Time to come clean

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Time to come clean

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Obviously I put my boat up for sale last week. I’ve been agonizing over the repower for years and am now sitting on the money to do it.

It took me a long time to come to grips with it, but I started looking at boats that were already done.

I have a deposit down on the old Buddy Boy, was super excited about it and still am but the survey and diesel mechanic inspection has been less then promising. And it seems neglect has caught up with her. What the seller is willing to let her go for and the punch list before the oil analysis is pretty large and can only get larger after.

I am also planning on going to see Wahine up in Newport early next week, which is really the only other boat currently on the market that I'm interested in.

On top of it I have a very interested buyer on my boat that we entered an agreement which is contingent on the survey I'm doing. I think he’s on this board. I also have a growing list of locals and guys from this board and general YachtWorld interest that’s 5 or 6 people deep as well.

I guess that all can change but if neither Buddy Boy or Wahine work out I have to decide if I want to sell my boat and wait for the right boat or keep her and plan out the repower. Still hoping I can make it happen with Buddy Boy but the punch list and purchase price are way over what I’d like spend but nothing more I’d like to do then get her back to her ‘04 condition.

Thank you to all my friends on this board who have provided advice, guidance and an ear to listen. I’ve done nothing but think through this for the last few weeks or so.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tommy

Re: Time to come clean

Post by Tommy »

Peter, Buddy Boy is beautiful and both Patrick and Bruce did fabulous work, but the neglect you refer to has been an ongoing issue. You are a very knowledgeable boater, so stand your ground and if the seller is not reasonable, you should walk. Call me tomorrow if you would like some additional insight.
Tommy
(919) eight eight zero-0832
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Listen to Tommy. Best of luck with which ever way you go.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

I thought that you might be making a run a Buddy Boy. I hope you’re able to make it work for you. Good luck. And yeah, there’s the stuff the surveyor sees and the stuff that you figure out later. She’s a special boat though.

St Mike’s is a nice place. Come visit for the rendezvous
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

I’m hoping to make a day trip, have to wait to find out the boys soccer schedule before I can be certain. It’s a 4.5 hour trip outside of traffic.

Pete
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Peter,

If you'd like I'll look at the surveys and give an additional opinion. I have heard Buddy Boy was let go and before Pat passed, we agonized over it cause we both put our blood, sweat and tears into that 31.
For me the main mechanical feature was the Yanmar 6LY engines. They were commercial grade and were I think awesome engines that Jim decided to go with. Even though the 6lp engines had come out, Jim wasn't sure of the higher rpm of the 6LP. I was able to procure one of the last sets of the 6LY.

The money is in the iron as UV said and it's important to make sure they are gone over from a Yanmar dealer, i'd be glad to review the survey.

Gen set at this point may be trash, not sure if that is the original as I think it was a Mase.

I think your being wise on purchasing an already diesel boat given the cost of iron these days.

I pm'd you my phone number if you get there and have questions. Been sleeping a lot since getting out of hospital but don't hesitate to ring me more than once if I don't answer right away.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter-

Turn Key, turn key, I truly believe you want to buy a Turn Key Diesel boat.

The idea of bringing her back to her former glory does sound very appealing, but how much time, effort and money will be involved. Bringing her back sounds like a job that will have more Project Creep than a Diesel conversion...project creep gets expensive, is time-consuming and frustrating.

Read the surveys and listen to the professional advice with your head, not your heart. Your heart sees 30 knots and the former Buddy Boy.

Good luck on your decison.

Bruce-- Out of the hospital, all ok I hope? !
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Turn Key, turn key, I truly believe you want to buy a Turn Key Diesel boat.

The idea of bringing her back to her former glory does sound very appealing, but how much time, effort and money will be involved. Bringing her back sounds like a job that will have more Project Creep than a Diesel conversion...project creep gets expensive, is time-consuming and frustrating.

As someone who has been working on a punch list for the last 25 years I'm with Carl. My boat looks great and gets plenty of compliments but I still have one more project to finish...and I'm running out of years! Buy a boat you can enjoy and tinker with on the side.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
neil

Post by neil »

Peter you and your boys have onboard our Bahia mar that someone restored if you can steel it run with it our boat was not negleted we wish you good luck
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tommy,

Thanks again for the chat yesterday. As per our discussion of the “making the Bertram 35” video featuring Gator Ray/Buddy Boy.

At the 1:45 mark they show a close up of the gauge cluster and it appears they are at 2600 or 2700 RPMs. As the shot pans out you see the boat running with the water breaking at the front of the cabin.

