Cummins repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkD

Re: Cummins repower

Post by MarkD »

Jason:

Can you please share the size and model of those West Marine batteries?

Thanks,
Mark
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... cordNum=12
Thanks Carl I have been trying to do stuff when I can with what I can get!
Mark I added a link for the Battires.
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Sam's has a group 31 AGM marine battery that I have been using for years. They are roughly $170 or so.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Thanks Jason and Rick. Trying to determine if I should go with a combo battery like Jason’s or deep cycle vs. starting. I have starting batteries now for the Cummins but two are tired.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

They are expensive - but I went with two of the ODYSSEY 31-PC2150S Heavy Duty batteries. In Florida the heat kills the batteries and I have had good luck with the Odysseys - typically getting twice the lifetime out of them, even the Sams AGM Marine Duracell (if you can find them)
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I generally change out my Sams AGMs every 3 years and give the old batteries away. Many times the next guys is still using them a couple of years later.

Keep in mind I'm using them in a CC with twins OBs. Its hard to get batteries in the Family Islands in the Bahamas and you don't want to break down out there.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Rick my old batteries were from 2017 (same ones) and still good I just replaced because everything was new! With the port supply account they are pretty heavily discounted.
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I have been trying to get stuff done but it is slow going today I finished up mounting exhaust. Most of the wiring I need to just get floating is done. Soda blasting was done this week now for the repairs and barrier coat and bottom paint It would be nice to splash this year just for shake down purposes. Not to mention my sanity it’s been a lot of work not to mention $$$$$ . Image Image [url=https://imgur.com/cVrSMLx]ImageImage[/url] Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice. Worked out perfectly.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Tony, Not to bad I could have left a little more room for exhaust wrap it is a little tight but I got it in there. Slowly coming along now on to the bottom. See if I can get this thing floating soon.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking great, I hope to see you out there this year!

One warning, if you decide to splash earlier than "done" it may wind up staying "not quite done" as the work takes a backseat to just enjoying for the rest of the season.
I had full expectations of hauling after my initial sea trial...if I made it out of the well, if I made it past my slip, if I made it past my marina, the harbor entrance, to the Buglight marking the channel...but the boat did and found itself in my slip tied up and ready for another day; there she stayed till the weather got cold.
I kinda stayed that way till this year and we are just starting to toy with the interior...just now making minor upgrades to make her presentable and useable although we have been using all along. But used kinda like having the holidays in a home with a renovation project going on.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

Bring you boat to SC. We boat year round. I already have a boat factory set up!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Carl I hear that but at this point I just need a break!!
Rick one of my favorite stops on deliveries is Wrightsville Beach I hope one day to end up down there!!
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason-

Oh, you earned a break and should reap the fruits of your work in my opinion!

For me, a splash with a good ride would recharge my batteries, giving me new energy to continue.

And if the boat is left in the water....working on a boat in the water is not the work it is on land. On land the work IS WORK, in the water I find the work has an enjoyable aspect to it...almost therapeutic and I do need therapy.

That said...in the water production and progress can dwindle some.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Gorgeous work!!! What size 4 blades are you going to swing??
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

John thanks! I got a used set of 21x24 Michigan going to start with them. I think they will be a little big but it gives me a starting point. I have talked to someone with the same set up and he is running 20x24 and they are a little small so we will see.
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Bottom is done five coats of barrier three coats of bottom paint. Started on the rub rail almost done. This was not the easiest job for sure. I bought it from Danny at high tide and had the corners and bow pre bent. The bow fit ok but corners were unusable i had to cut and miter them thankfully i had enough material to do it. The rail didn’t fit to the boat it wasn’t deep enough i had to grind the whole flange down to make it work. It came out pretty good but once again it was not easy! Should be close to sea trial day soon. ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Snipe on Aug 16th, '22, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looking good! I don’t ever see myself replacing the rub rail but she looks great, get her over the finish line.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wow she is really looking good. Nice work you should be proud.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks tony I hope we can have a get together up this way one day it would be nice to meet some of the guys. I saw Carl this weekend in Atlantic highlands and went over to introduce myself and got a quick tour of his boat!
Jason
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Snipe wrote: Aug 16th, '22, 09:42 This was not the easiest job for sure. I bought it from Danny at high tide and had the corners and bow pre bent. The bow fit ok but corners were unusable i had to cut and miter them thankfully i had enough material to do it. The rail didn’t fit to the boat it wasn’t deep enough i had to grind the whole flange down to make it work. It came out pretty good but once again it was not easy!
Hey Jason, it’s a Bertram 31! They were all built a little, umm, differently? Your rebuild looks top notch. I’m constantly impressed by the talent I see on this forum.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks amberjack I agree they can vary a little from boat to boat. No complaints really it is nice when finished for sure. I Remember a post Capt pat made that said Danny’s rail was for a 46 and wasn’t exactly like stock he also stated the corners couldn’t be bent and had to be mitered. Just trying to help any other guys that are going to tackle this. Nothing that I have done has been plug and play so far but I like the challenges.
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Well I launched Friday and got to do some trials over the weekend as well as some rafting up with friends. I am not done yet but for my sanity I had to go for a ride. The boat performed well I have more work to do but the initial shakedown was great. I have to check the tachometers for accuracy it they are right I might be slightly over propped. There were four guys on board and 200 gal of fuel I ordered a photo tac and will conduct some tests later this week. Right now I make 35 knots wot port engine is 2800 rpm’s and starboard is 2950 rpm’s
At 2400 rpm’s I am around 29.8 knots more pictures and test results to come! It felt amazing to finally take a ride after almost five years!! Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Congrats on getting her in the water. Please post some info on fuel burn, prop sizes, etc?

