Bertram Logo?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Bertram Logo?

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

I posted it in the hobbies section but I purchased a cnc router and have been messing around trying to get it setup.

I downloaded a python based program which will convert images to cnc machine language and used a Bertram logo which I found online and did a quick test with a v router bit. It came out ok but not great. FYI time from downloading image, making machine language, to cut finished was 20min over my lunch break.

I'd like to improve this either with a better logo or tweaking how the image is cut out but would like to eventually use this pattern engraved on a dash and the underside of the acrylic lid for my livewell

Anyone have a better logo image to work off of?

logo I used
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZdXwuMahyYrcxMMj9

machine carving it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EZNHodG6yySwvSAw5

Results
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oyMnSp67AbuHVaDD9
Stephan

Re: Bertram Logo?

Post by Stephan »

KTM-
I think that looks great.
Perhaps a second pass with a lighter/finer router bit would get you the opposite side outline of the chevron and be more suitable for the "R" in Bertram? I also believe the acrylic will be easier to work with than your plywood test.
I'm not familiar wit Xilinx but have had some good luck with Inkscape.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

Looks great to me.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I told you Mat, everything on or around this boat is made during lunch breaks!
If you could also manage to skip the...lunch part, the results would be outstanding! LOL
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Yannis, I eat my lunch during work meetings, I don't run my camera and the mute button is your friend :)

my lunch break is for me to do stuff

I'm going to flip the board over and try again same program but this time cheat the vertical starting point down .5mm that way I pick up the other side of the chevron as Stephan suggested
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raster programs seems to give odd almost unpredictable results especially from pictures. That is something I can't have and reverted back to simple 2-1/2D programs or line drawings for artwork.

The Chevron looks wrong as its picking up the colors/shades...I'd import the image and break down into simple outlines, set one depth for your tool for each feature, or use multiple diameter tools for predictable results.

If not make sure you proof the program prior to running on a piece you have some investment in.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

This is a topic I will probably need to research a bit before making any part not on scrap wood.

my next attempt didn't do any better, it is going over 1/2 of the chevron, just above the surface of the material.

If I ever get this right I will post the gcode incase anyone wants to do this for themselves.
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Looks amazing, that.