Those shots were likely taken at different times and potentially at different RPMs. But if they are the same my notes say the boat was running around 20kts. Our sea trial was 18kts at 2500 and 23 kts at 2800).

The wake in that video tells a different story and it seems she’s running faster maybe 23kts plus with the water breaking at the front of the cabin. I’m guessing that’s misleading.

This video was taken after the addition of trim tabs and my guess looking at the wake is that they were running tabs down.

That’s just my guess but if end up as the next steward those tabs will be in a dumpster at Raybo’s yard.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We’ve made some decisions at home here. Eastwind has a lot of sentimental value and if Buddy Boy doesn’t work out we are going to take her off the market and repower over the winter. Most likely with mechanical 370 Cummins. Not going to look at Wahine, it may not be the smartest finance wise but we are okay with that. From cradling my infant son on the fighting chair to my 86 year old Dad jumping off the swim platform.

If the engine oil analysis comes back okay we are a buyer on Buddy Boy at 80k, with the idea that the engines are pulled and worked on over the winter as all the glass work is done. We’d be budgeting 50-70k and have her ready by the spring.

That’s at least our current working theory.
Sammie-B

Post by Sammie-B »

sounds like a (good) plan!

Good luck Peter

Gene
West Islip NY
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I am unfortunately going to reject the offer on Buddy Boy.

Here is a short list of issues not inclusive of all of the surveyors finds. My notes are at home.

Hull delamination above the starboard prop
Fiberglass tabbing in the cabin is cracked the entire length
The teak and Holly cabin sole is rotted
The AC does not provide sufficient temps, the head does not work and the float switch on the forward bilge pump is not working.
The batteries do not provide proper voltage and need to be replaced.
Broken engine mount, both engines need alignment and new cutlass bearings
Trim tabs do not operate.
The emergency engine shutoff for the fire suppression system does not work.
The starboard strut backing pad is wet as is the cockpit deck back to the fighting chairs and needs to be recored or replaced.
There are both an oil and saltwater leak on the starboard motor.
Based on the age of the motors a 1000 hr service needs to be completed.
Servicing aftercoolers, transmission coolers and heat exchangers.
The transmission cooler does not have fresh zincs.
There are a number of non OEM engine parts including a clear rubber tube that is being used as a fuel line. And the elbow on the port motor that brings saltwater up to the engine is a soft rubber hose that collapses on itself and can cause overheating issues.

Both bellows are dried out and cracked and need to be replaced.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete, move on.
Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

I beg to differ, it is fortunate that you are indeed walking away. Your survey money was well spent.

Don't forget the basic dream, a reliable diesel boat you can get in and go.

I think Buddy Boy Blurred those lines with her background, former performance and great looks. What your surveyor can see and tell, only goes so deep. Its when they dive in deeper the scope of the project changes...but by then it's too late as it's your boat. Then your stuck shelling out more coin OR not tackling problems which means down the road they will come up again.

I still say a Well Done Turn-Key where it's all done and proofed out for you. But a conversion...at least you know what you have and will be getting. I'm not a huge fan of surprises.

Good luck, sorry for your dissapointment.
Carl
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It's a shame how that boat was let go and beat down like it was. Glad Pat ain't around to see it.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Let this be a testament to a survey...

I personally went down today to see this boat Buddy-Boy since it is literally down the block from me. I can attest to the curb side appeal of this boat. I did not go onboard and only looked at the dock in awe of her good looks. To me it looked like a brand new boat that just came off the assembly line. I am still awestruck at her presentation.

With that said, the amount of issues Pete told me about on the phone regarding the survey left me shaking my head... It is mind boggling how one of the former owners allowed it to get in such neglect. The rotting issues have to be from flooding when in drydock or a partial sinking...does not make sense. I know the boat would not take water on to promote this kind of damage back when the resto was done so that makes me think it was in drydock and filled with water. Maybe it was hauled for a hurricane quickly and the drain plug was not removed??? who knows and it dont matter at this point.

Sorry Pete, it was not meant to be.

Maybe changing here name was an OMEN her name now is LEGACY ...

I dont understand how someone can spend six figures for a boat and then neglect it and skimp on maintenance...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Sorry it did not work out. But remember, there is always another boat, but at least you still have Eastwind as an option.

Better to walk away from this one.

