Life raft questions and possibly for sale

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Life raft questions and possibly for sale

Post by Dug »

Hi everyone,
I have a Switlik MD-2 (I think from memory). It's a really nice valise pack raft that is a six man, has an insulated floor etc. I never worry about whether we have an appropriate raft on board because this is a very high quality piece. But it's heavy. 86 pounds to be exact. My challenge is that I'm using the boat differently than I did when I acquired this raft. I haven't had Alchemy out to the canyons in many years. I've been fishing on friends boats for that kind of fishing. Even if we got super motivated and age lost its impact, I wouldn't get out to the tails more than two maybe three times this summer.

I'm considering changing rafts to one that provides good safety but is lighter. I have a very good friend who works for life raft and survival in Tiverton Rhode Island and he recommends the Viking coastal rescue which is a solid 30 pounds lighter.

If you were me, would you make the change? I want to make sure that my family is safe when I'm running out to Block Island or Montauk or slightly further drives and if we went out to the edge once or twice that we would be well covered. But I also don't want a hernia!

Secondly, if you think that a change in my case is wise and you have a better use for the really fine raft that the Switlik is, would you be interested in buying it? I shudder to think what it would cost new. I would be happy to check the manufacture date and model this weekend when I am at the boat next.

I know that we have folks here for whom safety is very important, and I consider myself to be one of them. I really would value some input here.

Thank you! And I hope everybody is well and poised to enjoy a terrific summer!
Tony Meola

Re: Life raft questions and possibly for sale

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

I would go lighter. I looked real close at a Winslow. Since I do not charter its not being US Coast Guard Certified is not a problem. They are FAA Certified. Don't know the difference but they are popular in the aircraft industry on planes that fly over water. They as well as rafts like Viking have very high ratings.

Not sure about Viking but Winslow offers a valise which you can keep in the cabin or you can have have it shrink wrapped and stored in a Pelican case. The nice thing about the lighter rafts is that you can store it in the cabin and put it within reach when you go offshore. Shrink wrapping extends the repacking time frame.

I have heard story's of cannisters not floating free and or getting hung up under the hard top, tower or even in the out riggers.

I believe there are a lot of plus's to the lighter raft without sacrificing safety.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony,

I'm a deep believer in the value provided by Switlik. My last one lasted 22 years before it had to be retired. When I say lasted I mean it passed inspection. I thought that was extraordinary for a life raft.

Good advice however from you as always. I really do appreciate it.

I think a life raft on the boat is pretty critical. Boats can go down really fast if they hit the wrong thing and even 60° water is worse than uncomfortable. Having a raft is important I believe. The one I have is overkill however as I said before too heavy for casual movement. At least the way I use my boat and with the cabin door the width of hours it fits but it could be easier. If I were going offshore regularly there be no question that I would keep it without hesitation. But I'm not…
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Dug-
I did get the 6 man Viking from LRSE and have been very pleased to never use it.
I got the valise (more like a big duffel bag) model. For me the ability to haul it around and put it in the cabin when away from the boat are useful. The lighter weight also makes me think it will be easier for my kids to deploy it in an emergency.
If there is a drawback it is relatively (in my experience) expensive to have serviced. If my memory serves me well it's about 60% of the cost of a new raft.
Good luck to us all!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

You are right things can go south fast. While I enjoy a beer, wine etc from time to time, never on the water. Why, because things go south fast. The raft and EPIRB are essential.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Dug:

I just bought a 31 and it came with a 4 person Switlik along with a nice stainless cradle that I just removed and was planning to sell. It might be a solution as it is relatively light. If interested, ping me.

Mark