Entry Ladder for a non swim platform 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Nardi

Entry Ladder for a non swim platform 31

Post by John Nardi »

Hi all...Was wondering what the various options people use to enter the boat from the water if one is not using a swim platform? I don't think the single center pole ladder with a single top removable attachment would work with such a high freeboard?? Thanks for any thoughts
Carl

Re: Entry Ladder for a non swim platform 31

Post by Carl »

Bronze flip downstep on the transom maybe 4" wide and 2" deep.

One foot on top of the rudder, the other on the step, grab gunnel, then the hole of pole holder...up and over.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

tks for idea Carl
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

We use this one. It works fine and does not scratch the side and has plenty of reach to go over the gunwale.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8JYz6T4SZZEdYHWi8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qyP9kW5PARrBuktH7
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I use the same as Frank. If money was no issue I would use the one that has a single center pole and slides into a bracket on the transom. I have the bronze steps on the transom, but they are virtually unusable with the angle of the transom.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Do the top loops just go over the gunwale or do they fix into some sort of support guys? thanks
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I use the same one. The loops just loop over. There's a stanchion that keeps the ladder a few inches from the gunwale.

I used to have a rope ladder. Takes up no space at all. Will break your toes if you let it.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I use a ladder under the swim platform, but the use we put our boats to is different, thats why we all have platforms.

The white plastic ladder with the expanding spacers is ok if you're going up straight, if you're not vertical or are holding things that alter your center of gravity or doing other things, then it will probably slide sideways. Nothing will happen, you'll pick it up (they float) and loop it over and try again.

In the 28 which has an almost vertical transom, I have seen those nickeled bronze steps that you described, that reach deep into the below the waterline area of the transom. The lowest one or two are always in the water and they surface only when the boat is underway. The type I saw has finger loops so you can grab and pull up with your hands too.

Another idea is from the bow, take a look at some Botnia Targas, they have a moving three step concoction which they rotate from the bow into the water.

Another idea, probably the best one, is a permanent ladder affixed on the transom, usually in the middle where the boat depth allows for more steps inside the water. The two lowest steps are retractable.

A ginpole would also do, if you attach a wooden step and have someone do the maneuvers on deck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Frank,

With the appropriate respect, I observe you store your broomstick exactly where I store mine!
Beautiful 28 pics!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

I should mention the single fold down step I have gets "me" in the boat. Its always there as a way to get in if I ever should find myself on the wrong side of the boat without someone to help me.

Now others find it an almost impossible challenge to use that step, so when we go to the beach I always carry that hook ladder Frank has in the pictures. Loops over the top with two legs at the bottom that fold towards the boat. They hold ladder off the side giving you some room to put your feet as you climb in. Loops are covered in soft plastic and legs have rubber ends so no scratching. Hoops fold flat so it stores well on outboard side of motors.

I will say where we beach there is often a healthy tide ripping and some boat action so I tie off the ladder to a cleat. A little wave action and tide have the ladder unhooking.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Yannis wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 14:37 Frank,

With the appropriate respect, I observe you store your broomstick exactly where I store mine!
Beautiful 28 pics!
LOL

Thanks Yannis! she is a work in progress. Getting some updated hardware as we speak and lots of mechanical love this spring...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Frank / Carl:

Which particular one is that? I see a bunch of them listed on Amazon and marine stores?

Thanks,
Mark
Carl

Post by Carl »

I bought mine before Amazon was...

There are a few of them that are pretty similar, Sea sence, Garelick what's important is that the bottom step extends into the water a foot or so otherwise people have a tough time getting up. I believe minimum would be a 4 step.

I'll be down at boat tomorrow ( I hope) and get a name
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Have had to enter the water several times Offshore. Bent a blade, wrap a piece of line around running gear. First tie myself with a safety line. Next tie a loop in another line for a foot hold. Get back onboard, one foot in the loop, one in the exhaust, pulling on one or the other lines til get a hand around the gunnel overhang. Not easy but doable. EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have the same ladder as Frank. I wish they made it in 6 steps but I believe 4 steps is it.

I also keep the rope ladder with the plastic steps on board just in case someone goes over while we are fishing. Haven't tried in a while, but when I was younger I rolled Jim's method, grab the gunnel, foot in the exhaust.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Tony Meola wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 22:50 I have the same ladder as Frank. I wish they made it in 6 steps but I believe 4 steps is it.

I also keep the rope ladder with the plastic steps on board just in case someone goes over while we are fishing. Haven't tried in a while, but when I was younger I rolled Jim's method, grab the gunnel, foot in the exhaust.
I added a "step" (actually a loop of nylon rope) that "acts" as a 1st step that someone can grab with their foot to start up the ladder. (ill post a pic...LOL)
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

After a close to overboard situation two years ago in Malaspina Strait posted about here "Foredeck safety on our Bertram 31's" I took the idea of getting out of the water more seriously. I'm confident my wife would have been able to maneuver back to me and rope me in with the Life Sling but it still would have been difficult to get back in the boat after 10-15 minutes in that choppy 50 degree water. So a removable 4 step ladder became a safety decision.

The ladder hooks over the gunwale and on my boat straddles the aft quarter cleat. Like Carl, I was concerned it could get knocked loose by wave action leaving me in the water with no way out while the ladder sank to the bottom. The solution was to splice a pair of lanyards that loop over the cleat when the ladder is deployed.

It mounts to clips under the gunwale for easy access along with a boathook and leaves just enough room underneath for a boat brush when washing the boat.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Doug, all you need is a Tuna door and a gaff, I'm sure that your wife would get you back on board! :-D
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Ouch!!! Hey, when are you guys gonna let us back north of the border? Doesn't look as though it will happen this year.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Well, I am getting my first shot today, so that is progress, the variants are causing a big third wave here, I suspect you will have to spend one more summer in the San Juans, which is not a bad consolation prize, but the water is too cold for me!