Be careful on what ever you do to Eastwind. The numbers climb quickly. It is amazing at how it adds up when you are in the middle of an update, so once you set your budget, be prepared to add to it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

As I think through this, the inability to access the forward bilge without unscrewing the teak and Holly as well as sub flooring. Makes it difficult to pull the drain on the hard. In addition Capt pat used an inspection hatch to stop water flow from the companionway to the cabin. Rain water would have filled up at the cabin bulkhead covering the batteries and possibly the bottom of the engines sat in water. Maybe there is a drain just aft of the cabin bulkhead that wasn’t pulled and should have been.

That was at least ten years ago and two owners ago. What the bulkheads look like below that is a mystery you can’t see. There was a rumor that maybe Hinkley did some work to remedy the problem, but I’m not sure.

I’ve asked for current service records, past service records and surveys, anything post 2004. I am sure as heck if I laid out 120-150k for this boat which two people did, I’d attach proof to the survey that the boat was completely restored, and all problems were resolved. Or it’s pretty easy to understand finding a buyer won’t be easy.

It is otherwise a can of worms waiting to be opened. I’ve explained this in detail to the broker, potentially you start pulling stuff apart and it’s a nightmare.

We have some real eyes that know this boat; Pete Fallon, Bruce, Tommy Drake that have intimate knowledge of this boat. And have been generous with there time, I’m willing to pay probably 25k over what each of those folks believe is the walk away number. My plan would be to have it immediately hauled out budgeting 25k for a yanmar yard to pull the engines and fix the mechanical side and have the hull sent to Raybo and budget another 25k for the work on his end.

While I think that’s a low ball estimate I get the impression the broker and owner look at the boat the way Frank saw it. It’s real pretty and shiny and it still hits 30kts WOT. Who’s this alarmist who thinks he needs to sink 50k into this boat for it to be usable.

But even at 100k and assuming there are no surprises and you drop 20k in electronics on the boat, it’s a 170k boat with 17 year old motors. Throw a hard top on it and your at 200k.

I think it’s worth saving for sentimental reasons and when back in fighting shape it would be one heck of a boat.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter- you 've done your homework, kudos to you!

Whatever the reason for the problems, the problems exist and need to be dealt with, that cost money. Finding the reason could help prevent it from happening again. Maybe that is why a possible repair went bad...then again maybe it was never repaired.

Can't get to a drain plug is no reason for letting a hull fill up with water. A cordless drill with 1/2" bit takes care of that in very short time, Come back later and install a real fitting where you put the hole. My first haul out I did just that. At the very least install a bilge pump in that area.

Lots of people buy shiny toys only later to find out they don't work as well as they look. If you do not buy, I'm sure someone will, even at the price being asked.
If it cost alot, it must be good! ...besides its fast! ...can be key factors to some. At least I think so looking at the ridiculous CC being sold today at stupid money. 150k...that's the cost of 2 of the 4 or 5 outboards sitting on the back of these things. And there is a waiting list for the boats.

Sorry, I went on a tangent...yes Peter, what scares me is what you said "a mystery you can't see" and "a can of worms waiting to be opened".

"it’s a 170k boat with 17 year old motors" the 17 year old motors do not scare me. I'll take Bob Licos 17 year old motors any day of the week as I KNOW they have been maintained and Well cared for. I'd take Brewsters as well...extremely well used, but taken care of too.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Aug 30th, '21, 22:12 I think it’s worth saving for sentimental reasons.
Pete- Good job on doing your homework and yet another example of the value of the contributors on this board.
I have yet to come across something more expensive than sentiment.
Good Luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Peter.

Good job on the homework on Buddy Boy/Gator Ray. The devil is in the details. I kayaked by that boat a few times when she was kept down in KCB in the middle keys. She was an awesome looking vessel at that time.

At least with Eastwind you have many years’ experience with her. And you know your boat.

Repowering her would take a fair amount of work, but you’d know what you have, and with new diesels. Sounds like you’re still thinking of going with Cummins, I don’t know how you could go wrong with that.

Just takes Money, Time, and Patience. Seems like I’ve heard that somewhere before.

