Deck repainting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

saburke17

Deck repainting

Post by saburke17 »

Hey Guys, so this winter along with Removing the engines i'm also leveling the stringers and repainting the cockpit. Decks were painted about 3 years ago but didn't last. Im using Alexseal paint and the stuff is absolutely amazing, I've used the Interlux Perfection in the past and this stuff blows it out of the water. I sanded down smooth with 80 grit, then 2 coats of Primer. sanded last coat at 320 grit for 1st coat of paint. 1 full coat of paint, then 320 sand, taped off around hatch openings and then second coat. Sprinkled on the soft sand, let that sit for 12 hours, 3 more coats of top paint.

Side note, my 6 inch rigid sander crapped out and i splurged for the 6 inch Rotax from Festool. Guys not even remotely close, it literally cut my sanding time down 75% not joke.

Before

first coat of color

Second coat plus non skid before i collected extra sand

mostly cleaned up, getting ready for top coat

Final

will keep you posted on progress
Tony Meola

Re: Deck repainting

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice work. Looks good.

I had mine done 3 years ago. They shot it with Alex Seal also. So far so good. The guy that did it mixed the grit in the paint and shot it through the gun. Created a really nice surface. Not too rough but rough enough so you are not going anywhere.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Looks great. Beautiful work
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

thinking of repainting my decks.how does the alexseal hold up?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

How do you like that softsand, I've been working with it too and the family and I love it.
Great job, looks excellent!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Reelcrazy wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 23:41 thinking of repainting my decks.how does the alexseal hold up?
Ray

If you need someone to paint it give me a call. I can give you the guys number that did mine. I took it out to him. He is located about 35 to 40 minutes to you. I believe it was out in Grovers Mill. Easy to get too.

I am sure that for that size job, if you can not get the deck to him, he would come out to the boat.

He did a nice job on mine. Used Alex Seal, it is 3 years now and it still looks good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Saburke17,

Can you give us some insight on the Alexseal Color you used to paint your decks? (I think all of their pain products are designated by a number) Also, any hints/insight into the correct way to mix the two parts correctly would be great. Did you use a two part primer as well?

Thanks,

JR
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Saburke17,

I'm interested in using the soft sand and was wondering how much it took to cover your deck? Is a quart enough, or would you go with a gallon?

JR
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi JR,
Get the gallon. (Or 2qts because it's expensive).
The idea is to over cover after Alexseal is applied. Then vacuum it up after 12 hours.
You cannot apply too much, but you will see if your too light. So key is when in doubt, more.