A in Fort Pierce. I recognized the hull although nowhere can you find any info on them.
I have a couple of photos but can't post them here, they're not online and there isn't an upload feature in the site.
Looking for my next boat!
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Examples in the SEAL museum at Fort Pierce.
The 11 PBRs delivered in March 1966 and the approximately 300 delivered over the next few years to the U.S. and South Vietnamese military were based on a pleasure boat design constructed by Uniflite.

Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Tony: A few B31's specifically outfitted went to Israel for military use there, and a few other countries too.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I've heard of the uniflite making boats for the military in Vietnam before - not a Deep v per say, friends Dad has one, sides are almost 1" thick, he thinks it would stop most small arms
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

The PBR "Patrol Boat River" boats in Vietnam were kickass setups. The JetDrives and shallow water capability were excellent and they could turn 180 in their own wake....(maybe even better than Bobs Phoenix...LOL)

About 20 yrs ago there were 2 old PBR hulls that were not bought by the military and were for sale. They needed engines but were very cool. I was trying to get the FDNY to buy them for their summer boat program which would have them used for rescue and fire suppression. They would have been excellent in Jamaica Bay around Kennedy Airport and the shallow water in the area. The front turret on the PBR would have been an awesome platform for water cannon. I wish they would have done it but they just did not have the funding back then. That was just after 9/11 and the program was not on the top of the rebuilding list.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

I have a book on the Bay of Pigs that describes a 31B fitted with a 50 cal, that strafed a hotel from Havana bay. Don’t think they hit anyone…..pretty sure book is called Shadow Warrior. I look for it at home later.
Supposedly they had a picture on the front page of a Miami newspaper with a pic of this boat…..there was a discussion thread on the old bulletin board……don’t believe the name of the boat was revealed.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

When I was just out of college and paying for my dive gear I dove on the running gear of a Uniflite hull that had been finished out as a house boat. I don't think it was a military hull, just of the same design. Not a bad looking boat as far as house boats went! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
neil

Post by neil »

That is one badass boats,one of my clients had a unifliet that was redone he ending up donating to charity
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The uniflites were fire resistant. Don't remember what they put in the resin to make them that way. They were also really heavy for their size.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

They were probably layed up with vinalester resin. I believe that is fire retardant. Cool boats my buddy had a uniflite back in the day.
Last edited by Snipe on Sep 17th, '21, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

When we were looking to move up in boats, my father did consider a Uniflite until he saw the Bertram28. Went to buy a 28, and there was a 28 and a 31 sitting side be side in the yard, and my father decided the 31 fit our use better.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the near front one would be a excellent fishing boat in the northeast. seriously would you run thru his shark slick!!!!!! i can personally tell you twin "MA DUCE" 50 cal. will definitely ruin your weekend and put the fear of God in you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

It was a weekend or two after 9/11, the sky was void of planes and a thick smoke trail from the towers hung over Staten Island as we headed home from dinner at the highlands on a buddies boat.

Between our harbor and the highlands is a restricted zone around Leonardo Ammo Pier marked by a bunch of yellow buoys. Normally cutting them short is not a problem…

Those were far from normal times. Heading home from an early dinner on a friends boat I heard something from behind. I turned around seeing one of those BIG guns pointed directly at me only a few boat lengths behind us and closing. I jabbed my buddy as the PA blared out”you have entered a restricted Zone, you must exit now. He turned around giving an oh Sh$t turning the wheel. That MP Rib kept that Gun pointed directly at us till we left.

Yes, they do get your attention.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

About a month after 9/11. My Dad and I were drifting for bass in front of the FI coast guard station. I hooked a nice fish around 20lbs and we drifted with 500 feet of the entrance of the station.

They brought us in and had us tie up to there dock, they inspected the boat and were pretty darn serious about it. We ended up getting a ticket. My wallet was in the car back at the marina so they gave my Dad the ticket. They said something would arrive in the mail but it never did.

I didn’t fish that nice rip for a good 10 seasons, when I did it was my nephew that was only 3 months old on 9/11. He was about 12 at the time and pulled a 25lb bass out of there on a big ole yellow, wooden metal lipped swimmer.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

My memory is a bit vague as this goes back to the early/mid 70's and I had to be 5 or 6. My dad and his bud took the families to the beach, Sandy Hook Beach. I guess dad was kinda like me...or I'm kinda like him in that our idea of going to the beach is one that is away from everyone. So that's what they did...found a quiet beach by boat, pulled up close then brought out the blankets,toys, food and BBQ.

That's when it started...heard humming and white things back behind the brush came into view. Heard a couple of expletives as Jeeps came racing down the beach. Stopped right by us...dad and his bud were handcuffed by MP's and taken away. I'm gonna assume not to long after they came back and we left. I guess us kids and moms just stayed there on the beach waiting.
Apparently, Sandy Hook at that time was a Military base, a missile base at that. I believe the white things were missiles...but I'm not sure what I remember compared to what I've seen on TV, but I'd say they came up swiveled around some like in the movies. I'll have to ask dad about it again.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes it was a army Hawk ground to air missile base they also had a Nike Hercules missile base there . they are long range air defense missiles. out dated and removed in the late seventies.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

There was a Uniflite Dealer at the foot of Woodcraft Canal in Freeport by the name of Jack Hammel. In the era of Vietnam, Uniflite got the contract to build these boats and his son got drafted and wound up running one on in the Mekong River. Uniflite got the contract because of the fire retardant glass they used.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

I am helping my Vietnam Navy Vet buddy from time to time on his PBR Brown water boat that he put 3116 Cats in... I anyone is interested in any way let me know and I can send pics...John