Good luck. Thanks for posting the learning value of a survey and due diligence.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I did see Capt Pat installed a drain plug on the transom, is the original plug still there as well?
It doesnt take much to clog up a 1/2" garboard plug. I wonder if it was either clogged, never removed or maybe someone thought its best to block level- still have to think at least one person would have noticed the stern mounted drain plug.
Maybe at some point in the restoration the forward bilge was isolated from the rest?

very odd situation, if it weren't for the diesel work I would consider taking a run at the boat myself just as an investment. I also know you have a very small handful of people willing to pay 6 figures for these.
Like many older boats there is a "sweet spot" that makes them easy to sell, once they are above that- regardless of its value and quality- you really have to SELL it and find possibly that single buyer who can appreciate it

If you do repower remember that in the end you have new engines with full warranty, it may not be in as pretty a package but you will achieve what you set out for- reliable power that will last
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd have a tough time believing a single occurrence of water gathering in the boat caused the sole, deck, and strut pad to rot and go soft. To me, it seems to be a pattern of neglect. Maybe a boat that wasn't seen for extended periods with high bilge water. Hot summers...I'm not sure about yours, but mine is like an oven. A sauna if water is sitting in the bilge.

If it was a single occurrence...how long did the boat sit with water in it. How long does it take for dry rot to set in? I know if my boats on the hard and I can't get down to check my boat I have friends that stop by...even if to just stick a twig in the rear drain to make sure it's not clogged, check jack stands. Maybe it's just a Staten Island thing, but it's just something we do.

Raybo...If it were only an either-or risk, this one is both motors and structural gambles. Two wrong guesses could be costly especially when paying for all the services required.

Have to say it's one hell of a package though.
John F.

Post by John F. »

The only 31s that I've seen that were truly turn-key had just been redone and were prohibitively expensive. You either do a lot of the work yourself, and recognize that doing so is a labor of love, or have really deep pockets and turn the work over to a pro (I remember Capt Pat telling me some round numbers on Buddy Boy). Either way, none of this makes sense financially. You'll be upside down on your boat the day you finish the repower, or upside down on BB. In either case, you'll just be less upside down if you do a lot of work yourself (and place no value on your time).

That said, I plan on redoing my 20 in a year or two because I love the boat.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It was stored on the hard up at Hinckley with the plugs never pulled. Batteries went dead and boat filled with rain water and sat.
There was a fwd bilge pump. Pat plugged the lower bilge wash thru and installed a screw in deck plate to keep water out of fwd compartment.
If you hit something under way in the fwd compartment, you could pull the deck plate cover and water would come out.

John,
Buddy Boy was gutted to bare hull fore to aft with cabin sides and top left on. Pat ground and faired a lot of glass along with reinforcing tabs when assembling.

We all know once you have water intrusion, without opening everything up, moisture and humidity with wood in Florida is as good as muriatic acid and aluminum foil.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bruce

The work you and Pat did on Buddy Boy was amazing. I followed the build and printed out Capt Pat’s posts. I copied Capt Pat’s forward bilge idea on Crows Nest. So many cool things on Buddy Boy, like the curved head door. I’d love to see her brought back, and if I didn’t have Crows Nest, I’d make a run at her. I recognize that any neglected boat, no matter how well built, will degrade over time. I was just trying to point out that the numbers never work on these things, and you do it out of passion. Based on what I’ve been told, if I turned Crows Nest over to a yard and had her repowered with Cummins, I’d wind up with a bill of around $125k, and have a boat worth less than that.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

There is history in that boat, not to mention the custom cabin (head as you mentioned) the live well and helm pod with single levers. That’s just icing on top of all the great under the good stuff. My budget is pretty good and I’m pretty sure I could get it back. I think the current owner is trying but it really needs a good dump of work not small pecks. I still may give it another try but I’m going to look at Wahine tomorrow. And meeting with a couple of Cummins guys later in the week to get a better idea of a total project.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

If you repower, you can control your cost to some degree by tackling it a project at a time. This year engines and rebuild the back end, steering etc.

Two years later paint her and do what ever you like to the outside.

Then take your time and redo the interior. All in cost will probably just what you would put into your purchase and updating of Buddy Boy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote: Aug 31st, '21, 16:38 The only 31s that I've seen that were truly turn-key had just been redone and were prohibitively expensive.

John, when I say Turn-Key I mean the boat is solid, seaworthy, and reliable that can be used from day one. Put fuel in it, keep up with the maintenance and use the boat.

Cosmetics and options packages are a separate issue altogether.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Curiosity is getting the better of me, I've got no interest in a larger boat as my little Bertram project is getting the better of me but I'm trying to follow along and figure out where the major issues are and did a search on this site and found Captain Pat's page which he put together.