You have a beautiful family.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Such great news. We are all very happy for you.
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

Congratulations Jason it must have felt great taking her for a ride after all your hard work.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Jason - Awesome news, so glad you were able to get out and run her! I'm sure it has to feel good knowing what you have attained.

I must have missed your sea trial by only a few minutes on Friday. Would have been great to see you fly by...and you would have. We were heading up to the Patton Point Club for the weekend, we got the sea brite bridge for the 7pm opening, so passed highland about 5:30- 6. Hard to tell against the current at no wake. Returned about the same time Sunday...almost headed into the highlands for a swim...but kinda done with boating by then.

The family sure looks happy to have a boat with a wet bottom!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Woo Hoo! Looks great!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Congratulations! This is outstanding news.
Enjoy!
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Congratulations. The boat looks great and the family happy. Had to feel great after 5 years.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Family looks happy, Snipe looks great and is really fast. Congratulations
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Looks great man. I've loved following this thread- you're building such a weapon. Awesome to see photos of her in the water.

Nicely done!!
Max
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jason

Congratulations. Best of luck, you did a great job. You should be proud.

So who is the happiest one in the family. You, your wife or son or daughter. By the looks of your son's smile, I bet its him.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks Tony my son is definitely happy he has been down there every day!!
Thank you to everybody it does feel good to be at this point I need to stay focused and keep pushing to the finish line.
Jason
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Congrats on all your hard work and what I'm sure was a very rewarding shake-down. The boat looks awesome. Can't wait to see here all buttoned up and more pics of you and your family enjoying time on the water.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Snipe wrote: Aug 24th, '22, 08:15 Thanks Tony my son is definitely happy he has been down there every day!!
Thank you to everybody it does feel good to be at this point I need to stay focused and keep pushing to the finish line.
Jason

Time to make family memories.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Good luck Jason...I may have to take a ride to NJ as long as you take me for a ride....I will pay for the fuel... :-D
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Any time Frank I got the fuel!
Jason
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great job Jason!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pretty much the same installation 16 years ago and it feels like yesterday .we have the same performance numbers both engines can rum 2950 rpm but i have 330 hp and run under prop. hand formed 3 blade 21" x 24 " .nice work enjoy
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Congratulations, Jason!

Your patience, determination and perseverance has paid off; she looks fantastic; and the performance numbers speak for themselves!
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Still working on the boat but I can’t wait to be back in the water. My marina is doing a new bulked so I have to wait till June 1st. I finished up all the wiring this winter and some other projects. Had to pull the shafts out and have Carl get some new couplings fit them for me. That’s all back together now. Big thanks to Carl they came out great! Just started the sound down in the engine spaces. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image
Jason
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Holy crap, how do you make boats like that for crying out loud, why mine is always full with dirty water in the bilge...
Congratulations, you deserve it.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

She's looking real good Jason!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ll I can say is WOW! Nice work, really nice work. You should be proud of what you built.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

A work of Art. Congrats, time to enjoy it.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Thanks guys! Yannis I separated the cabin bilge from the aft bilge to keep it dry and clean. It also keeps he smells out. I still have a bunch of work to do but I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. As you all know it will never stop there is always something to do. Repairs to engine boxes and prep for paint is what’s happening now.
Jason
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

When I bought my boat it had a tuna tower installed and the corners of the engine boxes were cut off so I had to glass them back on. I wanted to do that so I can paint them before I install the sound down on them. The plan was to throw a quick paint job on the windshield and the gunnels and decks but I am running out of time. I was going to try and fix the non skid pattern on top of the boxes but I think it will be a pain so I am thinking just sand it smooth. I want to put cushions there at some point anyway. ImageImageImageImage
Jason
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jason,

The non skid on the boxes looks fine, why touch it?
If you put cushions it’s gonna be perfect.
Just touch the corners with some paint now and after the summer you will see...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree with Yannis. Just make a nice even smooth triangle on the corner of each. As long as it is symmetrical it will probably look fine. Unless that will bug you to death . . .
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31