B31 skeletons

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

B31 skeletons

Post by Bertramp »

Hi there ...
Was bouncing around in the cold on Long Island over Memorial Day weekend and stumbled upon two B31- FBC discards in the back row of a marina. Both would require TOTAL redo. Might be great for someone looking to do a conversion (not that I would do, but that's better than a chainsaw) to outboard. Didn't ask pricing, but the marina owns both...and my brief discussion indicated that they would be anxious to lose them. PM me for info on the marina.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
neil

Re: B31 skeletons

Post by neil »

Steve you should. Take both of them,,now that you are retired
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Neil

Steve's wife is from neighborhood, so she is tough. If Steve knows what is good for him, he will leave the skeletons on Long Island.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Waytooslow

Post by Waytooslow »

Courtesy phone for Capt. Bone
1963 B-25 Project (in process)
Atl. GA
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I passed by the Marina today driving back from Montauk and took a look at these 2 Bertram "skeletons"

Bertramp was right they need to be redone significantly. One has no engines the other has stripped engines that are def toast. The owner of the Marina was not there so I did not go on either boat, I only took a peek in the cockpits. One has a tuna tower and the other has a hardtop.

I did not see anything too bad on the hulls from the outside and both boats have the cockpit floors torn up. One of them was the original floor and the other I am not sure but both were pulled up. One had an aluminum fuel tank the other prob original. I do not know the condition of the interior of the cabins but the cockpits need to be redone.

Just on my observation the one with the hardtop would be the better of the two. If the stringers are good then would be a candidate for a restoration. The one with the tower had bigger rudders but I think was a newer model (the front windshield enclosure was black in color if that means anything). Both boats I believe were gasser 31's. Both looked to have original running gear 3 -blade props and looked like 1-1/4 shafts.

I believe the owners of both of these 31' died. I know for sure one of them did. It is sad to see them in this state but that is the way it is. I will post a few pics.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

here is the one with the tower. This one is a bigger mess imho than the other one

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fstJkXobMov8AXEP8
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

Round up and a power washer would make her look 100% better.

Actually for rebuilds, you could probably get them both for a couple of grand. No matter what the hull is the hull. If that is all you care about and are aware you in for 150,000 to 200,000 restore then both are candidates.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I am not really interested personally, I was just posting to see if any one has interest
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Jun 13th, '21, 20:15 Frank

Round up and a power washer would make her look 100% better.

Actually for rebuilds, you could probably get them both for a couple of grand. No matter what the hull is the hull. If that is all you care about and are aware you in for 150,000 to 200,000 restore then both are candidates.
150-200K if restoring to former glory, to usable seaworthy condition, or upgraded to better than new as a total refit with diesel conversion?

Cause I look at the 2nd set of pictures and see a ton of cleaning and scrubbing needed.
Most likely a bunch of rotted supports and bulkheads to be replaced.
A pair of running gas takeouts.
Good tank cleaning
Electrical work
No doubt a bunch of money for questionable items like bilge pumps, getting head operational, fuel lines etc etc...but some of that is not a requirement for a functional seaworthy boat.

If someone is handy on boats with good connections for parts, both new and used, I'd think the boat could be made usable on short money. Now could it be done for less than the cost of a running gas 31'...that is a tough call. My guess is maybe if you negate personal labor and get hull for a song and a dance AND some systems are still functional, like steering, Controls, exhaust, shore power, breakers etc...

Wanna go full out restore...yeah I could see hitting your numbers easily.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I would say at today's pricing, diesel conversion would easily hit 75 grand for new diesels, trans, shafts etc, just for that part of the deal. Then add wiring etc.

Actually I thought I was a little light on the numbers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, 75K for new diesel install I can see.

But lots of room between new diesels and running takeout gas motors that slip right in. Both can make good running seaworthy boats.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I think the trees add character :)

That being said a dumpster and a pressure washer and a few hours labor can do wonders for an old boat. This weekend I rode on a 20' seacraft which my buddy got for free. When he got it, the boat looked an awful lot like the Bertram with the trees growing in it. From what I could recollect 3hrs work, the crud was out and the fiberglass was relatively clean. It still needed a full restore but it was a lot easier to work on.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

haha...the tree's can add character for sure.

With that said, the one "without" the trees would be the one I think for RTO's and TONS of TLC. A few months back a guy in Texas had a pair of lower hour Yanmar 315's with gears for $22,000. Still would need shafts, logs, Props, Struts to get the running gear going... that is a good start on a boat like this. I would say that would be under 35K to include the running gear, the boat, and the RTO engines w/ transmissions and then you just would have to put it together. Yes still nds wiring and cosmetic work but I would have it running for that with no problem...dont threaten me with a good time...LOL

I prefer cummins tho bc I dont know anything about Yanmars. I know I can rebuild or repair the cummins pretty easily and parts are reasonably priced. Honestly if I came across a good deal on a pair of Cummins I will end up going this route. Only on 250+hp tho bc as I get older I have less patience and need to put the hammer down LOL

It always adds up but if you can do the lion share of the work then its not that bad. Also if you are patient and dont mind running the boat in less than cosmetic condition you can spread the work out over a few seasons as long as you have it in safe operating condition.

Just for the conversation for now... I am not ready...until all the pieces fall in my lap... lol

Honestly, anyone looking that one boat in this thread is worth looking at...cant speak for the other one tho
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Those B31 skeletons are a metaphor for life. We all come out of the factory fresh, new and full of promise. If we're fortunate we go on to a productive life with a few adventures thrown in. Then as time goes on things start to wear and breakdown and if you don't pay attention you wind up in a lot with tree roots growing through your bones.

Guess I'll stop here and not get into the discussion of wether either of the two are worthy of resurrection....
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820