Buddy Boy Page
https://bertram31.com/bailey/siteindex.htm

Based upon the links in that page, it seems that the rear bulkhead was made new and sealed in epoxy. When the surveyor states that the "Fiberglass tabbing in the cabin is cracked the entire length" is that the bulkhead to side of cabin joint?
https://bertram31.com/bailey/page4.htm

it also seems like the teak and holly cabin sole was made to be removed
https://bertram31.com/bailey/page11.htm

this link (bottom left image) shows what seems to be a deck piece which is removable as well as the backing plate for the rudder and a patch forward. Is this where the surveyor states is delaminated?
https://bertram31.com/bailey/page3.htm
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Bruce wrote: Aug 31st, '21, 17:24 It was stored on the hard up at Hinckley with the plugs never pulled. Batteries went dead and boat filled with rain water and sat.
so bizarre that not one person walked past that boat and thought to at least take out the drain plug

what a shame
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ktm,

Good research.
I would never paint new a 50 yo vessel.
My 49 yo boat is old and it shows it. I want it to.
So in your advise, if you skip the paint job, you're already half way cheaper.

Now that we know there are far more issues that lend the Buddy Boy exercise obsolete, whichever other cost is not worth even discussing.

I think that you're better off in life if sentiment follows logic.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I think the going rate for turn-key Palm Beach 9/10 is 200--275K

There are 2 L & H restorations currently on YachtWorld---MOONTAN & SEA HOTTIE-----well into the 200's----some will probably consider a little light in iron ( 220/250hp)----but I was on the MOONTAN and workmanship and the maintenance have kept it in beautiful shape.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

KTM,

The tabbing is in the cabin and hold the cabin subfloor to the frame. It’s under the L bench and cabinet forward of it. The starboard side was harder to inspect.

The strut backing pad is the ply wood glass to the inside of the hull. It was well glassed over and I’d suspect the water came from below as the hull was soft above the prop.

The teak and Holly seemed to be designed to lay over the sub floor but it was screwed down. And required removing a cabinet door to slide it out. I think I remember reading it rattled so they decided to screw it down.

The transmission fluid turned up some issues. It’s a hard pass now.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Craig Mac wrote: Sep 1st, '21, 15:52 I think the going rate for turn-key Palm Beach 9/10 is 200--275K

There are 2 L & H restorations currently on YachtWorld---MOONTAN & SEA HOTTIE-----well into the 200's----some will probably consider a little light in iron ( 220/250hp)----but I was on the MOONTAN and workmanship and the maintenance have kept it in beautiful shape.
Craig, I think you are correct. Someone with the right budget and the right dream will bring back Buddy Boy.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Sep 1st, '21, 15:27
I would never paint new a 50 yo vessel.

I think that you're better off in life if sentiment follows logic.
Yannis, Yannis….I fully get your point. except I do not agree. My 62 boat (59 years old) was painted 36 years ago..it looked like crap then, it looks like aged crap now. I remember the day I saw it with my dad…is that really the color he picked? If he wanted to sell who the hell would buy it? My dad fully agreed. 12 years later I bought the boat. First thing I wanted to do was paint her…

Since I’ve had I wanted to paint…but it ran and I used and always found other ways to spend that money.

Seems like I did it again…on a tangent.

Want a good solid reliable boat…it will run in any cosmetic condition. No argument there. But sometimes it’s nice to have your ride looking new and fresh…maybe some want it to impress. I know I’d be happy just looking and enjoying seeing a great looking boat.

So why a 50 or 59 year old boat would I paint. Simple….say 10-15k will get you and ok paint job. With that you get A 59 year old boat that now look like new. What’s the cost of an equivalent “new” boat that performs and holds up like my 59 year old boat. Well a whole lot more then I’m willing to spend at this point in my life. New 35=Bertram 750 plus, new 35 Henriques 400k. So a few years old…everything is still over the 100-150k.

Paint= new boat looks at much less even though expensive and really expensive if done right. DIY is another Avenue which I can’t yet speak to.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I think your paint numbers are light. If the gel coat has any crazing then I would say double your numbers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

My boat came in this Sky Blue awlgrip color which, to be honest, I do not like.
I’d much rather it were white, as white is a forgiving color, this blue one has scratches all over that cannot easily erase or fix.
Also, it attracts heat more than white; in our hot climate this is an issue.
And, what a coincidence, I always find a better use for that 10-15k !
So it’s still that Sky Blue color and will probably stay like this!

Oh, and this winter I will finally paint that boot stripe.
But first I have to get rid of the antifouling on the sides as its wrongly painted and gives the impression that the boat is leaning forward...oh well, I said I’d correct this 9 winters already...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Sep 1st, '21, 21:54 Carl

I think your paint numbers are light. If the gel coat has any crazing then I would say double your numbers.

Your 100% right Tony!

