general strut questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

saburke17

general strut questions

Post by saburke17 »

Hey Guys, when reinstalling your struts. what is used to "bed" the strut when it makes contact with the hull? I've read some people use a premixed bedding compound from interlux, others say don't touch that stuff. The yahoo who installed them last said he used 5200, but it peeled right off. Always thought 5200 was a nightmare to remove. I built a wood mockup strut and will be dry fitting it as per capt pats instructions. I set it at 10 degrees since my engine beds are now new and i have a blank canvas to work with. if i can get it to fit right, this will put my prop about 2 inches from the hull vs the 5 inches it was and 5 degree's flatter. I'm sure ill be making another wood strut as I'm being a touch aggressive but im now enjoying the layout and fitting part to come.
scenarioL113

Re: general strut questions

Post by scenarioL113 »

I dont think you can go wrong with 3m 4200. Nothing will leak with 4200 and it is advertised to be much less bond strength than 5200

I have used 4200 for many thru the hull type applications and have been happy. Just my opinion
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I know I will start an huge discussion, but 5200 does not have a place on a boat. Why in the world would anyone want to make something permanent or close to permanent. If you need to use it because you are afraid something is going to come loose, then you did not install it correctly.

I would use either Life Caulk or as Frank said 4200.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

so just 4200 the crap out of it? is there a trick to not getting it on the screws or does that help with making water tight?
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I second Frank I Use 4200 with good results.
Jason
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I always put it around the screws to make them watertight. If your base is a good fit, just put the 4200 under it. If not, bed the strut in thickened epoxy first to fill any voids. Don't skimp on the release agent, or better yet, cover the strut flange with packing tape so it doesn't stick! Also don't forget to coat the bolts well. Tighten the bolts until you have the correct fit and let it set up good. Remove, clean bed with 4200 and install.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

What Rawleigh said.