Helm parts have started to arrive

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Snipe

Helm parts have started to arrive

Post by Snipe »

The control heads arrived from Rg Rollin Co.and my gauge panels showed up from Seaboard marine
I will be building my pod and laying out the helm in the coming weeks. The quality of the control heads is second to none very happy not cheap but I feel worth every penny.Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Rawleigh

Re: Helm parts have started to arrive

Post by Rawleigh »

Let the fun begin!!! Nice looking stuff! The Sendure parts I just ordered are not quite as sexy as your parts!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

I'm very jealous. Did you get your motors from Seaboard Marine as well? Those controls look top-notch.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i believe i am a absolute expert on those controls after 20 years of ownership. there is really nothing you can explain to a person having the OEM. controls .you turn around when docking facing the stern and your natural standing with hands on your side falls on the levers.you will be able to back into any slip and miss a pole by a half inch off the corners of the transom gunwale every day of the week.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

bob lico wrote: Apr 26th, '21, 16:11 i believe i am a absolute expert on those controls after 20 years of ownership. there is really nothing you can explain to a person having the OEM. controls .you turn around when docking facing the stern and your natural standing with hands on your side falls on the levers.you will be able to back into any slip and miss a pole by a half inch off the corners of the transom gunwale every day of the week.
Even in a 15 kt crosswind?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I love these projects, they are like big jigsaw puzzles.....except a lot more expensive :-D
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Trace I did not buy my engines from Seaboard but I have bought some parts from them they are very helpful!! I wanted the Sox digital package so I can get the nema 2000 connection and put my info on the garmin.plus I added a lot of extra alarms.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

While I would normally say no way you are getting in easy with a 15 knot crosswind. But one day I saw someone do it. Actually it was the yard forman at the marina. He did it using the standard controls.

15 knot cross wind if you don't have any boats sticking out past the pilings in your marina. Lay your boat up against the pilings with the stern of your boat lined up with the piling for your slip. Wrap a line around the piling and then around the stern cleat, and then put the outboard engine in reverse and in she goes.

It is a two person job, but during impossible times you take impossible measures.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes even in a 15 mph crosswind !!! there is a huge advantage over standard controls mainly looking over your shoulder while backing into a slip compare to standing up looking backward with the handle on the levers in your hand.i always go out in 15 mph to 50mph (gale warnings) to be alone fishing for bass . i keep the engine running with the bow into the wind while the men in the cockpit cast into the bunker pods.when i get back i have to dock in tremendous winds so i put the stern on the opposite pole in the slip to the wind and ROLL the stern into the slip .once you are past the two front poles you can keep her straight between the poles with a touch of each lever and huge rudders helping you.believe me phoenix came back from the ocean many a time with a audience at the dock. the main procedure is to use the padded front poles as a pivot point and hard on the opposite engine in reverse and the boat will walk around the pole until straight in the slip.
Last edited by bob lico on Apr 28th, '21, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Snipe, where did you get your engines?
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Trace my engines are running takeouts that I have replaced lots of parts and painted.
Jason
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Nice! That's the way to do it.