A friend needs help locating a reverse rotation distributor (if I heard him correctly)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

A friend needs help locating a reverse rotation distributor (if I heard him correctly)

Post by Dug »

My friend Marshal owns a mid 80s vintage Bertram 28. He re-powered it about 10 years ago with what I believe are marine power 350s. Finding mechanics who can tell their hands versus their feet in the metro New York area is apparently quite a challenge. As a result he’s doing a great deal of work himself and just finished rebuilding his fuel injection system etc. He is in need of one part before his boat can go in. And he is at a dead end. Miracles have happened here in the past and may yet happen again. He’s looking for a Sierra 18-5485 part or equivalent. Can anyone help??? Please?

Thank you!

Dug
Tony Meola

Re: A friend needs help locating a reverse rotation distributor (if I heard him correctly)

Post by Tony Meola »

https://www.marineboatingsupply.com/18-5485.html

Dug

Tell him to hold onto his wallet if this is in stock.

Not sure if this one will replace it. Same part # but for a Ford Engine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
kross1

Re: A friend needs help locating a reverse rotation distributor (if I heard him correctly)

Post by kross1 »

I have an 83 Bertram 28 with MerCruiser‘s. Basically small block Chevy‘s.
I just put two new high energy ignition distributors from Jegs Automotive.
Approximately $120 each with wires. Boat runs great. Both of my distributors rotate clockwise.
One motor is counterrotating the other is not. There are two different firing orders one is normal the other is backwards.
1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
1 2 7 5 6 3 4 8

I don’t know if this helps but good luck
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I think Mercruisers (GM 350's) use a same distributor for both engines as far as I can recall. I replaced mine with HEI distributors years ago when I was experimenting with performance before I converted to diesel.

Your friend may still have the original Ford 302's and it may be different when it comes to distributors.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
coolair

Post by coolair »

The fords are different. They have a reverse cut distributor gear and a different cam. The big blocks use a large gear and the small blocks use a smaller gear. But the distributor are the same. I have a small block ford gear or there is a place that makes them. You can also try these guys they were only ones that had my ford parts.
https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854