It's my possible number I hold on to with me doing the lions share of the prep. Also its based on MY IDEA of an ok job. I am in no need to have an out-of-the-showroom boat. That may change...it may not.

Mine would look much better if I just rolled and tipped with limited prep work...
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

all I've got to say about painting yourself is go to the gym and get yourself in shape specifically your shoulders.... I've done this on small boats, my understanding every additional 3' of length is a doubling of volume.

think of the process - -

1. sand the hull - this could be nasty if the gelcoat is crazed.
2. fill low spots
3. high build primer - https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrwkF72r53xz1zEs7
4. dreaded long boarding - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xswmHRWxoEyuGLAaA
5. prime again
6. light sand to give the primer a bite
7. paint 3-5 coats - https://photos.app.goo.gl/X26JV2cSdkmq4Sti7
8. wait 2 weeks
9. wet sand with 600 grit - this area was before wet sanding - https://photos.app.goo.gl/UABQLJJEmkz6imYs8
10. wax

This is the boat I sold to my buddy, the hull paint is actually holding up fairly well, the topsides didn't make it that well and was in need of paint within 4 years. All the paint was epithanes 1 part - 5 coats.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yannis wrote: Sep 1st, '21, 15:27 I think that you're better off in life if sentiment follows logic.
I totally agree Yannis,
Unfortunately it has to be like this, unless your moneybags!
Damn shame about Buddy Boy. That boat was/is the poster child boat for all things 31 done right and lessons learned from.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sometimes it's the simplest of things that make the biggest difference.

Pull the plug, what would it have taken...15 minutes to pull the floor to pull the plug.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Yep. Pull the plug. I went outside after a rainstorm years ago and my neighbors stern drive runabout was just about level full. I pulled the plug for him as soon as I saw it but it was too late. He wasn’t much of a boater anyway and that kind of got him out of boating.

And the “twig in the rear drain” is not just a Staten Island thing. lol I can’t hardly walk by my boat or my buddies in the yard without at least a glance or checking the rear drain hole with whatever is laying around.

Sad about Buddy Boy, but you never know what was up with the boat/owner. Sometimes life gets in the way and optional items like boats can get neglected. Even on the high $$ end of things. Neglect make them head south in a hurry, but it happens.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Glad to hear the "twig in the drain" is a boating thing more than a local thing.

Yes, life gets in the way is a very real statement.

Could have been something as silly as I thought he checked, you thought I checked, everyone going by assumed it was checked. Yes stuff like this happens as you said. In a hurry, looking to scurry.

My concern was a particular owner getting a goal to bring the boat back to her former glory. I know it can be done, it's just how much money and time can someone throw at a project AND Walk Away With A Smile When its Done.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The whole "twig in the drain" thing is a little disturbing!!! LOL! Too many possible meanings! :o
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, we do it too, I mean a twig to poke the drain.
Now, Rawleigh has a point there!
Carl

Post by Carl »

...and the conversation has turned, going down THAT road.

LOL

Alrighty then...

I guess we just wait on Peter to bring us some new info to get us back on the right road in the "Time to come clean" post. A post that got a little dirty and headed down the drain.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl, In the interest of pulling this out of the gutter.

I went and looked at Wahine up Newport on Wednesday. It’s a great boat, completely turnkey. With a wonderful caring owner. After a discussion with the owner who’s owned the boat for many years and customized the boat to his family.

We’ve decided we want to do the same with ours and start with new motors. Know exactly what we’ve got and get exactly what we want.

We will be going with 370 Cummins remans, working on planning it all out now. I’ll start a new thread when it’s all ironed out.

Some special thanks
Craig Mac for checking out Buddy Boy with me
Dug, Carl and John Maglio for essentially being on speed dial the past few weeks
Bruce, Tommy and Pete Fallon for the backstory on Buddy Boy
Rob at Raybo for his professional opinion
Bob Lico, Gene, Frank, Jason.

Holy crap this isn’t an Emmy award I left some people out. This is a testimate to the friendships Capt Pat has fostered over the years and why this place goes way beyond boats.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Like this Post you've come full circle.

When you bitch and complain about the hassles of the project...nobody but nobody can say you coulda, shoulda as you made every effort to give those roads a shot. At the end of the day, you know you are making a perfect choice for you and your family.

A repower is not the inexpensive road, nor is it the easy road, but hell...life just ain't easy why should this be any different!

Best of luck to you Peter. Keep my number on speed dial, if I can help out in any way, use it.

Carl

PS- thanks for a fitting end to a great post.